PDA

View Full Version : Lazarus is working okay but has the wrong owner (root).

peter_from_hobart
27-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Hi All,

Good news!!! I have successfully installed Lazarus + Free Pascal on my Linux UBUNTU Christian Edition OS. It works fine for new projects, however I am unable to get the Examples to compile. The reason for this is that the owner of the Examples source code is listed as 'root', however I don't have a root user. On my OS there is only one user 'peter'.

What is the terminal (Konsole) command for me to change the owner of the entire Lazarus directory and all sub-directories and files to 'peter' (in Linux UBUNTU CE) ?

Yours Sincerely and With Best Wishes,
pew { Peter_from_Hobart }
signing off from beautiful Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
(in Winter time here!).

Almindor
27-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Your best bet is to simply copy the examples into your home. Doing stuff as root, or having non-root stuff in global dirs isn't a good idea on linux.

savage
27-05-2007, 05:03 PM
As Almindor says, doing stuff as root is not considered go good security practise on Linux. You want to have a root account and also a user account that has less priveleges. Then you can have all your projects under your user account without fear or causing too much mayhem.

peter_from_hobart
28-05-2007, 03:31 AM
Savage Wrote:

>As Almindor says, doing stuff as root is not considered go good security practise on Linux. You want to have a root account and also a user account that has less priveleges. Then you can have all your projects under your user account without fear or causing too much mayhem.

I don't think that you understand the problem! I have Lazarus installed and inside the 'Lazarus' folder there is an 'Examples' folder and inside that folder there are many folders (e.g. one folder per example project). The real problem is that these projects are owner by 'root'.... and on my OS there is no such user as 'root' (e.g. root user does not exist).

My OS is Linux UBUNTU Christian Edition... and the way it works is that there is only a single user (for me) called 'peter'. The user 'peter' normally does not have superuser access unless I enter a command like 'sudo' and then I'm prompted for a password.

Can't I surely use a command like 'chown' to change the owner of the Example projects from the non-existent 'root' user to my user name 'peter'?

As I don't know the UBUNTU commands very well I'm stuck not knowing what the command(s) are for me to change the owner of these Example projects.

Yours Sincerely,
pew { Peter_from_Hobart }

signing off from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.