PDA

View Full Version : How necessary are math knowledge and habit...

Bijo
02-06-2007, 06:46 AM
...for (game) programming and the learning thereof?

Huehnerschaender
02-06-2007, 06:53 AM
This really depends on the project you are working on.

A 2D card game may not need very much of maths except of adding points and such, while a 3D ego shooter needs very much knowledge of 3D maths. What is it you want to do?

Bijo
02-06-2007, 07:37 AM
I see what you mean. For my next little experiment after my simple short text adventure I was thinking of a simple Pong (possibly with simple graphics, either DOS-like or with the use of some 2D library (possibly graph unit or a game library)) to get me going. Probably won't need too much math there (at least I think so, heh heh).

Can you give me any easy general examples and explanations of 3D math to be used in 3D programming? I assume it involves manipulation of the x,y,z axes.

Huehnerschaender
02-06-2007, 08:06 AM
"All you need to learn" is algebra :)

Algebra of matrices, linear algebra and vector algebra.

If you are good in this you can do mighty things in 3D :)

But... you should start very slowly. This 3D stuff seems to be too much to handle if you don't learn it slowly and planned.

Bijo
02-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Then do you think that after a simple text game I should make Pong? I'm planning on delaying 3D as much as possible and concentrate on (game) programming solutions / logic, and 2D.

How much math-like stuff is normal for a game like Pong? From the top of my head I'm thinking of: scores; registering and positioning the ball; letting the ball bounce properly; registering and positioning the two moving players; general confinement in a constant playing field.

JSoftware
02-06-2007, 11:45 AM
On a game like pong you could probably do with very simple algebra stuff. I don't think it's math-heavy at all

Angelo
02-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Pong you said?
Is that Ping Ping, with a ball that hits the walls?

I think with some basic mathematic knowledge (Highschool knowledge, etc.) you should be able to create it.

I would say, just start relax and if you may run into any trouble ask us.

Good luck.

Bijo
02-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm asking about the math thing 'cause what I've been doing for a long time now (music and other subjects) didn't require any serious math. Last time I did serious math was exactly in highschool :)

So given this fact plus the fact I'm an inexperienced programmer made me think it might become a little messed up. I've got the main general design on paper, though :)

Cheers :)