PDA

View Full Version : Presentation in... S2DL

dmantione
04-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Hi,

It's not a game, but it has been built with PGD related technologies: JEDI-SDL, Font Studio and S2DL. Saturday I held a presentation about FPC at NLLGG, "Dutch Linux Users Group", introducing the new FPC 2.2-beta1. As many people have already seen dozens of Powerpoint, or, for Linux people, Impress presentations, I decided to be a bit original: Code the presentation in FPC itself, using S2DL.

The result came out very well. For many here it'll be wrong language, but is a very nice example of how you can use S2DL and JEDI-SDL for more than games, and perhaps someone can reuse it for his own presentation. I've uploaded it at http://www.freepascal.org/~daniel/fpcpres02062007.zip

Source code & Linux & Windows exes included.

Huehnerschaender
04-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Very nice!

Only thing to mention is that the gepard doesn't seem to animate framerateindependent. It runs like hell on my computer at 850 FPS.

dmantione
04-06-2007, 07:03 PM
It just had to run ok on my laptop :D I ran the presentation with Vsync on, and then the cheetah runs at normal speeds. Indeed this is one of the things that needs some attention.

godbeast
04-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Nice! Although I don't understand anything, Dutch seems really hard language (as C++ :clown: ). BTW where did you get those charts?

dmantione
04-06-2007, 08:23 PM
They have been made in MS Excel. I did a first attempt in OoO Calc, and the graphics where actually a nicer than with Excel, but I couldn't get the scale right, so in the end I went with the Excel graphs.

Bijo
04-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Man, is that nice or what!? 8) Good stuff.

Nice! Although I don't understand anything, Dutch seems really hard language (as C++ :clown: ).
Dutch seems a hard language for most people (even Dutch people (which is a shame)), but I can assure you that it won't put you off like C++ would -- C++ would kill you instead or keep you alive and in pain :D

wodzu
05-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Cool presentation. Translation to the english could be nice;-)

pstudio
05-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Is dutch realy such a hard language?
I believe I actually understood some of the things written. Not all of it but some.

Huehnerschaender
05-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Dutch looks like a mix of german and english to me. Many things are similar in english, so I guess dutch is not so hard to learn at all.

dmantione
05-06-2007, 02:59 PM
If I would order the West-Germanic languages in order of grammar complexity, my list would be Afrikaans, English, Dutch, German. For a German speaker, Dutch is "simplified" German with a different dictionary, writing system, and pronounciation. The "mix" of English and Germand impression is due some similarities in their traditional dictionary, i.e. appel versus apple, and because many Dutch are anglophiles nowdays a lot of words are borrowed from English. So yes, Dutch is easy for a German and Germans who have learnt it often speak it very well.

If you go from Dutch to Afrikaans you get a bit of the same impression, it looks like a "simplified" Dutch, with almost the same dictionary and pronounciation. Unlike the Dutch, Afrikaans speaking persons are completely allergic of English words (and also of many words with Latin origin because they sound too English).

Going from Dutch to English is a bit different, while English has a less complex grammar than Dutch, it has, due to its history, developed quite
a few things that are uncommon to the other West Germanic languages.

cairnswm
05-06-2007, 05:11 PM
I think its really cool that S2DL can be used for something like this :)

Afrikaans is a lot easier than english. Daniel and I chat to each other in a combination of Duth and Afrikaans which is quite fun :)

godbeast
05-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Afrikaans is a lot easier than english. Daniel and I chat to each other in a combination of Duth and Afrikaans which is quite fun

Seems like Czech, Slovak and Polish - if we drink together we understand eachother perfectly :D However gramaticly Polish is more like Russian

JC_
08-10-2007, 07:00 PM
true :D

chronozphere
08-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Looks impressive! :)

Didn't know you're dutch too :razz:

Traveler
08-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Indeed, you should add your location :)

I'm curious, did you receive any feedback from the audience for not using plain old powerpoint?

arthurprs
09-10-2007, 01:47 AM
Im just wondering why i can get a max of 360 fps on my SDL apps you get more than 1k :shock: HOW?

Traveler
09-10-2007, 08:34 AM
It could be due to vsync

cairnswm
09-10-2007, 11:37 AM
On my ADM 64x2 4400 with a X1650 graphics card I get around 1000FPS and the same application on my notebook runs at 55FPS.

CPU Power, Graphics card etc all make a difference on how many FPS you'll get.

arthurprs
09-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Yes but here i get 1k fps from the presentation and a max of 350fps at a simple SDL app, i initialize it with HWACELL and HWSURFACE :?

get ~5 more or less fps when using double buff

cairnswm
09-10-2007, 12:56 PM
The presentation uses my set of wrapper libraries called S2DL (Simple 2D Libraries) and not straight SDL. S2DL is a combination of SDL calls and OpenGL. Most of the drawing functions used are OpenGL calls and not SDL (In fact SDL is used for input and screen set up only).

arthurprs
09-10-2007, 04:31 PM
The presentation uses my set of wrapper libraries called S2DL (Simple 2D Libraries) and not straight SDL. S2DL is a combination of SDL calls and OpenGL. Most of the drawing functions used are OpenGL calls and not SDL (In fact SDL is used for input and screen set up only).

I did not noticed the that it uses opengl, thx for the reply