PDA

View Full Version : Program Idea

DarknessX
09-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Well, I came up with a new idea, just a little something I was thinking about, and wanted to get opinions from people on whether its a good plan, a horrible plan, or not doable.

So, basically, heres the idea:

Build an emulator, much like DOSBox, except for Win32, which runs a 'virtual computer' allowing for multiple mice, keyboards, and etc, to only affect certain virtual computers. This in effect can lead to multi player gaming, on a single PC, by emulating a network between the virtual computers, allowing for no-lag multiplayer games, on a single monitor- or, in the cases of having multiple monitors, over each monitor. Then if it could be done, make it connectable to a REAL network, allowing for 16 player games, with 8 computers. This could also be used for many other things.

So what does everyone think? I just want some input on it, whether its a good idea, very difficult, etc...

In the near future, I may decide to begin working on this, if its not too far out of my scope.. (As in, next year or so...)

noeska
11-06-2007, 09:35 PM
i am confused ...

Are there dos networkeable games :?

Multiple usb keyboards and mice are possible, but i am uncertain if you can tell them apart, maybe directx can enum some input devices.

You also might want to take a look at this: http://userful.com/products/free-2-user Just found it with google.

DarknessX
11-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Not DOS games, Windows games. Say, Halo... Empire Earth... Command & Conquer 3... Etc, which emulates having several separate computers, on one. Of course, we'd need to be able to tell the difference between mice/keyboards for that to work.

noeska
12-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Mind that hardware accelerated 3d is not going to work.

DarknessX
13-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Why not? Would it require dual-video cards or something?

User137
14-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Current OS emulators are capable of what you are asking. Here's quote from Virtual PC info:

"Virtual PC lets you create separate virtual machines on your Windows desktop, each of which virtualizes the hardware of a complete physical computer. Use virtual machines to run operating systems such as MS-DOS, Windows, and OS/2. You can run multiple operating systems at once on a single physical computer and switch between them as easily as switching applications—instantly, with a mouse click. Virtual PC is perfect for any scenario in which you need to support multiple operating systems, whether you use it for tech support, legacy application support, training, or just for consolidating physical computers."

So.. i guess you would also need both windows active same time. I'm not sure if that part is doable. Windows XP has only 1 active window at any time, and there the active window is 1 virtual OS even though many can be running.

DarknessX
14-06-2007, 03:50 PM
See, what I'm thinking...

You and a friend have a copy of Empire Earth (or two...). You want to play against each other, but have only one PC to play it on. Now, your PC is powerful enough to run atleast 2 copies of Empire Earth at max settings. So, you start up 'x' program, launch empire earth in both, and play via LAN, on a split-screen/multiple monitor game.

That's the purpose of it, so it won't be like having multiple OS'es, it would be like 1 OS running multiple computers at the same time.

User137
14-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Dosbox does emulate an operating system, it emulates DOS. So it actually works a bit similarly to Virtual PC that simulates an entire computer. You can have it load 2 Windows 98 for example and show them next to each other, while making a network between them and connect to internet.

Anyway making these kind of programs is beyond my skills :? good luck...

dmantione
14-06-2007, 05:45 PM
i am confused ...

Are there dos networkeable games :?

Of course, to name a few: Transport Tycoon, Doom, Warcraft, Command & Conquer, Duke Nukem 3D, Red Alert, ....

DarknessX
14-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Yeah, see, now I want one that emulates XP... But 2 at the same time, and without using a whole ton of memory. And if possible, I want to make it cross-platform- so XP games can be played on a *nix box.