PDA

View Full Version : New here.. :)

ntk100
11-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi i just entered here and it's look like a fun place to be :)

i started to build a game in turbo pascal 7 but it's very simple i guess, just three arrays and some integers XD i wanted to add a score table to it and by search i found this forum.
btw this my game and it's my first too..
http://rapidshare.com/files/36595017/RainEscape.rar.html

Nir.

P.s. my english isn't so good because i'm not a native speaker.. and please if someone has idea how to add the game like a world to walk around him, write about it.. thanks.

Huehnerschaender
11-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi and welcome at PGD :)

Wow! A game of 8Kb size :) I did not see such small programs for ages :)

A bit of graphics wouldn't be the worst thing. I found it a little difficult to steer the "character". The keyrepeating seems to need too long to make it a "quick game".

Anyhow. Keep it up and maybe you find the motivation to convert it to windows platform with a little bit of graphics?

Greetings,
Dirk

DarknessX
11-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Welcome to PGD! It is an amazing community. I've loved it since I joined :D

Well, first... I'd recommend stopping the use of TP7, and moving on to modern compilers like FreePascal (http://freepascal.org).

Second, to add a world you can walk around in, you need graphics. The majority of graphics units out there require OOP Pascal (Object Oriented Pascal) which is nearly the same as Delphi. So, research into that a bit... Then look into Jedi-SDL.

Also, I found your game a bit confusing aswell.. What exactly are you supposed to do?

ntk100
11-06-2007, 10:25 PM
first of all thanks for replying..
DarknessX, why i should stop programming in TP7? how fpc is better?
and Huehnerschaender, i don't know yet how to use graphics =/..

DarknessX
11-06-2007, 11:37 PM
TP7 is old, outdated, and basically horrible. It is very difficult to do graphics in (although possible), and cannot (AFAIK) support OOP Pascal...

WILL
12-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Well it's for DOS, which is the main issue. :) Know anyone that uses or wants to use DOS still?

savage
12-06-2007, 06:55 AM
why i should stop programming in TP7? how fpc is better?

FPC supports TP 7 syntax, but has the added bonus of running on Win32, Linux, MacOS, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS to name a few as well as Object Orientated Programming. Look into it, you may like it.

Bijo
12-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Hello ntk100, welcome and have fun :)