PDA

View Full Version : Is a little compatibility too much to ask?

masonwheeler
18-06-2007, 01:37 AM
I've been having some trouble with getting a PNG file to load into UnDelphiX components. Someone suggested checking out alternatives, which are more advanced than UnDelphiX and work better. But everywhere I look, it's the same old story: proprietary file formats, and poor-to-nonexistent documentation just to rub salt into my wounds.

I have a way to convert my PNG image to BMP or WMF, both of which (ideally) ought to be compatible with any object that deals with Windows images of any kind, but I still haven't been able to convert my image and load it up. So here's my question:

Where can I find a DirectX wrapper for Delphi whose image/image list classes know how to handle a BMP-format image? (Or even are aware of some extremely advanced I/O technology out there known as filers!) 0_o With all the choices to choose from, I figure there has to be at least one that can do it. I just don't know where to find it.

Can someone help me, please?

Mason

P.S. Sorry for the frustrated tone. It's just that this *%&#$(*%&^ issue has held up my project for the past week, when it should have been a non-issue, over and done with in a matter of minutes.

czar
18-06-2007, 03:11 AM
Not sure what you have been trying but I use Omega and Danjetx and both do bmp, jpegs, png without any hassles

wodzu
18-06-2007, 07:04 AM
I am using Asphyre. You don't have to worry about converting from PNG to BMP. Just use PNG as your source images. Of course there is a lack of documentation but you have some examples showing you how to load and display images and you can always ask your question on a forum.

Good luck!:)

masonwheeler
18-06-2007, 01:07 PM
So Asphyre, Omega and Danjetx all have native PNG support? I looked at Asphyre, and it doesn't say anything whatsoever about file formats in the documentation, so I decided not to even bother. :P That would have been nice to know...

Anyhoo, thanks for telling me! One other thing. Where can I get a full list of file formats it supports? Knowing that would be very useful, for stuff like creating dialog box format filter lists. And is it possible to specify a format to save as? Looks to me like it only likes to save to its own proprietary database format.

Mason

Robert Kosek
18-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Mason, Asphyre is not very documented because it is in constant development and improvement. Yuriy, Lifepower, is trying to document things as he has the time to do so, between working and improving Asphyre, but it often falls to the community to support people. The best way to answer your question is to look at the source code yourself.

Right now Asphyre 4 supports: JPG, BMP, PNG, DXT.