PDA

View Full Version : 3D formats

Joshas
18-06-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm planing to use JEDI-SDL for a 3D beat 'em up game. For characters I think the Cal3D library is the way to go, it needs some updating, but it shouldn't be too hard to do. As for the levels, I need some recommendations, are there any good and simple open formats, where I could easily include some entities (enemies positions, items, etc.)? Of course I can always save my levels as .x or .3ds and add entities through some text files, but it would be harder for some people to build levels. I'll be gratefull for any information.

WILL
18-06-2007, 02:29 PM
What are you asking for Joshas?

You've posted in the JEDI-SDL forum, but you have not talked about the library other than to say that you are using it.

If you are asking about modeling or models you should post in the Graphics section of the forums under '3D Modeling & Texturing'. If you want to know about loading formats then you should post in the Programming section under 'Graphics'.

Joshas
18-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, not sure where it would fit better, maybe Programming under Graphics?
I just want to know what 3D format would be most suited for 3D levels, that is easy to modify,so I can add my own entities to it in modelling software.

WILL
18-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Ok moved to the Graphics forum.

Answering your question to the best of my ability, if I'm not mistaken OpenGL doesn't have a specific format that it uses. Nor does it have it's own loading library. DirectX on the other hand prefers the .X format. So you can really use whatever supports what you want it to or are most comfortable with.

noeska
18-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Are there pascal/delphi units for cal3d then? Or are you using c?
How large wil your level's be? Maybe you should look at the items/object in you world as being cal3d and you specify their positons from an xml file. E.g. a tree could be a cal3d mesh and as an bonus you could animate it (having the tree wave in the wind)
This is the way i do it in 3D Adventure Studio (but i do not use cal3d, but milkshape ascii and 3ds) Have a look at the (buggy) editor how an level editor could work.

Joshas
18-06-2007, 07:03 PM
JEDI-SDL has pascal units for Cal3D, a little outdated, because springs system isn't working. Using Cal3D for levels is interesting idea, but I need only static 3D meshes for levels, maybe some day I might try to integrate physics. I'm still exploring some "new" formats like COLLADA and x3d as they are open, and likely it would be quite easy to write the loader in pascal.
I initially hoped to find something like Quake map editor, where you can easily build whole level geometry, texture it and place entities (enemies, items, lights, etc.) easily in WYSIWYG way. BSP format is out of question, because it needs commercial (?) bsp builder and I dont' really need bsp - levels for my game will be only viewed from side (like in side scroller game).

WILL
18-06-2007, 08:05 PM
NecroSOFT's 3D engine/editor suite had this... not sure if it's any help to you though.

savage
18-06-2007, 08:09 PM
It would be great if you could fix the only bug left in Cal3D. I tried several times, but could never put my finger on it.

I was actually thinking of porting Cal3D to XNA as well, but lack of time means that that is unlikely to happen.

I am also thinking of suggesting to the Cal3D guys to implement this facial expression system
http://www.satoworks.com/MasterClass/faceAnimPlayBlust02.mpg as it's bone based.

Joshas
20-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Finally I'm settled on good old 3DS format for level geometry. Entities and moveable objects will be added with ingame level editor.

savage, that facial animation system demo is impressive, I sure hope someday it will be added to Cal3D.

michalis
25-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Maybe too late, but here's my answer :)

I'm still exploring some "new" formats like COLLADA and x3d as they are open, and likely it would be quite easy to write the loader in pascal.
I initially hoped to find something like Quake map editor, where you can easily build whole level geometry, texture it and place entities (enemies, items, lights, etc.) easily in WYSIWYG way.

Blender (http://www.blender.org/) is WYSIWYG 3d models editor that let's you export your models to many different formats, including x3d (or it's older versions, VRML 1.0 and 2.0). And Wavefront OBJ, and 3DS too. It's open-source, and this is what I use.

But note that implementing full x3d/VRML support in your engine is not trivial, I would suggest to start with some simpler format like Wavefront OBJ or indeed 3DS.