PDA

View Full Version : GameVision Studio

Pyrogine
18-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm working on an IDE called GameVision Studio. At first it will have a code and font editor. Later I hope to add more tools and debug support.

A cool feature that I just got working is language extension support. You make a DLL and register a special export function and upon startup it will load all the extension DLLs (from your EXE's path downward) and register you native routines. Eventually I want to have the same plugin support for the IDE itself.

Right now it can compile object pascal source (large subset) and create a stand alone EXE. If there are any extension DLLs it will attempt to load and register them.

I hope to release a test build soon.

VilleK
19-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Looks very interesting!

I'm not sure what your ultimate aim with your work is: do you want to write a full compiler as an alternative to delphi/freepascal? Or is it supposed to be a complement, like a extra-powerful scripting language?

Pyrogine
19-06-2007, 09:33 PM
VilleK:

Thanks.

The goal for GameVision is the be a application framework for you 2D game development needs:

1. You can access GV via the API and use it with your favorite programming language such as Delphi/FPC/C/C++ or what ever.

2. Then you can access GV standalone with it being powerful enough to also do the things you need to do. Think "Blitz Basic", "BlitzMax", "DarkBasic Pro" and others but for Object Pascal.

So, out of the box you will have both. The IDE will become not only a code editor, but have support for fonts, tiles and other tools needed for gamedev. What is interesting to me that I would like to point out is not the scroll demo that is at least a year old, but rather the year old demo can be compiled with very minor modification and it still continues to run.

GV can be embedded and it act like a scripting system to enhance you native code or it can be totally standalone. You can extend the standalone with extension DLLs made in your favorite programming language.

So I guess to answer your question: it would be more of a complement. A application framework should, I think give you as much power and flexibility as you need to get the job done.

bigsofty
20-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Excellent stuff... Pascal+decent gaming API+Simple sleek IDE! :)

Well done!

Pyrogine
28-06-2007, 09:49 PM
We've released an alpha build of GameVision Studio (GVS) which is an IDE that can be used to edit/compile/manage object pascal source files. GVS supports a large subset of the Delphi/Object Pascal syntax and can produce stand alone EXEs.

It includes the GameVision API as part of the language and is aimed at developers that need a light weight IDE to code there game projects in. The goal is for it to evolve into a complete and robust development environment for making 2D games. Additional tools to be added include font/title editors and other tools essential to game development.

Also there is support for extending GVS through extension DLLs. For example if you needed to bind your own native code and make it available when compiling, you can create a DLL that will be loaded upon startup and bind your native routines to the system. This will also be expanded in the future to allow plug in support for the IDE as well.

So the GameVision SDK will give you the ability to use GVS stand alone, to expand the system with extension DLLs and use your favorite compiler to access the GameVision API directly. Later we hope to add syntax for C/C++, Basic and maybe JavaScript.

Visit our website at http://www.softbeat.net for more information, screen shots and downloads.

Thanks

SoftBeat Dev Team

http://www.softbeat.net/images/rsgallery/display/gvs_alpha1_001.png.jpg

Galfar
29-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Ok, so here is a test build of what I've got working on the IDE so for. It would be nice to know if you have any problems running on your machines.
Works well on Windows XP Pro and Vista 64 (Core 2 + Radeon X1950).

Pyrogine
29-06-2007, 02:59 AM
Galfar

Thanks, good to know.