PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Graphics Artists

DarknessX
20-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Not totally sure that I should be requesting artists in here, but I'm not ready to make an actual announcement post yet, so here goes.

I'm developing a game, which we will call an RPG, even though it is so much more...

So, I'll post the very very beginning of the design documents I currently have right now.

Public Document (Lays out planned features in an easy-to-understand format):
http://designcommunity.co.uk/MagicRPG%20-%20Public%20v1.htm

Top Level Design Doc:
http://designcommunity.co.uk/MagicRPG-%20TopLevel%20v1.htm

Detailed Top Level Doc:
http://designcommunity.co.uk/MagicRPG-%20TopLevel%20Detail%20v1.htm
Note that I still have to fill out the table in the Detailed document... I'm not completely done it.

Now, I understand after reading those, your thoughts are going to be along the lines of, "How in the hell does he plan to implement ALL of those different types of genres?!?" But I have an answer prepared, because my friend asked me the exact same thing.... If you don't want to read the whole conversation, I posted just the parts I said at the bottom.

мﻮ¬¢¬¢ℓ says:
it's just hard to mix all kind of element in one game...
DarknessX says:
I have the plans already quite clear on how I'm going to do it
DarknessX says:
ill give you an example:
Your career path is mostly a soldier. Your king (controlled by an NPC which is globally controlled by the World's AI... The entire world is an NPC in itself which reacts to everything) decides that another kingdom has the resources he needs to become better- so he goes to war. You are a soldier, so you go to war, and fight the enemy army.
DarknessX says:
If you are a commander, strategy comes into play. If you are a soldier, action comes into play. If you are a spy, or thief, then stealth comes into play. If you are a diplomat, and you are losing, the diplomacy type things come into play, etc.
DarknessX says:
Now, instead of being a soldier, you might happen to have no particular career, and decide to raise a few buildings off in the wilderness. You build the buildings, using an AOE style build setup, and people learn of your town, so they venture in. They have nowhere to live, so they build more buildings (if you are currently not managing the town) and if you are managing it, you tell the people
DarknessX says:
to build them like AOE style.
мﻮ¬¢¬¢ℓ says:
O.o
мﻮ¬¢¬¢ℓ says:
complicated
DarknessX says:
economy comes into play if you were say a King, (meaning you either married a Princess, or raised many towns and built walls and defended it and called it a kingdom), then you must decide taxes, prices of products, importing/exporting, etc...
DarknessX says:
and from a players point of view, my goal is for it to NOT be complicated. Basically, if your a diplomat, you don't go with the front lines of soldiers. You go with a couple spies to get you close to the enemy, or else you hold a big white flag and hope to not be killed.
DarknessX says:
so from each careers point of view, you only have certain options available to you in specific situations.
DarknessX says:
so granted the programming aspect will be VERY complicated, but the actual playing won't be.
DarknessX says:
Hence why I'm going all 2D and pokemon style graphics.
DarknessX says:
does that make any sense at all?
мﻮ¬¢¬¢ℓ says:
yes
мﻮ¬¢¬¢ℓ says:
it's like having a second life..

The exact conversation... Now just the edited parts.

ill give you an example:
Your career path is mostly a soldier. Your king (controlled by an NPC which is globally controlled by the World's AI... The entire world is an NPC in itself which reacts to everything) decides that another kingdom has the resources he needs to become better- so he goes to war. You are a soldier, so you go to war, and fight the enemy army.

If you are a commander, strategy comes into play. If you are a soldier, action comes into play. If you are a spy, or thief, then stealth comes into play. If you are a diplomat, and you are losing, the diplomacy type things come into play, etc.

Now, instead of being a soldier, you might happen to have no particular career, and decide to raise a few buildings off in the wilderness. You build the buildings, using an AOE style build setup, and people learn of your town, so they venture in. They have nowhere to live, so they build more buildings (if you are currently not managing the town) and if you are managing it, you tell the people to build them like AOE style.

economy comes into play if you were say a King, (meaning you either married a Princess, or raised many towns and built walls and defended it and called it a kingdom), then you must decide taxes, prices of products, importing/exporting, etc...

and from a players point of view, my goal is for it to NOT be complicated. Basically, if your a diplomat, you don't go with the front lines of soldiers. You go with a couple spies to get you close to the enemy, or else you hold a big white flag and hope to not be killed.

so from each careers point of view, you only have certain options available to you in specific situations.

Hence why I'm going all 2D and pokemon style graphics.

Ok, so now you've read everything I have to offer.. So please get back to me, or atleast give me your opinion on the game's plan. Thats just the pre-plan, so once I've got a team (possibly with another coder... this is my first team-based project, so I'm not sure how it would work out) I will design the REAL design documents and such.

Edit:
Oh, in the near future.. Payments might be an option, as well. I am willing to pay to get a good product... If I can afford the prices.

Mirage
21-06-2007, 04:37 AM
Very interesting concept.
The main problem will be to correctly implement this:
"The world will react to each and every thing you do, and the “Butterfly Effect” will be present- if you do something on one side of the world, it will affect something on the other side of the world, in one way or another. "

Say, in Oblivion world's reaction is mostly inadequate.
Reactions to some particular actions were scripted, but it's not enough.

A complex AI system needed to implement this to made the world living.

DarknessX
21-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Yes, I do realize this. But the way I'm thinking of implementing this, is basically that rather than scripting ONE thing to do all this for me, each NPC will react to it individually- IE, if you steal something, your reputation for theft goes up, and a king on the other side of the world hears about it, and suddenly he decides you are a threat, so he hires an assassin. At the same time, an underground society of thieves hears about it, and decides your worthy of joining the group... And offers you protection from the assassin which was hired to kill you. And this is all outside of the quests or missions or etc that you are supposed to do, mind you.

savage
21-06-2007, 04:48 PM
IE, if you steal something, your reputation for theft goes up,

I hope that's if you steal something AND get caught.
Will you have the concept of borrowing as well as stealing?

DarknessX
21-06-2007, 05:00 PM
I was actually thinking of the concept of borrowing, but I'm not sure. Chances are I will.

And yes, that is if you actually get caught. Although if your not caught, the guilds might still put a watch on you and see just how good a thief you are before inviting you into the guild. I'm not sure how I'll work this part, but I have a pretty good idea. And if a king happens to have connections in a thieves guild, they might hear about your... exploits and decide you to be a threat that way.

Edit:

I put up an article on my forums.
http://forums.designcommunity.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25

It gives a slightly more interesting description of what happens in the game, as well as going more in-depth on how the Butterfly Effect will work.