PDA

View Full Version : Is Project Omega dead?

WILL
11-07-2007, 05:29 AM
I'm doing up a beginner's guide for all active Game Libraries in the community and I was going to list the Omega Components as one of them, but DelphiSancuary is dead and I can't seem to find a new home for the poor 'lost' library that used to be quite the contender a few years back.

What happened to it?

czar
11-07-2007, 06:01 AM
All development in omega stopped a long time ago. I still use it everyday :) Eric (Firle) looks after it on his website.

WILL
11-07-2007, 06:37 AM
Oh ok... wow. Another post-Hori/DelphiX 2D DirectX library gone dead. :?

I guess that leaves only Asphyre and the new DelphiX libraries as the last survivors huh? :)

czar
11-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Will, you forgot DanJetX which is an excellent 2d and 3d directx library and DanJetX is alive and well. It is current, and being updated on a regular basis by Dan and there are a growing group of people using it.

Personally speaking I am using DanJetX in a major commercial application and in a separate smaller scale commercial application. Then there is Eric and Dirk, who both visit PGD regularly, making some wicked stuff using DanJetx.

On the DanJetX forum you will find lots of other projects and work.

http://dan.mirgames.ru/

Thank you for your attention.

Firlefanz
11-07-2007, 08:52 AM
In my forum I still have some Omega questions from time to time and most of them get an answer.

But it is dead, right, there are no updates or bugfixes.
I would not recommend to use them anymore.

I am still using OmegaInput for my actual projects still :)
I am using DanJetX for GFX and Squallsound for SFX and I can recommend both of them. :D

WILL
11-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Ah, well I meant the direct DelphiX 'spin-offs'. I guess thats a bit of a vague grouping of these tools, but to me it has always meant the projects that were a result of the "Oh crap! DelphiX isn't being updated anymore. What do we do?!" The answer obviously being these projects that became the 'Post-DelphiX Staple' about 5 years ago. These were the ones that partially inspired and kicked off the evolution of the newer ones in development now.

DanJetX, GLScene, etc are more like 3rd generation game libraries, imo. DelphiX was first and the 'big 4' were roughly UnDelphiX, Omega, PowerDraw(now Asphyre) and XCESS. Actually GLScene is more or less 1.5 generation since I believe it was around post-DelphiX area too. (2002-2003 again roughly)