PDA

View Full Version : Silent Walk FPS Creator

WILL
12-07-2007, 06:12 PM
<center>files/news/2007_07_12_silentwalk.jpg</center>

This is a shareware project that has been a few years in the making by Zolt?°n P?©rcsich. He has already released a version some time ago, but has recently started working on it again.

You can purchase the full version of Silent Walk FPS Creator v1.1 for $15.00 USD. Or $19.00 for v1.1 and Pre-Order v2.0.

He is also offering to sell his source for $999.00 USD.

What is Silent Walk FPS Creator?

"With Silent Walk you can create FPS style games without any programming knowledge. In Silent Walk there are basic game elements to choose from. There are walls, 3d objects, enemies, monsters and more. There are hundreds of free textures, sounds and 3d models, but you can use your own items if you want. Silent Walk comes with a model converter which helps you to convert your Wavefront.obj models to Silent Walk animation format."

Video of Silent Walk in action:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6cQhEHIHm8g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6cQhEHIHm8g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Visit www.silentworks.hu (http://www.silentworks.hu/) for more information.

pstudio
13-07-2007, 12:16 AM
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is its relation to Pascal. Is it made in Pascal? Is it possible to script using Pascal?

WILL
13-07-2007, 05:11 AM
It was referenced from the A3D nGine website. I would suspect that it was made with Delphi. :)

I'm not too sure what scripting language it uses exactly.

pstudio
13-07-2007, 08:55 AM
OK, may take a look at it though FPS is not my biggest interest.

An offtopic question and then not.
I've been wondering how people make program like this? More precisely, how do they make their program create an executable file? Do the produce some code which is then compiled by an third-party compiler? or have they perhapsed written their own compiler (which sounds unlikely to me since that must be a huge job)?
I've always been amazed at programs like GameMaker, that 'create-a-game-filling-less-than-64kb-tool' which I can't remember the name off right now and now this program. I'm not looking for a big detailed description of how they do. I'm just curious and would like a hint about how they accomplish such a job.

jasonf
13-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Doesn't this program merely create a datafile for use with the engine?

I've had a look at their site and it appears that the engine doesn't handle different levels of floors, it's more like Wolfenstein (original) than Doom .. by the looks of it, I've not tested it myself though.

WILL
13-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Doesn't this program merely create a datafile for use with the engine?

This is how all the 'game makers' that I've ran into over the years did it. RPG Maker, etc... And people like em and will buy them if it's in their price range.

pstudio
13-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Is it the same with GameMaker? I know that like in Delphi where you have an ready to use VCL Form, GM has a base that is used by all games created in it.

WILL
13-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I believe so. It might also strap on a tokenized script that is then interpreted by the already compiled portion of the exe.

An old compiler from my highschool days called 'Turing' used to do this whenever it 'compiled' one of your programs making an exe that was really just an interpreter for the code you made after it was turned into symbols that it would be able to use a little more efficiently.

Though having a pre-compiled EXE that uses modifiable data files would be the easier way. :)