PDA

View Full Version : GLScene 1.0.0.1 for Lazarus released

jdarling
18-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Ok, this isn't my project but I thought others would like to know:

Almindor2 (http://lazarus.freepascal.org/user.php?op=userinfo&uname=Almindor2) writes "New GLScene for Lazarus has been released recently!
Now almost full support for Linux. Newly fixed features include:
ODE support
Gtk2 support (with minor issues)
proper dezign time behavior editors
FMOD support in Linux!
many bugfixes
GLSL shaders
Cg shaders
most demos fixed and working in linux too

You can get the release here (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=92177&package_id=185641)

More information can be found here (http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/GLScene). Special thanks to crossbuilder for his continual work on synchronization with official CVS version.

I would like to use this opportunity to issue a call for help regarding GLScene for FPC/Lazarus/Linux development. We are very short on manpower and ANY help (including testers etc.) is highly appreciated. We're currently working on fixing the last missing parts (fonts and fullscreen).

You can usually find us in the #glscene channel on irc.freenode.org IRC server. Feel free to come and ask any questions."

savage
18-07-2007, 03:27 PM
A fantastic piece of news!
It would be great if they can get it working on Mac OS X as well now.

WILL
18-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Nice post Jeremy! I was nagging Almindor to post about this before.

btw, the HTML seems to have gone all screwy in your post. Try using BBCode tags instead. :)

Once that other bit of business is over, I'll turn this into a news post.

jdarling
19-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Sorry, literally just copy/pasted from the Lazarus home page. Just in case anyone is curious, it seems you MUST have Lazarus 9.23 and the latest daily snapshot of Lazarus 9.23 doesn't work :(. I'm busy trying to find the exact version that does work. If I do, I'll post a link here. When I tried building with yesterdays snapshot Lazarus simply crashed out on startup, no idea whats going wrong.

WILL
19-07-2007, 02:19 PM
I think they try to leverage Lazarus' new packages system... That might be part of it.

Almindor
20-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes, but we're preparing 1.0.0.2 right now (or to be fair, Crossbuilder is). There's currently an issue with the 1.0.0.1 release where you need to use FPC 2.1.4+ and Lazarus from trunk (don't know exact revision numbers).

The fpc is required because of a Delphi compat. fix in classes unit. I'm not sure why latest Lazarus is required tbh.

It should be noted that while once you get it up it's functioning very well, there are still some issues, like fonts and fullscreen support, but most demoes and functionality now works in both windows and linux.

WILL
20-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Keep up the good work Al! ;)

Do you think we could get a time estimate at this point for when we can see fullscreen working? On Windows, Mac or Linux? Thats obviously gonna be a big one for most.

y offs et
03-08-2007, 06:39 PM
With Crossbuilders assistance, successfully compiled 7/30 snap of Lazarus with Glscene 1.0.0.2 for Win32. Still have font issue tho. Fixes to Glscene 1.0.0.2 now in CVS.

EDIT : I'm on a roll! Dropping Tglscene and glsceenviewer on a form will result in "context activation failed" exceptions. First change Tglscene/object sorting (in object inspector) from RenderBlendedLast to other. Haven't explored them all but great improvement using RenderNearest. :)

EDIT : There appears to be a rendering problem to be solved before this may become productive. I'm a noob tinkerer, not an engineer. :(

EDIT : Windows resolution 1152 x 864 appears promising. Got me thru training. :?

EDIT : Here's a tinker trick. If you slightly overlap all the open windows and set Render(Near/far whatever), the renderer never has to decide between two windows on the same plane. Helps a little.