PDA

View Full Version : Party Type

cairnswm
01-08-2007, 06:30 PM
I've been very quiet lately. I've been working on a project for the latest South African game dev Contest quietly on the side. The last few projects I have told everyone about never seemed to happen :oops: so I decided to keep this effort quiet. :D

Now I present to you a new game called Party Type. As promised in an article in the DevMag, this game is aimed at Girls. Not quite this current audience but I want to see if I can possibly take the game a little further after the contest is complete.

Goals: Party Type teaches school children how to spell and type. As in most typing games the words drop down from the top and the player needs to type them successfully. However in Party Type these word lists are based on the spelling lists chilfdren need to learn in each grade.

Levels: Each player starts at grade one. They need to score enough points to fill the score bar before one word drops off the bottom of the screen. Once the player finishes a level they get shown a report that shows which grades they have finished.

Party: After completeing a grade the player can get ready for a party. The player can select the clothes their manikin will wear to the party. Currently there are three different parties, a normal party (Grade 1) a pyjama party (Grade 2) and a fancy dress party (Grade 3). Each of the other grades should also have a party but I never got that far. In addition I'd like to let the player choose the furniture for their party as well as invite some friends to join them.

Free Play: After finishing certain levels (1,3,5) the player unlocks Free Play levels where the difficulty of the words is based on a 5000 word dictionary. The player will be shown words of different lengths based on the difficulty level of the free play session.

Profiles: Each player of the game can create their own in game profile. The profile will maintain the players progress. The game starts with the default profile of Penny, the name of the in game assistant.

Features:
:arrow: Eight level of graded spelling lists with about 300 words each
:arrow: 5000 word dictionary for free play
:arrow: Player hints with a lip sync in game assistant (sort of )
:arrow: Three different types of parties (to be extended)
:arrow: Unique outfits for each each party (Jewelry and accessories to be added)
:arrow: 10 different furniture items (to be extended)
:arrow: Individual Player profiles

Not done:
:arrow: Sound
:arrow: Furniture selection for each party
:arrow: Inviting Friends to the party
:arrow: Alternate Language games (Currently spelling words are stored as text, in game text needs slightly more work) - My kids are already asking for afrikaans spellings.

Download:
http://gamedev.openhazel.co.za/filecloset/data/files/125/PartyType.zip

savage
01-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Bumped to News Item.

So can you handle non ASCII character sets?

cairnswm
01-08-2007, 07:13 PM
The font is stored in an image - if its in there I should be able to.

Daniel has made some changes to S2DL to make use of FontStudio 4 created images. I didn;t use it in this game but will incorporate it into the next S2DL release.

WILL
01-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Hey William it's nice to see you 'back in action' again. ;)

Hope you are feeling much better than when you last hurt yourself.

I'd recommend dropping a post over at www.grrlgamer.com to see what they think of the game. Since within their community would be your closest target market.

cairnswm
01-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Finally went running for the first time on Monday. Hoping to be running propery next week and back to adventure racing sometime in october :)