PDA

View Full Version : JEDI-SDL Full Installer...

savage
07-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi all and in particular JEDI-SDL fans,
I know it's been ages and I keep saying that v1.0 is coming out soon ( sounding a bit like Duke Nukem Forever here ), but I finally put together an automated installer for Win32.
It can now be downloaded in 3 flavours :
FULL - http://jedi-sdl.pascalgamedevelopment.com/files/JEDI-SDLFullSetup.exe for testing purposes ( it's about a 4.5MB download ).
HEADERS ONLY - http://jedi-sdl.pascalgamedevelopment.com/files/JEDI-SDLHeadersSetup.exe and it only about 1MB.
DEMOS ONLY - http://jedi-sdl.pascalgamedevelopment.com/files/JEDI-SDLDemosSetup.exe and it only about 2MB.

It should install the files to the specified directory, but should also update your particular version of Delphi's Libaray path automagically. It should also update FreePascal's fpc.cfg if you used the FreePascal installer in the first place.

So it's not the official v1.0 release, but I am getting ever closer.

Please give it a test and let me know if there are any problems.

The JEDI-SDL home page @ http://jedi-sdl.pascalgamedevelopment.com has been updated with the URL to the installer as well.

Of the next few days I will be creating purely headers and pure demos versions of this installer.

If anyone has any experience in installing stuff for FreePascal on Win32 or Linux or MacOS X, please PM me.

technomage
07-08-2007, 09:39 PM
nice one Dom.

I'll give it a go over the next day or so.

:D

arthurprs
07-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Downloaded :)

and spreading

bigsofty
08-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Excellent stuff! :)

savage
08-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Ok the new Headers and Full installations are now available for download and testing.

arthurprs
09-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Ok the new Headers and Full installations are now available for download and testing.

Where i can find the changelog ?

DarknessX
11-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Hey Savage check your PM's I sent you the solution for auto-magically installing to FPC :)

For those interested, here is an exact copy of the PM I sent him:

Well, I found what your looking for.

The fpc.cfg found in the C:\FPC\2.0.4\bin\i386 is NOT what you want. What you are looking for, is the fp.cfg. The other file, fpc.cfg, is really only an example file on how to edit the fp.cfg.

The file originally looks like this:

# Automaticly created file, don't edit.
#IFDEF NORMAL
-TWin32
-Sg
-Mfpc
-O1
-OG
-Op3
-Ratt
-FuC:\FPC\2.0.4\units\i386-Win32
-FuC:\FPC\2.0.4\units\i386-Win32\*
-FuC:\FPC\2.0.4\units\i386-Win32\rtl
-g-
-p-
-b-
#ENDIF

#IFDEF DEBUG
-TWin32
-Sg
-Mfpc
-Cr
-Ci
-Co
-OG
-Op3
-Ratt
-g
-p-
-b-
#ENDIF

#IFDEF RELEASE
-TWin32
-Sg
-Mfpc
-O1
-O2
-OG
-Op3
-Ratt
-g-
-p-
-b-
#ENDIF

But, as you can see, the ifdef's check the mode. So if you only want to use certain libs in certain modes, this is where you place them. When you are adding new items, you add them as seen below, but to change the type, change the switch before the directory. Example, for a unit, it is Fu.
For an Include (Inc) file, it is Fi, and for libraries and objects respectively, Fl and Fo. For an example, look below. The directories I added were:
//Units\\
C:\UNITS1
I:\MyUnits\UNITS2

//Inc Files\\
C:\INCLUDE FILES1
I:\INC FILES2

//Libs\\
C:\LIBRARIES
I:\Lib\LIBRARIES2

//Objects\\
C:\OBJECTS
I:\Obj\OBJECTS2

# Automaticly created file, don't edit.
#IFDEF NORMAL
-TWin32
-Sg
-Mfpc
-O1
-OG
-Op3
-Ratt
-g-
-p-
-b-
#ENDIF

#IFDEF DEBUG
-TWin32
-Sg
-Mfpc
-Cr
-Ci
-Co
-OG
-Op3
-Ratt
-FuC:\UNITS1
-FuI:\MyUnits\UNITS2
-FiC:\INCLUDE FILES1
-FiI:\INC FILES2
-FlC:\LIBRARIES
-FlI:\Lib\LIBRARIES2
-FoC:\OBJECTS
-FoI:\Obj\OBJECTS2
-g
-p-
-b-
#ENDIF

#IFDEF RELEASE
-TWin32
-Sg
-Mfpc
-O1
-O2
-OG
-Op3
-Ratt
-g-
-p-
-b-
#ENDIF

Note that they are only in the Debug section, which is because of the compile mode, set in the fp.ini file located in the same directory, is normally set to Debug during production. If the mode is changed, the libraries are no longer accessible...

[Compile]
CompileMode=DEBUG <----- I switched this to release, and I could no longer access the edits.

[Editor]
DefaultTabSize=8
DefaultFlags=20599

savage
11-08-2007, 07:55 AM
As mentioned :

This helps, but still does not address the issue of finding this particular file in a consistent way for all FreePascal users, so that it can be edited. Scanning the whole HD during the installation seems unacceptable to me.

Also Is the change from using fpc.cfg to fp.cfg something new to FreePascal? In the past I always added the paths manually to fpc.cfg.

DarknessX
11-08-2007, 08:04 AM
It might be, but over much experimentation, I found the fpc.cfg file was nothing more than an example file... Mind you, I could be completely wrong, but when I added new units via FPC's internal Directories... option, it was added to the fp.cfg, and not fpc.cfg.

# Config file generated by fpcmkcfg on 8/11/2007 - 3:59
# Example fpc.cfg for Free Pascal Compiler

Thats what is shown at the top of my fpc.cfg file... So it is quite likely that you can add it to fpc.cfg aswell, and without as much hassle... I just never knew it :P

technomage
11-08-2007, 09:26 AM
This line at the top of the fp.cfg file states you should not edit the file.

# Automaticly created file, don't edit

Adding the lines to fpc.cfg is correct.

DarknessX
11-08-2007, 03:35 PM
OK, so if you edit the fpc.cfg, how do you make FPC look at it? I added lines to the fpc.cfg, and it did not work...

savage
11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
It's always worked for me in the past. Btw, I've just uploaded new installers that should now check to see if FreePascal exists in the Uninstaller part of the registry. This of course means that they user must have used the FreePascal installer to start off with.

Could someone who has used the FreePascal installer, please test it. I have also added a Demos only installer which obviously does not mess round with any registry settings.

technomage
12-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Hi Dom

I tested the installer, works OK. I didn't get any entries in my Delphi library paths, but that might be because I have both Delphi 5 and BDS 2006 in this machine.

In addition, my FPC is 2.0.2 not 2.0.4 so no changes were made to the fpc.cfg. But I think I did not use the FPC installer so that's probably correct.

Nice work :)

savage
12-08-2007, 08:23 AM
I tested the installer, works OK. I didn't get any entries in my Delphi library paths, but that might be because I have both Delphi 5 and BDS 2006 in this machine.

Even if you have both Delphi 5 and BDS installed it should still work. Did you have Delphi 5 and BDS closed when you ran the installer?

technomage
12-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Both were closed.

I'll try again and see what happens.

savage
12-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Hmm, Actually which installer did you try? Note that the Demos only one does not write to the registry.

If it still fails could you please have a look at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\Delphi and tell me which version you have listed there and if your 5.0 subkey has a Library/Search Path variable.

Also please check under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\BDS and let me know what versions you have there as well. I'm currently checking for 5.0 but I may have gotten that wrong.

technomage
12-08-2007, 11:43 AM
under the Delphi key I have a 5.0 entry, but no sub keys to do with Library Paths.

Under Borland/BDS/4.0/Library there are entries for "Search Path" and "Browsing Path"

savage
12-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Ah ok, I was only checking for 4.0, but I also needed to check for 5.0 and also needed to update the various Browsing Paths.

I have just uploaded new versions of the installers with these fixes. Please try them out when you have a second.

Does anyone know where Delphi 5 keeps its Library and Browsing Paths, because 4, 6 and 7 have them in the location I mentioned previously.

Almindor
14-08-2007, 11:23 AM
FPC always reads fpc.cfg if it's in right path. In windows this means it must be placed where the binary of FPC is (and I think $HOMEDRIVE/$HOMEDIR/fpc.cfg is also checked).

The only way to NOT use fpc.cfg (if it's in right place) is to use -n option.

fp.cfg is useless for non fp users.

Wizard
22-08-2007, 06:33 AM
Hi, I downloaded the full setup file. The download was succesfull but it was not added to Delphi. I have Delphi 6 Enterprise edition.

savage
22-08-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi Wizard,
thank for testing it out. Which Operating system do you have? I tested it with Delphi 6 at the office and it worked. hmm, I'll test it out again today.

Wizard
22-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Windows XP Service Pack 2. It downloads all files to the program files folder but when I start Delphi nothing is added :-( I restarted the machine and did the instalation twice but nothing helps...

I'd appreciate your help as I want to move on from DelphiX to something new :-)

savage
22-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Can you clarify what you mean by nothing added?

There are no JEDI-SDL components as such that get installed with this installation. All it does is update your library and browse path in "Tools->Environment Options->Library".

Wizard
22-08-2007, 07:37 AM
Oh I see :-) I was looking for components to be added :-) The Library and browse paths have been updated :)

I tested a few demos and it seems to work :-)

Thanks for the help 8)

savage
22-08-2007, 09:37 PM
New zips and installations have just been uploaded. There is a minor enhancement that Dean has put forward to sdlinput.pas and some sdl.pas clean up. Both of which should not affect anyone. Rather than downloading the whole lot you could always grab the latest version of these 2 files from sourcesafe.