PDA

View Full Version : Tileengine progress

Andreaz
29-08-2007, 05:59 AM
Was a long time since i've posted anything about the tile engine.

I've changed a few things since the last time, now it uses layers in the more traditional sence (was forced to change this to be able to use the z-buffer for layer ordering).

Tiles now supports flipping and mirroring (saves alot of tiles in the tileset). Added cathegorys to tiles and arbitrary locations in the tile selector.

The tileset editor is quite near completion, just some polishing and support for editiing tile animations. This has been a quite big task to get working in a good way, this is however not an image editor, it's just for defining tiles, cathegories and tile palettes. Alot of tileengines just juses a regular grid for the tiles, but as i wanted arbitrary sized tiles and mirroring this just wasn't possible.

I'm using vertex arrays for the rendering, my demo app renders one 1024x1024 (32x32 tiles) at 750FPS with culling.

I'm planning to get a demo version of the editor out soon!

Huehnerschaender
29-08-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm using vertex arrays for the rendering, my demo app renders one 1024x1024 (32x32 tiles) at 750FPS with culling.

That sounds very fast... good work!

pstudio
29-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Sounds great. I'm looking forward to see what your tile engine is capable of. I've put a game on hold, just to wait and see what the tile engine has to offer me. I'm to lazy to do the work myself when I know you're working on it for Phoenix.

Will the engine be focused on a special type of game like jump-n-runs or will it be flexible to cover more game types only limited by the programmers imagination?

Andreaz
30-08-2007, 05:14 AM
Will the engine be focused on a special type of game like jump-n-runs or will it be flexible to cover more game types only limited by the programmers imagination?

Well, rectangular rpg's and platforms for shure, I have a few ideas on how to get it isometric without writing to much additional code so that's my hope that that will be there to.

It's tricky designing it in such a way that it will offer everything everykind of game needs, but i'm giving it alot of thought to get it as flexible as possible.

Diaboli
01-09-2007, 08:47 PM
looking forward to this. i'm tired of unDelphiX problems (got vista, no good)...

Huehnerschaender
10-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Any progress here? I threw an eye on your engine today.... I am looking out for alternatives to Delphi and D3D, just to play with it and maybe test it on different systems. I suddenly like the idea of programming cross platform.... So how are you going? Anything nice you can show? I really hope so :)

Greetings,
Dirk

PS: Nice work so far.... Hopefully I can use this for one of my next projects...

Andreaz
12-09-2007, 05:43 AM
The progress is going along just fine, completed loading and saving using a backwards compabible chunkbased format. (This means that maps made in this version will be possible to open in the following versions)

Check it out here: www.phoenixlib.net/files/phxTiles.zip