PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL, DirectX, And Library Help

Demonkid43
30-08-2007, 01:29 AM
System: Windows Xp Pro + Nvidia Video Card 5500X
N/A
N/A

Hey guys i was looking through some of my old posts and decided to jot a few questions down and maby it will help me to get started on a new pong game so here they are

Although probly possible to use the pheonix library to make a pong game...would it be advisable?

OpenGl and DirectX as rendering platforms?
Whats a rendering platform?

I know that OpenGl does not support sound input and DirectX does ...so does this meen if i want to make it beep after every time the ball hits somthing i would have to use DirectX?

Is OpenGL and DirectX just librarys like Jedi-sdl?

so a sprite is a bunch of pictures moving in a fast fram rate to make movment and a sprite engine is used for this...

can i get a little more detail on sprites and what exactly a sprite engin is and does?

collision checking how does it work and is it simply like the tutorial on delphigamedev not bumping into walls and/or objects?

descriptions of
Jedi-sdl
OpenGL
and DirectX

Would it be advised to use Jedi-sdl for a Pong game?

Thats all the notes i have taken and all the questions I have for the moment.

DarknessX
30-08-2007, 02:55 AM
Both Jedi-SDL and Pheonix Engines would be perfect choices for a pong game, I would think. Both are 2D, both do everything you need (as far as I know :P)

OpenGL not support sound input? I dunno what you mean by that, but you could play an mp3 song in Opengl every time the ball hits something, if you wanted... or you could stick with the bland ol' beep.

Edit: Read the rules too... your post will be deleted if you don't.

vgo
30-08-2007, 06:24 AM
OpenGL is a cross-platform graphics API, you draw stuff with it and it doesn't have any kind of support for sound, input etc. This is pretty much the only option for graphics if you want your game to run on Windows, Linux and Mac.

To use sound with OpenGL application you can use pretty much any sound library you can get your hands on, even DirectSound which is included in DirectX.

DirectX is a compilation of different APIs/libraries that can handle drawing, sound, input and networking. It only works on Windows (and through emulation on some other platforms, but not very well).

JEDI-SDL is a cross-platform library for graphics, sound, input and networking, a bit like DirectX, but it has support for Windows, Linux and Mac. It has it's own native drawing functions, but you can also use OpenGL with it. It handles all the low level stuff for you, like creating the window etc.

Sprite engine usually handles drawing and collision detection for the sprites. For collision detection you can use a combination of distance checks, color checks and bounding circles/rectangles to see if the sprites overlap with something and then deal with the collision response (destroy sprite, reverse movement etc.).

I'd recommend JEDI-SDL for graphics and input, it's a lot easier to use than DirectX. But there's libraries that are built on top of them and they do more than just the basic stuff, but I think it would be best for you to actually learn to do some of the "low level" stuff first so that you have better understanding about things, how they work and most importantly why something is done in certain way.

Demonkid43
30-08-2007, 08:39 AM
were could i find a sprite engine?

WILL
30-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Demonkid43; you're going to need all 3 lines, put N/A if you think that it's unneeded.

Also your subject line is too cryptic. Noone knows what the basis of your problem/issue is.

This forum is a 'hot-line' so rules are more strict here than the others. Read over the rules carefully. Thanks.