PDA

View Full Version : Pong II Turbo - Hyper Paddlers Edition First Tests

seiferalmasy
04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
FTP://apps:apps@dlpb.kicks-ass.net/pong.rar

Hope you enjoy. Ok so the title of this game may need changing;)

hehehe

Get me some feedback! any at all, improvements, concerns, bugs.

I would be most pleased to know:

If game runs good in linux and vista
If game controller accepts setup

To start go to>setup then set your player modes (2 player mode is customisable) then back to the main screen and select new game:)

Also see here for other notes>

http://forums.rpgamers.net/showthread.php?p=43026#post43026

note also that to perform a Super ball you need to press forward at the correct time, just before the ball makes contact. This will help especially against federer;) remember this is a incomplete alpha really

godbeast
04-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi seiferalmasy. I checked out your game:)

I'm playing it for about an hour now, this is what i found out:

In 1 player mode, this is almost impossible to score playing medium or very easy level (I couldn't score anyway :wink: ). The neat trick is that if you don't move, you'll eventually (fifty fifty) score after 5-6 hits. It appears that cpu doesn't like when you take no action.

In 2 player mode, I couldn't move horizontally. Is that the concept?

Classic table (without colours) is the only one where I could hear when ball makes contact.

In space table, a ball is a little bit unspotable. Moon looks cool, but if you play federer... 8)

Generally, your pong runs perfect in XP Home sp2.

chronozphere
04-10-2007, 05:56 PM
ah good job :)

I played it a few times... but i think the computer enemy is unbeatable :(
Can you make it a little bit less difficult?

I also noticed that in many setup tabs, there was A LOT of empty space, which i think doens't look good.

The graphic's could be improved too... you could use a goodlooking ball image for a start :razz:

But i see your on the right path... keep up the good work! ;)

arthurprs
04-10-2007, 06:15 PM
As said AI is unbeatable,

runs fine on XP PRO sp2

=)

seiferalmasy
04-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Ai is not unbeatable, just very very hard, especially federer. Stop moaning you wimps! (I have beaten federer 10-7) I finished tge game I created. Take it you still stuck on Auntie Audrey rank or Liquid paddle ;)

You must go up to the fence with your paddle and execute the fast ball tenchinque at higher AI:) It becomes impossible to score away from the net in the end.

get playing hehehehe

I will see about that bug of leaving the game and scoring;) How do you mean after 5-6 hits it gives you a point? I cant replicate that?

and as for being stuck in 2 player mode, you must choose to "move left and right" and uncheck "force move to centre" this will allow you free movement:) Mess with the options and you'll see:)

and finally, there is only small sound for table tennis mode at the minute;) this is very early version of the game:)

czar
04-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Hmm, there is something not quite right with this game. I have just played for 10 minutes and not scored once. The enemy bat travels the height of the screen, even if it has to go from all the way from the bottom to the very top. I think that the enemy moves too quick on level 1.

So before you slag people off for being wimps I think you may need to revisit your game. If a person just starts they should be able to expect a fair game. Why do people play again and again? Because they are sure they can beat the computer. Well after playing for ten minutes and not scoring a single point I gave up. There appears to be no challenge.

One other thing, the game starts and the ball is fired towards you immediately, I lost 3 points just trying to work out the controls.

BTW I just fired the game up and used file "new game" - I changed no settings.

seiferalmasy
04-10-2007, 06:40 PM
oh come on czar it was obviously a light hearted dig:) Not an insult!

I assure you it is beatable, There paddle speed is set s is the speed of the game, if 1 slows down, the other is bound to:) but I will have to see what you mean?

czar
04-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah I understood that - I didn't take the wimps part seriously. I meant to say that it is not mainly the player at fault it is the difficulty curve of the game. It starts at a very difficult level - which will put off the player.

seiferalmasy
04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I set the difficulty at the peak to be a challenge to me, I know this means its gonna be hard as nails to some;) It takes me many goes to beat federer and soemtiems very hard. But the rest should be dooable, esp v easy-normal. As long as you move to the fence. If you are experiencing problems with very easy and easy, then it is more than likely not your bad play, as noone should find that hard:)

Let me know specifically whats the problem....move right to the fence and tell me if its still too hard.

Also note that rally mode, I can get 263 and thats not really trying. But again, everyone should be able to get 100+

seiferalmasy
04-10-2007, 07:26 PM
I just gave the game to a friend of mine, a girl who is really rubbish at games. she lost 2-10 aghainst the easy mode (and normal) on her first go and admits she could have done much better,

So, either something is happening to make it harder for you or...you are not moving off your spot and playing the fence:) will need to know. Keep me posted ppl;) and thanks so far!

godbeast
04-10-2007, 08:13 PM
How do you mean after 5-6 hits it gives you a point? I cant replicate that?

I mean that when you don't move the table at start and the ball hits it, after a few contacts the ball gets an angle with looks like 30-40, but the cpu cant get rid of that and looses :D I noticed it playing normal level, but it happens very rarerly (3 times during 1 hour gameplay).

seiferalmasy
04-10-2007, 09:32 PM
How do you mean after 5-6 hits it gives you a point? I cant replicate that?

I mean that when you don't move the table at start and the ball hits it, after a few contacts the ball gets an angle with looks like 30-40, but the cpu cant get rid of that and looses :D I noticed it playing normal level, but it happens very rarerly (3 times during 1 hour gameplay).

How you mean "when you don't move the table" also, the cpu can be beat by steep angles on normal;) but as you will see, on very hard it actually gives the cpu an advantage;)

seiferalmasy
05-10-2007, 03:49 AM
I think you mean by moving into the ball and wall it flies off at 45 degree? Well, that is simply cause you squashed the ball. I can change that angle;) to a les steep one I suppose

seiferalmasy
05-10-2007, 05:00 AM
Before I add these ones I have beta test 2 out:) a few bug fixes and addons.
----------
I have looked into the AI and found very hard mode to be as hard as federer in a way so I have made it slightly easier (since it is feasible to beat all cpu's 10-0, though you only have to beat federer for maximum points)

The rest is certainly easy. Easy-very easy I didnt have any trouble with, normal is pretty easy, hard is dooable:)

make sure that you are going to the fence and timing the hit right to maek the ball speed up (by pushing forward immediately before contact. You cannot cheat by repeatedly hitting it)

Playing near the fence is the only way to beat AI as its reaction time increases and it has a paddle speed mostly the same as your own.

Wizard
05-10-2007, 07:06 AM
When I go into GameSetup, the game screen flickers very bad :-(

WinXpSp2

seiferalmasy
05-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Prob the timer....which part flickers the settings or the main game screen?

Well u say game screen, so...well I will send another vewrsion, tell me if it is sorted:)

seiferalmasy
05-10-2007, 07:33 PM
There is a new beta now available which should sort that problem whilst adding a few other things and options:)

Wizard
08-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Ok the flicker is gone. There's still one flicker when clicking on game setup, but then it it opens the setup screens and the flicker is gone :-)

Good luck!!! Ps. You should realy work on a nice background (instead of a black screen) and use a ball instead of a square :idea:

seiferalmasy
08-10-2007, 05:43 AM
ahh but;) the idea is it is classic and classic with colour;)

the other scheems when added will account for more graphics, such as space uses a moon;)

Good to have choice no? Plus using squares and rectangles is better for the eye and collision detection, since I had to use non pixel collision detction (or you would have differing difficulty of games, plus delphix not very good with animated pixel collision)

regardless, it is good to offer people both the old and hopefully something new;)

seiferalmasy
18-11-2007, 05:02 AM
Beta 7 soon. The other thread can be locked. This one was the one I was meant to write this in:

I never suspected having 4 players (Didn't want to write 4-play xD) in 1 game could be such a task but seems to have got very complicated, loads of messing about and worrying if I have duplicate code which I shouldnt have and loads of extra variables and new modes to try

But 4 people are now supported in this pong and soon I release beta 7.

Graphics and SFX have taken back seat for a while until I get this outta the way

So far I have 6 Indivual modes and miles more options than last time. Also, 1 player mode has a few extra game types and I will add more later.

6 diffeent modes:

1 player
2 Player
2 vs 1
3 player
2 vs 2
4 player

I have also had to devise a new method of supporting 3-4 people on a normal recatbgular game area, Hope you like it.

Seifer