PDA

View Full Version : Retro remakes competition will open soon !

Momor
24-05-2003, 12:51 PM
Great news : the Retro Remake competition will open on the 1st of June.

The rules will be published at this date, but some early information is available on the forums of the RR site : http://www.remakes.org

One unique feature seems to be that EVERY entry will receive a prize (for now a full Darkbasic copy).

I think this is a another great opportunity for the Delphi Game creation community. Spread the word :D

Momor
01-06-2003, 06:52 AM
Hey the competition is opened ! The rules are here:

http://www.remakes.org/website/competition.php

Traveler
02-06-2003, 07:31 AM
I'm not sure yet about the game, two months isn't really that long, but I'll give it a try.

cairnswm
02-06-2003, 08:13 AM
I am going to enter the competition. I aim to do a remake of the only arcade game I ever enjoyed.

Once things are working I'll get downloads available from my webpage.

Traveler
17-06-2003, 08:04 AM
The compo is 17 days underway now and I was wondering how many of you are actually working on an entry?

My entry is not going too well atm. As usual I want to do things the hard way and as a result I'm having some difficulty putting it together.

The graphics part is going better though. This is a wip of the menu screen... (click on the img to see a larger version)
http://www.gameprogrammer.net/pics/outside/newrenderSmall.jpg (http://www.gameprogrammer.net/pics/outside/newrender.jpg)
Note, The craft on the right still needs texturing...

I welcome any comments you might have

cairnswm
17-06-2003, 08:59 AM
My game isn't going so well. I almost changed jobs now and that just seems to be getting in my way all the time :)

Not sure if I am going to have a game ready for the competition :(

savage
17-06-2003, 12:11 PM
The compo is 17 days underway now and I was wondering how many of you are actually working on an entry?

The screen shot tooks excellent!! Is if a defender clone or have I missed the mark on that guess?

Alimonster
17-06-2003, 01:32 PM
I agree -- the pic looks really cool! If the rest of your game looks like that then you'll kick ass in the compo. Just get it finished of course 8).

NoPanik
24-06-2003, 06:28 PM
I'm trying to code a remake of a remake of Trailblazer..., dont think it'll be a top 10 hit, but it's merely phun to do (fine memories) and should help me get familiar with both Delphi and directx. Don't expect any Traveller-like stuph.

WILL
26-06-2003, 02:55 AM
I started to make a Night Stalker Clone a while ago, but the AI sucks. It was done with DelphiX of course. Not my best work, but it's workable.

For those of you who were not around before Japanese companies took over the console gamming world. It was a game made by Matel for the Intellivision. Really addictive game back in the day.

If anyone wants to redo the AI, I'd be glad to finish it.

Eriken
17-07-2003, 11:24 AM
2 weeks and a few hours away... The Deadline for the competition..

So, how's everyone doing? Starting to get stressed out? Looking at the time every 2 minutes?

If it's any comfort, we're abit worried about time as well, the DGDev-team which have made some effort to make a little something :twisted:
_____
Eriken

cairnswm
28-07-2003, 07:17 AM
Not enough time to really do things properly. I have spent about 10 hours on my game so far but it looks great:

http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/timepilot/index.htm

Only screen shots for now. I'll try add the EXE and source later today if I get time.

savage
28-07-2003, 08:17 AM
That looks very authentic. I was big fan of 1942 as well. Pumped a small fortune into that baby.

cairnswm
28-07-2003, 08:26 AM
Thanks

I just want to fix a bug for game over then I'll put the EXE and source onto the web page.

The program has been written without using objects at all. So everything is stored in Record based arrays (not good). Also the use of ticks may actually cause a problem on really fast machines.

Oh well - dont have time to fix it so it will go in as it looks now.

cairnswm
30-07-2003, 06:31 AM
All Finished :)

http:\\www.cairnsgames.co.za\timepilot\index.htm

Includes all Source code - and some utilities if you want them.

Executable (including all images) 1MB - Zipped 300KB
All images, Source, EXE, Utils - Zipped 1MB
Images and Source - Zipped 500KB

Note this source code is freeware - you can take it and use it for anything. I do not expect anything for it. Just please dont download it and send it in for the remakes competition :cry: .

The following aspects of the game can be improved:
1. Some intelligence on the enemies to hunt and kill the player
2. Guided missiles should actually try and target the player
3. Add additional logic for guided missiles in 1982 and 2001 phases
4. High Score function
5. Multiplayer function (The other player appears as a plane on your screen).
6. Change all images to 8 bit as it would make the game look better and smoother
7. Enemies and player should be able to face 16 directions instead of just 8 (The missiles already do)

I also wanted to make a 6th stage - Starwars - with lasers etc :twisted: .

cairnswm
01-08-2003, 06:56 AM
The final results are up - they got 81 entries (3 were time pilot). I dont know if downloads prooves a game is popular but if so can everyone download entry number 56 for me :wink:

http://www.remakes.org/website/competition/results.php

Momor
01-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Hey I've also been able to complete my entry !

It's called RunOut (#31 on the list).

That's the first time I make a game in so few time (I began this game on 2 of July).

That was fun.

cairnswm
02-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Well done - I'll try take a look at it this week sometime :)

Alimonster
04-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Congratulations to everyone who made a game!

Traveler, did you manage to complete yours?

Traveler
04-08-2003, 12:31 PM
I'm almost ashamed to say no :oops: :(

I know, my start may have looked good, but now that I look back on it, I can savely say that it was not. For example, the images I posted are pretty nice, but also totally useless. The fighter you see could't be used in the game. It's simply too wide. When I decrease it's size for ingame use, you can barely make out what it is. The best thing would be to make a new model.

Problem two. Somehow, I was under the impression that I was already capable of making a 3D game. I found out too late that I'm not. Not in two months time.

Problem three. (I can't really lie to myself, by ignoring this). Warcraft 3 has me in it's grasp. Now that I have access to BattleNet (since a month or two), I have wasted many hours playing custom W3 games like Tower Defence, Hero siege, pig defence, kodo tag and more.

All in all, I could have done a lot better. But not all work is wasted though. I may not have won any prizes, I did learn a couple new things.
Besides, now that the compo is over, it doesn't mean I can't continue the game...

WILL
04-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Traveler: You really should finish it. From what I saw, it looked really good.