PDA

View Full Version : Asphyre Casual Framework v1.0.5 released

savage
11-11-2007, 07:12 PM
I missed this last week, but LifePower posted information about his Asphyre Casual Framework over on this thread (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?t=5024).

It is an alternative framework to the other Asphyre series, which uses DirectX 7.0 for 2D rendering.

The updated framework contains support for dynamic textures and render targets. It is also the first framework to support FreePascal/Lazarus.

Read more about it over there (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?t=5024)!

czar
11-11-2007, 08:05 PM
It sounds like an excellent project, very worthwhile to have as an option. There are many instances where you have to create an application for a wide audience where DirectX 9.0 is just too much. I will have a look at this system if/when I have to do another project that needs to also run on older computers.

arthurprs
11-11-2007, 08:33 PM
^^ great

Huehnerschaender
12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I guess the best thing is the design of this framework. You will be able to choose from different "service providers" which renders your scene.

Here is a quote from the website.

The framework currently implements DirectX 7.0 service provider, which uses Direct3D for 2D rendering. Additional providers will be implemented in the future targetting DirectX 9.0 and OpenGL

Since this framework supports Lazarus and it will be able to support OpenGL in the future, it is also the first Asphyre that will be able to make Xplatform games soon.

Thats really great news!

LP
12-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Actually, I have Asphyre-compatible OpenGL code, which was initially made long time ago for Asphyre Pro (but was never released). It only needs to be slightly modified to work with Asphyre Casual.

The reason behind the delay for additional service providers is that many components must be designed in a DX7 way (a bit rubbish I must add, but works nevertheless). There will be most likely provider for DX 8.0 as well (it is a matter of 30 minutes writing it), in addition to DX9.0 and OpenGL.