PDA

View Full Version : Lazarus forum

czar
29-11-2007, 06:58 PM
This is not really anything to with PGD apart from the fact that certain members here may have accounts on http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org

I have spent two days trying to get an account on that site - I have set up two accounts with two different email address however I never receive an email with the promised password.

The annoying thing no where on the site can I find a contact email address to let the moderators know that there is something wrong with their email system.

Is there some one here who could pass on the message? Or give me an email address so I can email directly?

Most appreciated.

jdarling
29-11-2007, 08:18 PM
I don't know if its still true or not, but it used to be that ALL accounts had to be validated by an Admin. Unfortunately this means that it may take DAYS or WEEKS for you to get authorized :(.

czar
29-11-2007, 08:46 PM
hmmm, not a very efficient way to build a community - in fact it kinda puts me off.

cronodragon
30-11-2007, 12:42 AM
I have an account in their forums, and it seems to me that their mailing list has much more participation. Answers come quickier, there are constant discussions, and IMHO have higher knowledge of the insides of Lazarus and FPC. :D

Vincent
30-11-2007, 06:01 AM
and it seems to me that their mailing list has much more participation. Answers come quickier, there are constant discussions, and IMHO have higher knowledge of the insides of Lazarus and FPC. :D
Thanks, says the top poster on the Lazarus Forums. :?

cronodragon
30-11-2007, 02:20 PM
That's why I said "IMHO" :lol:

JernejL
30-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Lazarus IRC channel anyone? fastest ways to get lazarus questions answered.

czar
03-12-2007, 09:31 AM
After trying everything to get an account on the Lazarus forum, even tried sending emails direct to the admin at Lazarus - no response. Very disappointing.

Oh well I have almost decided to not bother with developing in Pascal on the Mac - I figure learning Objective C will be easier to develop what I need than trying to find workarounds using Pascal.

The main reason for wanting to post on the Lazarus was to find out if anyone has tried to make a screensaver on the Mac using Pascal.

The app I want to convert to work on a Mac has a screensaver component - I had been hoping to do that using Pascal and SDL - however, as I understand it you need to have a cocoa interface.

Anyway, any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

My MacBook arrives tomorrow - whoo hoo!!

WILL
03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
After trying everything to get an account on the Lazarus forum, even tried sending emails direct to the admin at Lazarus - no response. Very disappointing.

Not meaning to cut on the Lazrus dev guys, but this is one of many things that make the Lazarus community really inaccessible to new users.

I recall that I had a similar issue with my first account attempts and I ended up stuck having to have WILL2 as my username there, which really bugged the hell out of me since I had been the first to get "WILL" which for some popular sites is hard. :P

Really the only way to get in contact with the Laz or FPC developers (most of the time) is to pop on IRC and go into their channels on freenode.

Lazarus - #lazarus-ide
FPC - #fpc

PGD has one too at #pgd

But this isn't a great solution because you have to 1) stay online and on the server and 2) wait for someone to show up and 3) notice your question and 4) have the time to answer your question. If any one of these 4 things don't happen it's of no use to you.

Web Forums are a much easier medium. You just have to login and post your message then come back and check if some answered it. No waiting around or sifting through a long-ass chatlog like on IRC.

Not saying it's the developers fault, but they could do with a little help in their community side of things. :)

dmantione
03-12-2007, 09:33 PM
The problem is that the guy who built the Lazarus site is less active without handing it over properly. On the FPC forums this is also a danger as I am the only one actively maintaining them but at least I have given many people admin rights. Lazarus should get the same done on their site, and if things are really a dead end, a new site has to be built.

WILL
03-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I'd say that they unfortunately got there already. :?

BUT, thats not necessarily a 'bad' thing as compared to the FreePascal site, theirs really shows it's age. But of course thats taking into account more so the layout than the actual content it's self.

I, and probably many others, aren't exactly diggin' the old Laz site so much these days. It's not a very impressive showcase for the tool as it could be, and it also could be a lot nicer to navigate on top of that.

Oh and of course the fact that noone active seems to have admin privileges. :lol:

Robert Kosek
04-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Oh and of course the fact that noone active seems to have admin privileges. Perhaps we should hack it and fix that... :pirate:

(I'm joking, not volunteering.)

czar
04-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Someone must have monitored this thread - all of a sudden I received my password :) And my mac arrived - I am happy again.

Reiter
04-01-2008, 01:14 AM
My experience is, when I post a question (e.g. because of compiling error) I regularly got answers immediatly. So, if you managed to get in anything will get better ;).