PDA

View Full Version : PyroScript‚Ñ¢

Pyrogine
17-12-2007, 05:49 AM
PyroScript is a new scripting system I'm working on that maybe part of the next version of Pyrogine2D. It is based on a modified version of Lua 5. It exists as a thin layer over Lua giving you a simple, consistent and easy to use API.

* Load scripts from file or memory
* Bind to native routines
* Save/Load compiled scripts
* Easily call scripts routines
* Support for Lua structures and globals
* Full debugging support
* Support for script libraries
* Extension support via dynamic loadable modules in script
* Support for standard Script_Main/_DllMain/_Error functions
* Simple, consistent and easy to use API

This is an early alpha and there is only one very simple example. More examples and documentation will be included in future releases.

Download (http://www.pyrogine.com/temp/PyroScript_v1.0.0.10.zip)

jdarling
17-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey Pyro, nice to see someone else working with Lua. I take it you have added in some stuff to the default Lua libraries and re-compiled it to your DLL, or did you completely re-implement Lua in Pascal?

Either way, we should team our efforts together to create the best possible library for Lua usage with pascal. I've been working hard on pLua and have the next release almost ready for release (few more features to add to the demos showing advanced usage).

arthurprs
17-12-2007, 02:30 PM
i don't know why, but i don't like lua :?

Pyrogine
17-12-2007, 03:58 PM
jdarling
I've been tempted to do a complete pascal conversion, but the time needed just hasn't materialized yet. I basically made some modifications to the 5.0 distro, added a few things, fixed a few bugs I found and so on, then added a new thin layer on top of the Lua api that makes it much easier to use. I haven't gotten to a point yet where you can bind to classes. I am still using version 5 too. No time so far to make all the changes to the newer version. Your pLua implementation looks sweet. Yes, I am interested in teaming with you on this.

arthurprs
It would much prefer a pure pascal syntax myself, but of the ones that I've tried that I can use in a source code license option for my projects, Lua seems to be the fastest. It grows on you the more you use it.

arthurprs
17-12-2007, 04:53 PM
LUA seems is the faster, but it losses all its simplicity for when you program to get that speed, that why i don't like it :)

Pyrogine
17-12-2007, 05:44 PM
This is why I try to abstract away that stuff into an easier to use API. All the basic things you need to do from code is much simpler now (at least for me it is) and not at the expense of flexibility.

My needs have been the ability to do easy configuration and coding the game logic in script. I want to be able to bind to routines that will manipulate the game objects while keeping time critical code on the native side and expose to the scripting system enough to make the project highly data driven. Lua's associative arrays make doing this much easier. This combined with the simpler API and Lua's speed should make for a win/win. I hope!