PDA

View Full Version : TMDC is gone :(

jdarling
11-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Lately we've started to see that, while the demo quality has kept rising, we were getting fewer demos (even though the invitations were as popular as ever), and in the end decided that it didn't make much sense to run a contest of this magnitude for a handful of people.

We'd like to thank all our sponsors, past and present, as well as everyone who entered the contest.

It's time to move on.

We have some ideas for other 'alternative' demo contests, so maybe you'll see something.. different.. from us at some point =)

-- Jari Komppa
TMDC Organizer
tAAt ry

From http://taat.fi/tmdc/

Too bad, TMDC generated some of the COOLEST demos I've ever seen. In fact I've scratched my head many many times wondering, howd they do that?

I know a few people here on PGD have had entries in TMDC and my hat goes off to you. Hopefully we see something new and cool from the taat group soon.

vgo
12-01-2008, 02:27 PM
It's a shame that TMDC is gone. :(

I never got around making my own entry, maybe I should have...

pstudio
12-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah it's a shame. The demos were absolutely cool. It was amazing what some of the contestants could do.

noeska
12-01-2008, 08:51 PM
I did not even know something like that existed...

They only use the default asci charset and font?

LP
13-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Lately we've started to see that, while the demo quality has kept rising, we were getting fewer demos (even though the invitations were as popular as ever), and in the end decided that it didn't make much sense to run a contest of this magnitude for a handful of people.
If the quality of invitation demos would not decrease dramatically, the number of participants would most likely not decrease either. This is what happens when the entire contest is organized by only one person, who eventually loses interest in it.

Maybe it's just me, but TMDC Invitation's "motivational factor" has dropped to zero for me ever since TMDC 7 Invtro. It was little up when TMDC 8 Invtro appeared (because of Skaven's music), but TMDC X Invtro was plain demoralizing. LibCaca doesn't make "text mode look good". :(

It was a damn fine tradition and one of the most inspiring contests I've participated so far. Sweet dreams, TMDC!