PDA

View Full Version : NashaENGINE Sound + GUI Demo

chronozphere
14-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Hi PGD friends :)

Here is a second NashaENGINE demo. It shows the sound and GUI features of my engine.

Download link (http://necrodome.homeftp.net/zooi/Chronozphere/NashaENGINE%20Sound%20GUI%20demo%20v1.1.rar)

Sound Features:
-> WAV playback using OpenAL
-> Play multiple sources simultaniously (Think OpenAL is limited to 28 sources :? )
-> Volume, Pitch and Position Control (3D Sound) per sound source
-> Play and stop sounds, or stop all sounds using one call
-> Streaming OGG from HDD with volume control, and optional looping

GUI features
-> Abstract GUI framework (Custom implementation using interfaces)
-> Use mouse and keyboard/joystick to navigate and change control states
-> Supports fading in and out. The fade-effect can be coded by the user (eg transition, blending)

So this demo demonstrates these features. I think the function of each button is pretty understandable :P You can control the buttons and sliders using the mouse, using keyboard (arrow key's, enter or space) and even the joystick (use POV buttons, and button 1).

I had loads of fun playing around with OpenAL, and especially with the 3d-Sound aspect of it. Nevertheless OpenAL can have strange problems sometimes. Almost half of the problems i encountered during development were caused by my sound engine. So i'm very happy it's working now. This demo demonstrates 3d sound, so surround is recommended ;)

I'm also very happy that OGG music is working (finally).. The tune you hear is composed by me, using propellerhead reason 3. It's nothing special.. Just good enough for music demonstration. :)

Ok.. that's it.. hope you like it. The OpenAL 1.1 installer is included in the RAR, if you need it.

Have fun. :)

P.S I alway's get confused. What's the best word for Sound intensity in english? Sound Volume or Sound Velocity? :?

P.P.S Is there ANYONE who can test this on vista with 2 joysticks plugged it. I have some strange sound problems on this PC, when 2 joysticks are plugged in.. I'm realy curious if it's a driver bug, or a bug in my app. :? Can anyone test this.

igel457
14-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Hm, it doesn't run on my pc (Windows XP SP2):

MSG: GUI-Element: SAngle created.
MSG: GUI-Element: Music Volume created.
MSG: GUI-Element: Sound Volume created.
MSG: GUI-Element: Sound Pitch created.
MSG: GUI-Element: Sound Angle created.
ERR: -->E_INPUT_INVALIDKEY
-->Key with code: 00000320 is invalid! check whether all required input-devices are connected!
-->Key with code: 00000322 is invalid! check whether all required input-devices are connected!
-->Key with code: 00000323 is invalid! check whether all required input-devices are connected!
-->Key with code: 00000321 is invalid! check whether all required input-devices are connected!
-->Key with code: 00000300 is invalid! check whether all required input-devices are connected!

MSG: Terminating....

chronozphere
14-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Oops... i think i know what caused that error.

It seems that i ALWAYS have a joystick connected to my PC. The app expect's it to be there.

I will upload a fixed version... please be patient :)

FIXED: The new version is uploaded (Use link in first post).
Now it should be fine, when no joystick is attached to your system. :)

P.S: Make sure you Unrar it first.... in most cases, things even work when executed from the RAR, but i found out that OGG streaming does not.

lol... didn't even notice, this thread is added as news item... YAY! :D

chronozphere
16-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Can anyone else please try it? This thread has had over 70 views, but only one person tested it :?

Thank you! :)

Huehnerschaender
16-01-2008, 11:46 AM
"Error while initializing sound module"

Then I get only a grey screen.

Dell Latitude D820 (you can google for it if you need the specs)
WinXP SP2 latest updates

I never had problems with audio on the systems... Games like World of Warcraft run well on this machine.

Robert Kosek
16-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Haha! The laugh with the slider and angle controls is great. :D No problems here Chronozphere!

I even average ~840FPS with it now.

chronozphere
16-01-2008, 03:43 PM
@Robert Kosek: Thanx very much for testing.. i appreciate it, and i'm glad you like it :D
But, did you test the OGG music.. and what OS do you have?

@Huehnerschaender: Can you please post or PM the logfile. It would give a better explanation what went wrong. Maybe you didn't install openAL? :? (It's included in the RAR) :)

chronozphere
16-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Shit... doublepost... stupid PHP bug :x

savage
16-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Does not work for me either. I get the same error as Huehnerschaender.

chronozphere
16-01-2008, 03:52 PM
@Savage... thanx for trying.. :)

Can you send me your logfile?

Robert Kosek
16-01-2008, 04:48 PM
@Robert Kosek: Thanx very much for testing.. i appreciate it, and i'm glad you like it :D
But, did you test the OGG music.. and what OS do you have?Yeah, I tested everything and it worked as expected: just fine. I have Windows XP SP2 all patches. Onboard Realtek audio for me.

KiCHY
16-01-2008, 10:10 PM
It worked for me also. Vista with updates, X-Fi soundcard, 1700fps. One thing I didnt like, when closing its window, I can hear a ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta for a sec (looping a part of currenly played sound).

Traveler
16-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Yeah,.. your demo worked for me as well. Around 2500 fps

(Running Vista with some unknown onboard audio system )

chronozphere
17-01-2008, 03:16 PM
I can hear a ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta for a sec (looping a part of currenly played sound).

I don't like that either.. but i don't think i can solve it. :( It's just the way OpenAL works.. i guess. :?

Thanx everyone for testing. I see that there are quite alot of vista users here... does anyone of you happen to have two joysticks or gamepads?? Can you try my application with two joysticks connected? I have some weird sound behaviour with vista and 2 joysticks. When i start playing a sound, it will start looping the first 1/2 second, just like ta-ta-ta. It doesn't stop until i close the app.

I just want to know whether it happens on more PC's :?

Can anyone test that for me? Thanx :D

Traveler
17-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Hmm, not possible for me. I've only got one and it's been sitting in my pc-junk chest for quite a few years now.

Chebmaster
18-03-2008, 07:45 AM
doesn't work in Linux.
sound initialization error + a blank unresponsive window

chronozphere
18-03-2008, 09:43 AM
It would be really odd if it worked on linux because my engine is DirectX based. :lol: :roll:

Chebmaster
19-03-2008, 09:32 AM
It would be really odd if it worked on linux because my engine is DirectX based.
To your information, Linux has its own built-in DirectX, although it's buggy and incomplete. Many directX-based games (especially the old ones) run in Linux without any major problems. For example, Clive Barker's Undying. Morrowind too, but it bugs and crashes too often for my tastes.

Memphis
19-03-2008, 11:10 AM
although it's buggy and incomplete.

then there is not really any point of him 'fixing' an application to work on 'directx linux' if it is an incomplete framework... this is a problem with linux, not with his engine....

so maybe this bug report should go to the linux directx dev team... btw i've never heard of it...

also there is no chance morrorwind or any other game runs in linux without the use of 'Wine' in which case again... this is a problem with wine.

-MM

technomage
19-03-2008, 01:55 PM
The "DirectX for Linux" library is called "Cedega" and you can get it over at http://www.transgaming.com/. It works on Linux and Mac and is quite advanced.

That said, If there is a problem running this engine under Cedega then it's Cedega's problem not the engines. :)

chronozphere
19-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Does Cedega have debug runtimes like DX does? If that's true, and if i had acces to a linux machine, i would be albe to debug it. :)

Nice to know that DirectX is available on other platforms. :D Will take a closer look at it.

BTW: My engine is still using WINAPI routines. If i want to make it work using Cedega, i should first get rid of these.

Memphis
19-03-2008, 05:49 PM
The "DirectX for Linux" library is called "Cedega" and you can get it over at http://www.transgaming.com/. It works on Linux and Mac and is quite advanced.

That said, If there is a problem running this engine under Cedega then it's Cedega's problem not the engines. :)

hm looks quite interesting, first time i've heard of it... however as chronozphere stated, which in most cases, games for windows will use the winapi... but it sure looks something worth looking into. thanks for the link

technomage
19-03-2008, 07:43 PM
The project was based on Wine so it should support a good amount of the WINAPI.

Eve online was released using this, the linux and Mac versions just ship the standard windows client with Cedega packaged with it.