PDA

View Full Version : Fast paced 3d shooter possible with glScene?

Reiter
30-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi there,

read some entries and wonder if it is possible to get a serious shooter running with glScene? Some ppl reported speed issues and that's why I am unsure at all.

I think about using Lazarus/FPC/glScene.

jasonf
31-01-2008, 12:06 AM
I've recently become interested in GLScene, I'm looking at the oxNewton version, http://www.dave.serveusers.com/oxNewton.html

The demos there include a FPS example.. it's not exactly quake4, but it should give an indication of what GLScene + Newton can do.

I don't know about any speed issues, all of the demos run at a lovely pace on my machine... only slowing down on one demo when I crash my car into hundreds of spheres and boxes which I placed in the scene dynamically.

Brainer
31-01-2008, 05:30 AM
I've been playing with GLScene for 3 years and I really recommend it. :) The developers are still upgrading it, so new bugs are detected and fixed. If you want to make a game using it, do it! :D

Reiter
31-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the fast replies and hints. I will consider using this bundle then :).

EDIT: Oh... then I think, what systems you are using btw? My system is old.

jasonf
31-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Mine's a recent(ish) mid spec machine.

Intel dual core jobby, can't remember the processor speed.
2gb ram
BFG nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX
Windoze XP

It plays Crysis quite well and Quake4 like the US's new super greased Mach7 warship bourne Hyper-cannon railgun thingy. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/30/railgun_record_bid_us_navy_electric_hypersonic_can non/

Machine spec is largely irrelevant though saying as the stuff I develop tends to take a while to come to fruition, it'll be a baseline system a long time before my game's ready so I'm not really worried too much about any possible issues with GLScene's performance (not seen any myself), it's fast enough for me at the moment and I need ease of use over speed.

Brainer
31-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Pentium D 805 2,66 GHz (overclocked to 3,0 GHz)
2 GB RAM DDRII 667 MHz
Gainward Bliss GeForce 7600 GS
Windows XP Pro SP2

Crysis runs perfectly on medium details, Quake 4 runs on max details with around 90 FPS and UT3 on max details with around the same. :)

JernejL
31-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Pentium D 805 2,66 GHz (overclocked to 3,0 GHz)
2 GB RAM DDR 667 MHz
Gainward Bliss GeForce 7600 GS
Windows XP Pro SP2

Crysis runs perfectly on medium details

That's impossible and you know it :? my pc is twice those specs, and altrough it runs crysis fine with SOME settings on medium i would hardly expect it to run "perfectly" on those specs that you wrote, and that's because my previous pc was around the same specs as the one you listed (i even had the same gfx card) and i know how badly it performed.

Brainer
31-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Nah, it's possible. It runs very good on medium details for me. It's impossible to play on high details (not to mention max details). But trust me, Crysis works fine for me. I don't lie.

LP
01-02-2008, 05:34 AM
Intel dual core jobby, can't remember the processor speed.
2gb ram
BFG nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX
Windoze XP

It plays Crysis quite well and Quake4 like the US's new super greased Mach7 warship bourne Hyper-cannon railgun thingy. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/30/railgun_record_bid_us_navy_electric_hypersonic_can non/
Strangely, I've got Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (1k bus speed), 2.5 Gb RAM (800 Mhz), Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS and Crysis barely runs. :cry: It could be, however, because of the slow video card, and/or debug DX runtimes enabled.

@ OP: You will need native OpenGL drivers to get GLScene working at full capacity, but it's been a long project and a very developed one. Talking more about specs, I'm trying to acquire some new laptop where video card supposedly supports OpenGL 2.1, so... :P

P.S. Jason, any info on the game you are developing?

jasonf
01-02-2008, 02:37 PM
@Lifepower, you're not running a multi-monitor rig are you?.. and haven't set the Mixed-display/mixed-GPU acceleration setting in the nVidia Control Panel to Single display performance mode by any chance?

By default, (my card anyway) the default for multi monitors is to attempt to accelerate both screens, this kills performance by such an amount that I thought there was something wrong with my machine. Setting the setting to single display made it wonderful.

The next game?.. well, I'm trying to get it made with as little engine coding as possible. I'm investigating GLScene to see if it can let me hit the ground running. So far, I'm fairly impressed.. but drawing pretty boxes on the screen is useless in it'self, I need to have a decent conversation system, camera control, inventory system and physics.

Essentially, the game at the moment is a 3rd person point & click adventure. It'll be in chapters (similar to Siege of Avalon) so I can focus on developing parts of the story and release them one at a time.

I'll release bits and bobs as things progress ;)

After the release of Crashblock, I've got experience now in completing projects so unless something utterly devastating happens, it will get finished 8) (although I think I'll need some help with it from time to time)

Reiter
01-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks all for submitting your specs. You all got much more powerful machines than I do. This is not good at all :).

Okay. Here it comes: ~2 GHz (Athlon XP), ATI Radeon 9600 :(, 512 MB RAM :( (I don't even remember if it is DDR or SD), XP SP2...

At least I got Lazarus/GLScene running now. But I think a serious game isn't possible without octree or bsp structure of scenes. I considered using OpenBSP but then I saw the official source (http://www.osmanturan.com/) is ... "Under construction"... Fine. There is an old bundle of Lazarus/GLScene/Quark/OpenBSP (http://www.skinhat.com/3dpack/) by skinhat. Since I prefer GtkRadiant and no old precompiled packages I would like to get the latest (preferable SVN) source of the OpenBSP compiler. Any ideas where to get it (OpenBSP is not listet at sourceforge)?

Alternativly I would also consider using other Bsp/Octree compilers as long as they are free and usable together with Pascal. Bsp prefered to Octree because indoor scenes would be the majority. Any ideas?

Brainer
01-02-2008, 06:09 PM
For all I know, Octree and BSP are already implemented in GLScene. To find useful resources, I suggest you to visit GLScene's newsgroup. Also, visit their CVS frequently, because they often post updates, bug fixes, and new things. :)

Reiter
02-02-2008, 05:04 PM
At the moment it is not possible to join the newsgroup through web browser (error when creating account/no activation mail) and since my provider don't offer these groups I can't access them another way. As soon as I get access I will ask since I couldn't find any implemented Bsp/Octree components/objects/classes in the reference.

EDIT: Well... you are completly right... I this time read CAREFULLY the GLScene article about OpenBSP and it says that you get latest sources by CVS (nowadays it's SVN) ... and they and you are right... there it is... :oops: :lol:

Brainer
02-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Don't worry! :D I'm glad you found what you were looking for. :)