PDA

View Full Version : Pascal Translator for Virtual Machines

cronodragon
17-02-2008, 12:47 AM
I finally setup a SourceForge project for the PTVM:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ptvm/

Right now it's at beta 0.3, and can translate and compile (with MTASC) a simple Hello World application. I'm working on translating types, sentences, etc. I'm using SVN since I have more experience with it. Please let me know if you need anything to test or contribute.

Regards!
-Marco

JernejL
17-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I thought sourceforge doesn't support svn?

cronodragon
17-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I thought sourceforge doesn't support svn?

It's my first project at SF.net, so I couldn't say if it didn't in the past, but today you can enable SVN from the Admin menu. I use Putty at the office, but TortoiseSVN makes live quiet simple, I didn't have to confugure anything, just created a working directory and commited files to the SVN url. :D

What I'd like to find is a way to FTP the website files :P

savage
18-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Cool project. Bumped to News item.

VilleK
18-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Looks like an interesting project :D

What is your motivation for developing this? Do you have lots of pascal code that you want to run in Flash?

cronodragon
18-02-2008, 03:59 PM
thanks savage, always wanted to be on the news :D

Looks like an interesting project :D

What is your motivation for developing this? Do you have lots of pascal code that you want to run in Flash?

Not right now, but I'm working on a game engine that I'd like to port for as many platforms as possible. Flash and J2ME have penetrated platforms that are very interesting for game development. I know Sony is constantly enhancing the Flash Player for the PSP, I have also heard that Wii has a Flash Player, and ofcourse J2ME is in a lot of cellphones. Just imaging having FPC compile the same Pascal code and generating bytecode for those virtual machines, that would be wonderful :D

cairnswm
18-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Can we download a working version yet? I'd love to help out, maybe getting it to work with haXe (http://haxe.org)

I used to have a similar idea, but to make a new language that could compile to any other language :)

cronodragon
18-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Can we download a working version yet? I'd love to help out, maybe getting it to work with haXe (http://haxe.org)

I used to have a similar idea, but to make a new language that could compile to any other language :)

Yes, haXe support would be great! The latest code is working, but it's too simple that it won't translate any practical application. I have been working on base type translation (Integer, Int64, Byte, Longword, etc. -> Number, string -> String) and I was about to start working on if and loop clauses. A LOT of work needs to be done, you can check the code and make any suggestion, if you find something you would like to work on great, or you could wait until I get a more practical version.

I'm new to SF.net projects so let me know whatever you need to access the code... do you have to become a member? :?

cairnswm
19-02-2008, 06:03 AM
OK, downloaded the SVN version of the code.

I would love to help out a bit. Like I say I've had a similar idea for a long time :) I have however just started my own business and might not have much time.

How do I join the SF as another developer? My SF user name is cairnswm (same as here).

(sent you an email)