PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to Clootie???

savage
20-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Guys it's all getting a bit worrying. What has happened to Clootie? He disappeared during the judging of the last competition and has not really been seen since.

Anyone know if he's ok?

savage
20-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Btw, for anyone who lives in Russia, his real name is Alexey Barkovoy.

chronozphere
20-02-2008, 03:06 PM
OMG... i was just thinking the same thing EXACTLY before i saw this thread :lol:

He always helped me with my DX problems, so a few weeks after he stopped posting, i started wondering what happened to him. He didn't come back. I was planning to start a "What happened to clootie" topic, but actually i never did. :)

Still don't know anything. His website hasn't been updated ever since. It's indeed odd that he disappeared. I thought he was very busy with his new DX10 headers, and he asked what conventions to use etc...

Hope he's still alive.... :?

savage
20-02-2008, 03:07 PM
I actually met up with Alexey one year when he came to London. We had a beer in Leicester Square. He seemed like a cool guy.

Legolas
20-02-2008, 05:36 PM
I have found this Microsoft "Most Valuable Professional" profile (https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=CEE5643D-7E95-4CA7-BE0E-A759F307E25B) that has been updated yesterday (I hope not automatically...). :think:

savage
20-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I think it's automatic. Once you are an MVP, you stay one, unless you do something really bad.

cronodragon
20-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I was thinking the same last week. Still remember when I first came to this forums confusing his name as the name of the DX headers :lol: Hope he is well, and comes back soon, I was able to create my game engine thanks to his work.

NecroDOME
20-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I think he helped most of us. Also helped me with some stuff...

I hope hes ok...

marmin
08-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Clootie is the Pascal DirectX King We need him. :)

Robert Kosek
25-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Has anyone tried emailing Clootie? It's been nearly a year since his last update, and usually within that timeframe he would have posted a demo or two of various concepts. His site has been disturbingly silent, though it is still there.

savage
25-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Yes I tried email him around Christmas, but got no reply. Others should try.

Robert Kosek
24-06-2008, 02:05 AM
I just so happened to visit Clootie's site again, and it would seem that his last post is now May 14th. So he's still here after all. :) That's a relief.

chronozphere
24-06-2008, 12:15 PM
It sure is, but i wonder why he never visit's this site anymore. :? If he did, he would sure drop a message in this thread, i guess. :razz:

savage
24-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I sent him yet another email last night after seeing this thread... Still no reply :(. Well glad to see he's alive at least.

Did anyone here piss him off so much that he never want to come back here??

jasonf
24-06-2008, 02:32 PM
All I said was "This piece of Halibut was good enough for Jehovah"...

TBH, I have no idea why he's not around. I was getting worried myself. it's not nice when people just disappear without any apparent reason (although I did it a few years ago...) . I mean, sometimes it can't be helped, real-life is more important than forums sometimes ;)

savage
24-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Blasphemer!!! Stone him! How very very dare you say that Real Life is more "important than forums". This will not be tolerated!
Actually I'd have to ban myself in that case.

www.sibvrv.com
25-06-2008, 03:40 AM
may be try to call him? does any one know his cell/mobile phone number? btw about mails, may be he lost password :D ?

fragle
26-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Clootie seems to have also posted on iXBT as late as this month (http://forum.ixbt.com/users.cgi?id=info:Alexey%20Barkovoy), so it's most probably the lack of time that's holding him off.. or something. Then there's also a part of his phone number sitting in a whois (http://private.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=clootie.ru) database apparently. Someone would only need to guess 4 more digits. Or search in a local phone book ;)

Hmm.. i wonder how much information (and how easily) it's possible to track about people nowadays..

jasonf
27-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Whois is the perfect stalker database... I reckon it should be restricted for private sites. Any old nutter can find out who owns the site and furthermore, where they live... insanity!.

I reckon he'll come back in time. He's probably working on something cool and he'll be along shortly to show us all 8)

Either that or I shouldn't have kept calling him "Big Nose".. it's hard to tell sometimes.

Robert Kosek
27-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Jason, whois both is and isn't the "stalker's DB", as I have paid to have my domain anonymously registered. NONE, absolutely none, of my personal information appears within the WHOIS record. The few extra dollars were worth it, in my opinion.

jasonf
27-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I've never been given the option of opting out of whois whenever I've purchased a domain name.. I think it's more common in the States.

Srki_82
27-04-2009, 03:13 PM
It seams that Clootie is back to live again :)

http://www.clootie.ru/
Last update: 23-Apr-2009

Wizard
27-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Cool, good to know! :)

savage
27-04-2009, 05:50 PM
After seeing that he posted an update to the March 2009 SDK, I sent him another email ( like I do every year ) to find out how he is, and it has been 2 days now and I still have not received a reply. I'm guessing that one of of us really really pissed him off.
I don't remember saying anything that would do such a thing and since he's not responding, I suppose I'll never know.

chronozphere
28-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Maybe he doesn't check that mailbox regulairly.

I'm guessing that one of of us really really pissed him off.

That would be a shame. I hope he'll drop us a note sometime telling what happened. My guess is that it involves real-life issues.