PDA

View Full Version : Scripting!

LiquidIce
04-06-2003, 06:55 AM
Yes I've talked about this before but I wanted to get some more opinions.

Which scripting engine do you think is better for gaming?
I have looked at many and can't pick one. I would make my own but it wouldn't be as fast as some of those out there so I rather get one that is premade then buy it. Things that are important for a game scripting language is the ability to control the fuctions and procedures the user can use. For example, you probably want to disable I/O functions, and other things.

So any suggestions?

cairnswm
04-06-2003, 12:57 PM
Yes, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Use delphi webscript.

LiquidIce
04-06-2003, 03:45 PM

I really liked DWS because of all the different components that add on to the functions instead of having everything already chosen. You said you use it for AI. Do you have the src available somewhere?

cairnswm
05-06-2003, 06:55 AM
On my fairy fantasy page I have the implementation used for my Checkers AI test program. It isn't finished (Crashes after each game etc) but shows how to do it.

http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/fairy/checkers1.zip
http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/fairy/checkers2.zip

Note I've also written a rough tutorial on it in the Tutorials section.

I may be using it again for the Retro game competition to script the enemy actions in my game. Haven't quite decided how yet but thats the idea :)

ggs
07-08-2003, 04:43 PM
I recommend ifps3 (http://www.carlo-kok.com/ifps3.php).

Huge list of features, and a very powerful scripting engine. And fast.

However, the tools to import data types & stuff suck.

I need to get around to updating my importer app

XeviaN
10-08-2003, 08:06 PM
I also use innerfuse pascal script 3.
Now, the only thing to learn, is which of two is faster... :?

I don't know anything about webscript. Does it support classes?

cairnswm
10-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Support for classes and even create you own classes in the script.

I've found it very flexible.

splattergnome
11-08-2003, 08:24 AM
I guess it depends on how complicated it should be, or how general and specific to your own game engine. For my own project, I wrote my own scripting engine because it only needs a certain amount of predefined variables, functions, and procedures - which are too game specific to spend time adapting a preexisting script. But using an existing script is both easier to program, and easier for the scripter.

splatty

Gadget
26-08-2003, 06:49 PM

I really liked DWS because of all the different components that add on to the functions instead of having everything already chosen. You said you use it for AI. Do you have the src available somewhere?

WOW! Thanks for recommending that! I have implemented it and it's just what I needed. I started coding my own, but it was getting too much like a new project, taking precidence over what I was actually trying to achieve. I will add you into my credits section, along with Clootie and the other people that have helped me get my game up and running.

I would recommend taking a look at DWS if you haven't already.

cairnswm
27-08-2003, 06:34 AM
Just remember that I'm not part of the DWS development group. I just found it and use it when I need scripting.

(I even wrote a very simple scripting language for my 6 year old daughter to learn about programming)