PDA

View Full Version : Something for the future...

Xorcist
07-11-2002, 11:15 PM
Since I've noticed a couple posts on putting together a team, here is a little idea for a game that I've had kicking around for the past month, but haven't done much about (though I did post and ask questions about it several times over at GameDev).

I really would like to create a 2D/3D engine, using OpenGL, that uses 2D billboards for sprites while using complete 3D models for the levels. Such that the camera angle is always centered about the player in 2D and the level rotates when necessary to simulate walking around corners etc. A good example of a game that has done this is Strider 2 (http://www.emuhype.com/index.phtml?s=zinc&ss=gallery&gid=16&pid=0) (which by the way is emulated through ZiNc in case anyone is interested in trying it). I personally thought this innovation had far more potential than just a single game and would love to try and create a similar engine.

I've talked with a few OpenGL programmers and most had a positive outlook on the project's potential, but no time to help. Unfortunately it's a lot of work for a single person who's kinda new to 3D anyways. If anyone if interested please let me know. Also note that this project would be a large undertaking and still needs some mapping out. If nothing else, being that we're more or less all gamers, just state whether or not you'd play such a game. Thanks.

BlueCat
10-11-2002, 08:00 PM
It's a great idea, I'd play it. The type of game winning Alimonster's poll (http://terraqueous.f2o.org/dgdev/viewtopic.php?t=35) (while I'm typing this) is a "Side-scrolly jump-and-run" game. Your idea would fit nicely into that category. So when that poll finishes (I'll ask Alimonster about it), I think it's likely 'the team' will do something very similar to your idea.

There's the beginnings of a team in this (http://terraqueous.f2o.org/dgdev/viewtopic.php?t=34&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15) post, hope you'll be part of it.

lithander
13-11-2002, 04:47 PM
don't you think that on of the biggest pro's of 3D is that you can avoid all this nasty sprite drawing with using animated 3d-models for players, enemys etc?

For creating a sidescroller i'd go the opposite way: using drawn backgrounds (looks sooo nice :D ) but 3dimensional objects.

-lith

Xorcist
13-11-2002, 11:31 PM
Sprite drawing... nasty? Come now you must be joking :)

Actually a big part of keeping the sprites 2D is the fact it simplifies collision detection immensely. And not only between sprites but the environment as well. 3D on 3D collision is not exactly a walk in the park if you know what I mean. Plus I kinda prefer 2D drawn sprites over 3D textured/skinned models. I also like the fact you can do a lot of really cool 2D effects through 3D acceleration. I guess most of all though it's the innovation of melding tradtional 2D characters with a 3D environment that I'm hooked on. Finding a decent 2D artist shouldn't be all that hard once a decent engine is up and running. I'm just here to program, let the artisits do the artwork/animation. In fact I already have a few lined up, but they want to see a working engine before they jump on board (too many homebrew projects gone bad I guess).

lithander
14-11-2002, 05:12 PM
It's not that I don't like handdrawn sprites. But it's a lot of work to animate them because every state has to be predrawn. Most programmers can program but can't draw decent sprites in a acceptable speed. That's why i'd use 3d-characters that i can create myself. It's hard to find a artist that is good enough and sticks to project for months without beeing paid.

But if you know artists that are willing to join you are lucky and there is no reason for not using sprites. Like you said: It's a lot easier to program and if the artist is good it even looks better.

-lith

TheLion
14-11-2002, 06:25 PM
You can also animate in 3D and then render the animation to bitmaps...
That's what I always do with Poser! :)