PDA

View Full Version : What game to buy?

Alimonster
07-11-2002, 11:46 PM
Hi folks. I'm planning to spend some of my hard-stolen cash on a new game for the PC (not consoles; I don't own any of the next gen ones...).

Can anyone recommend a good PC game to get, and why you like it/think it would be good? I'm veering towards GTA3. It looks cool and I liked the previous ones in the series. Here are some recent games that I've played and don't need to get: Medal of Honor, Max Payne and Black and White.

To be honest, I've not followed the PC games scene for a little while now, so I'm out of touch. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

iLLUNis
08-11-2002, 12:00 AM
I would suggest Neverwinter Nights or Warcraft 3. RPG or RTS up to U. Both really good though and worth the money according to me at least. The graphics in both of them are amazing although in NWN there are some problems which i think should be solved with a few patch releases. Spend wisely.... :twisted:

Zanthos
08-11-2002, 12:22 AM
If you've got a Cable or DSL connection(or faster :evil: ), a game you might like is Battlefield 1942, multiplayer strategy game which words alone can't describe it, drive tanks, command destroyers, fly planes, snipe, drive jeeps, in huge huge 64 player maps :)

Going to be playing it at an upcoming LAN *can't wait* :)

TheLion
08-11-2002, 07:23 AM
I did like BattleField 1942 too, however I hated the fact that there wasn't really a singleplayer mode with a story or something, it's just a multiplayer game with bots, but it was good!

I also like Medieval Total War, which is Shogun but then in the Medieval times and with much more variety... The great thing of Shogun I have always found (and Medieval) was that it is a combination of RTS and TBS, something I had never seen before...

Another game that I very enjoy(ed) is Ghost Recon, but that game is a bit older allready...

I too have cable, so that makes it a lot easier to get games without having to pay for them...

Alimonster
08-11-2002, 08:56 AM
I too have cable, so that makes it a lot easier to get games without having to pay for them...
*Cough cough splutter*

You meant "get game demos without paying for them", didn't you? (Notice me wielding my moderator stick of justice threateningly...)

I only have a 56K modem at home :(, which means that any online game will suck quite a lot. Thanks for your suggestions so far, people, and please keep them coming!

TheLion
08-11-2002, 09:06 AM
That exactly what I meant AliMonster :roll:

Useless Hacker
08-11-2002, 09:37 AM
I was going to recomend MOHAA, but I see you've already played that. Did you know that there is an expansion pack for MOHAA (called Spearhead) due out this month? I am planning to get this, and IMHO MOHAA is one of the best games available at the moment.

I recently bought a re-released game called 'Deperados: Wanted Dead or Alive' (AĴ£9.99 from PCWorld). It's similar to Commandos, but has much better AI, physics, etc.

Snape
08-11-2002, 02:16 PM
GTA3 is pretty nice and it's great fun but the graphic isn't so good.

I've heared that Unreal2003 is great (also the graphics), Max Payne is also quite intresting but hasn't any multiplayer, etc. features.

iLLUNis
08-11-2002, 02:20 PM
GTA3 is pretty nice and it's great fun but the graphic isn't so good.
I ll have to agree with Snape....GTA3 is good but the graphics.... :( ....i would go for Unreal if i had to choose...

Alimonster
08-11-2002, 02:29 PM
Hmm. Interesting replies so far. I may well go for Unreal, perhaps. More likely, I'll go with the time-honoured tradition of looking at the back of the boxes and choosing a pretty game without any prior knowledge :P

Slightly off-topic now, but what the hey... One thing's for sure. I can't abide Doom3 and I don't want to get it when it's released. I'm sorry, but this trend towards "player versus one or two monsters" sucks ass several times over. If I wanted that then... well, I don't want that, so I don't know how to finish that sentence. :( Mass destruction is what it's about. Comically over-the-top violence (Serious Sam, Total Annihilation) is cool.

I remember reading in that leaked PC Gamer screenshot series that Carmack stated something along the lines of "AI will be okay". Uh, that's no good. When it comes down to it, you're going to have to turn down all of the graphic options to get it running acceptably, and if there's nothing besides the graphics then what's the point? Ugh.

I've not played Deus Ex yet, so I may grab that one (or even Anachronox...).

The one game I *am* looking forward to is Thief 3. The Thief series, IMO, takes games in the direction they should be heading - great AI, excellent use of sound, fear of the bad guys and *freedom*. Discuss.

Traveler
08-11-2002, 02:48 PM
I had a very great time playing Warcraft 3, the story, graphics, cinematics all very, very cool. Too bad I finished the game already :( I hope they'll make an add-on soon...

I recommend this game to anyone :D

TheLion
08-11-2002, 10:24 PM
I liked Thief, however I quit playing it when I reached the zombies... I don't like playing against zombies, I like realism... If it wheren't for the zombies it would have been a great game! :)

(one of the few first-person "shooters" with a sword and bow) :)

Alimonster
09-11-2002, 10:07 PM
TheLion, you're right about the zombies. Thief 2 put that right and also included some exceptionally fun missions (such as the AngelWatch mission - that was amazing!). If you can get hold of Thief 2 (it'll probably only be about a tenner, undeservedly), grab it immediately! Do it do it do it! (And play it on Expert mode, since that's best way.)

Anyway, I bought a couple of games - GTA3 (after all that!) and the Wolfenstein thing. The shop didn't have that much of a selection and GTA3 was the game that stood out (especially after I saw a 10 year old kid pick up the box and look at it - yeah right, kiddo! :lol: ). Wolfenstein was cheap so I got that on impulse.

GTA3 is cool so far. I'm a sucker for speed and, to be honest, when I first started playing it I didn't like it - it was very jerky (Athlon 1.1, Geforce2 MX 400 64Meg, 512megs RAM, Audigy). I've fixed that after a browse around the net. I installed the patch and copied the music to the hard disc so that the CD drive wasn't being used, and then...

I forced it to use Software T&L. This made it faster. Umm... whatever! If you're interested, I used a program called 3D Analyze v1.62, which lets you specify all sorts of options.

I'm loving GTA3 now that it's smooth. I've not got around to installing RTCWolfenstein yet.

TheLion
09-11-2002, 10:30 PM
If you liked the old Wolfenstein, you'll feel nostalgic while playing and you'll just love it, believe me! :)

It lets you in on a lot of new info/feel of the Wolfenstein Character (William J. Blazcowicz) and I just loved playing it ... It made me feel like I was back in the 90s playing the old wolfenstein game, only much more graphic this time! :) *I'm a sucker for oldies* :roll:

However I'll look into Thief II though! :) Never knew that it didn't have (much) zombies in it! :) And good choice on GTA III I liked the game too, didn't play much yet too, too much other things and other games! :)

Viro
14-11-2002, 11:26 AM
Medieval Total War. I loved Shogun, and from what I've seen, Medieval is very similar. Thousands of units on a battlefield...... *drool*

lithander
14-11-2002, 05:59 PM
I'd go for Warcraft3 one of the best polished games I've ever played! The story is lovely (If you like fantasy with orcs and elves and dragons) and multiplayer is fun, too!

-lith

TheLion
14-11-2002, 06:28 PM
I never really liked WarCraft, can't really explain why, I think it's that I don't like fantasy that much... At least not in my games! :)

lithander
15-11-2002, 01:33 PM
Like I said, you've to like the theme. This comic-like graphic and the fantasy-theme are not everybodys taste. But it's a very good RTS with great balancing, good user-interface and a fast, but still controllable gameplay.

If you are comfortable with the theme you get a great story in which you get to play all 4 races and the best cinematics i've ever seen. And if you get bored of Singleplayer there are various RPG and 'Arcade' Mods playable over Battlenet. A good investions in my eyes and one of the best games I've ever played.

-lith

Viro
17-11-2002, 09:53 AM
[shameless plug]
My money is still on Medieval: Total war. Come on, its a great game [/shameless plug]

TheLion
17-11-2002, 12:38 PM
It is a great game indeed!

The AI has been tremendously improved (they even attack you sometime) the landscapes are bigger and there is a great variaty of units... And by my knowledge one of the only, toghether with Lord Of The Reals, games that combines RTS and TBS...

But I'm also looking forward to the update for Medal Of Honor called Frontline (or something like that), since I also though of as a great Game! :)

Andreaz
18-11-2002, 06:27 AM
I also like Medieval Total War, which is Shogun but then in the Medieval times and with much more variety... The great thing of Shogun I have always found (and Medieval) was that it is a combination of RTS and TBS, something I had never seen before...

I like Medieval too. Well, there are atleast one game that came before in the same category: Lords of The Realm, the 3rd release is upcoming. =)