PDA

View Full Version : Monster Quest

cairnswm
13-06-2008, 02:24 PM
A while ago I had an idea of making a game that combines an RPG with Minesweeper.

Finally I sat down and made the game:
"Welcome to Monster Quest. Monster Quest is a quick and fun windows game that has is origins in the well known minesweeper game.

Monster Quest was originally an idea flighted at the rAge 2007 Game.Dev Idols contest where it recieved rave reviews. Finally the game has been able to see the light of day! Up and coming Indie Game Dev studio "The Beverly Hills Cycling Company" has create the first release of the game.

To play the game you need to understand how mine sweeper works. Each square that you can see shows certain information. A number indicates how many items are around the square. A green number indicates a majority of good things, a red number indicates a majority of dangerous things. (So a red 1 means 1 bad thing near by, a green 3 indicates at least 2 good things).

Good things are typically weapons that can be picked up (you can carry a maximum of 10 weapons). Bad things are typically Monsters and evil bosses that must be defeated to win the game.

You can only search new squares next to squares you already know. Some terrain does not allow you to cross it (such as mountains) while others allow you to cross one square at a time (such as forest).

The game engine has been created as an extensible game engine and new monsters, terrains and adventures will be coming soon. Future versions of the game will include New Weapons, Potions and even companions that must be found to defeat the ever more powerful enemies that will be added.

Each randomly generate game has a goal that needs to be found to win the game. In version 1 the only goal is the beautiful Princess Maritsa that needs to be rescued."

Download version 1 here (380kb):
http://www.gamedev.za.net/filecloset/download.php?id=499

Also available through the Pascal Games tag on GreatGamesExperiment
http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/game/MonsterQuest

This game uses straight Win32 Canvas GDI functions. Currently the graphics are stored externally but could easily be part of a ImageList object. The reason for keeping them external is to make the game more customizable later.

De-Panther
13-06-2008, 10:55 PM
nice idea

it could be very addictive

thers little bug when you doing new game - the turns from the last game are still there... and the weapons too

and - more maps could be grate.
maybe random maps?
altho tool for creating maps could be fun too

I like it

cairnswm
14-06-2008, 09:12 AM
thers little bug when you doing new game - the turns from the last game are still there... and the weapons too

Both have been fixed :) - I'll publich a new version sometime.

and - more maps could be grate.
maybe random maps?
altho tool for creating maps could be fun too

All those are planned. Most of it will be easy to implement, just adding new graphics will be a bit more difficult. Someone has also suggesteed using the same 'engine' for other styles of games. Every map in the game is already random, but the goal is always in the same place. I have worked out a way to make even the goals more random.

My next step is increasing wepaons, monsters and maps, possibly even different adventure explanations.

I currently populate a 100x100 map, but only display 30x30. I want to build a truly epic adventure where there are like various stages you have to cover. Get the red key, go through the red door, get the green key, go through the green door, find the wand, kill the wizard, get the blue key, find the knights, kill the dragon, find the diamond, rescue the princess and become king.... :)

I like it

arthurprs
14-06-2008, 02:03 PM
i know how to play minesweeper, and i already codec one,

but i don't know how to play the game :(

help

cairnswm
15-06-2008, 05:35 PM
The numbers you see are like the numbers in minesweeper. But Green numbers are good, red numbers are bad. Good things are weapons that allow you to defeat bad things like monsters. To defeat the normal enemies (orcs) you need to find swords, to defeat the boss enemy (Wizard) you first need to find a wand.

Unlike minesweeper, you can only open blocks next to those you have already revealed.

Does that help?

Oh yes, you need to rescue the princess who is capturted in the castle.

PS. The game has help screens....