PDA

View Full Version : Flash Games are Good?

yassersoft
02-09-2008, 08:09 PM
If I gonna make a Game for PC, I prefer use Flash AS. So, its good if I use it for make games for the community or this is for Delphi C++ game programmers only. I have too low level in c++ or delphi game programming. Besides, Collisions y animations are less painfull when I use Flash Action Script

ianatwork
03-09-2008, 07:41 AM
I think you'll find that this is a site dedicated to the Pascal language. Here is a forum that may be better for you http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/showforum8.htm or if your game is based on a "retro" idea then check out this site http://www.retroremakes.com/forum2/

yassersoft
03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Ah, that´s right thanks for your answer

NecroDOME
04-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Many ppl turning to the dark side...

cronodragon
05-09-2008, 04:01 AM
I work on Flash (Actionscript 2 and 3) for a living, and it's a really bad language. Something interesting is Actionscript 1 has some features suspiciously similar to Pascal, like "and", "or" and "Variable: Type" syntax. Later on it became more Java/Javascript like. Actionscript 3 is better, but still sucks. The worst part is that programmers that begin with Actionscript get really really bad programming habits. For example, they place code recursively inside movie layers, frames, objects... and inside all that is an include directive to a file that has the actual code!! Yes, I have seen all that, and it's so hard to maintain :x

Indeed, a few days ago I had a funny conversation with a partner, who had worked mostly with Java and C#. I installed Oxygene at work to have some fun, after having so much pain with actionscript. My partner was watching me defining some classes in Pascal. He said "I don't like that Pascal syntax"... "begin, end, I like brackets better, are faster"... I just told him that's more elegant, and also shown him how you can define types and variables easily in blocks, instead of writing "public var", "private var", "static public var", "static private var" for each single variable. I didn't hear any more complains after that :lol:

ianatwork
05-09-2008, 07:24 AM
May be all the Flash developers will soon be turning to Silverlight ? Anyone tried PopFly ? http://www.popfly.com/Home.aspx

cronodragon
05-09-2008, 01:41 PM
May be all the Flash developers will soon be turning to Silverlight ?

Maybe, but probably not as many as Microsoft would expect. Many "programmers" of actionscript are indeed designers who need functionality on their code, and Silverlight requires real programming (understanding object oriented concepts and using them correctly, etc). Most of those designers are not interested in programming at all. Also, most of that "programming" in actionscript is done by copy-pasting from the Internet :lol: And doing that in object-oriented languages is not as easy, as you have to prepare several things before pasting pieces of code. Actionscript has the advantage of relying on movie frames as managed code containers, so the programmer with bad habits doesn't have to care about the module structure and interfacing.