PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Forum

Gadget
16-06-2003, 10:38 AM
I have used this site for the last 5 months, and I have to say I am very impressed with the guidance, support and technical knowledge that the more advanced members provide this community with.

Thanks to you all my game is slowily taking shape! And I will give credits where due. I will put a link on my site once it goes live :)

Keep up the good work, and spread the word that Delphi is the language to use! :)

Traveler
16-06-2003, 06:58 PM
I couldn't agree more.

Though I do share Palamedes thought from a couple days ago that sometimes the forum does get a little quiet.
Also, there are a fair amount of posts (72 actually) that haven't received a reply. And I know, some are hard to answer, but surely one of the nearly 230 members must have an answer?

We are, no doubt, building a great community here, but I'm sure we can take it a few steps further, right?

Paulius
16-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Actually, very rare questions are unanswered, most unanswered posts are just statements or jokes, which usually get replied with little more than a couple of smileys.

BlueCat
16-06-2003, 10:55 PM
We're not doing bad for our first year :D

We are, no doubt, building a great community here, but I'm sure we can take it a few steps further, right?

Yes I think we can, but as with any community it is what it's members make it. I started the site to give people like us a place to go that was Delphi-only away from all that C/C++ stuff :) But now it's become quite a lot more than that. People are registering here and then saying 'Hey, it's a bit quiet' but we've come along way in 7 months and many of us have found new friends here.

I think that new members come here and see all the forums we have covering such a wide range of subjects and from their point of view it seems quiet because they have high expectations.

From my side of things, it's just a bit of free webspace I installed phpbb on and told a few people about :lol: so I'm amazed when I see really complex technical questions getting answered after just a couple of hours. A busy site isn't necessarily more useful, it usually has a lot of noise and crap posts (can anyone think of a 'game-dev' site like that :twisted: ).

What I'm saying is I agree that we could do a lot more, but we have to do it together and just saying 'it's a bit quiet' is never going to change it (not that I'm accusing anyone of that, just making a point).

So let's 'take it a few steps further' (to quote Traveler :) ) and see what else we can do with this site. Maybe we could get together a group to work on improving and promoting DGDev? If we do, can I be in it? :wink:

Ultra
17-06-2003, 12:55 AM
72 unanswered post out of a 3653 isn't bad. :wink:

It's definetly a nice little community here. It's also nice that not every post here gets flamed like in gamedev. (I don't really have anything against flaming, but every post!)

Oh, and no BlueCat, you can not be in the improving and promoting group! :twisted:

cairnswm
17-06-2003, 05:33 AM
I really like the DGDev community. I have found everyone here to be considerate and the lack of flaming goes a long way to improve the feel of the site.

Sander
17-06-2003, 06:40 PM
I'd have to agree, it's a great community and it'll go to great lengths, I think.

It has at least been more friendly and supportive than Gamedev has.

:)