PDA

View Full Version : Delphi Game Programming

Chesso
21-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Hello,

I have not done much programming in some time and would like to get back into it and have another shot at making some little games.

I used to play around with UnDelphiX (which I have the most up to date version of) and now operate in Delphi 2007 (rather in Delphi 7 as I used to).

But I am wondering what is the most recommended setup to use with D2007 (in regards to packages similar to UnDelphiX) these days mainly for 2D gaming. Although I would not mind trying 3D in the future, it's too far ahead to worry about right now.

I actually wanted to try out XNA Game Studio for Xbox 360 game programming, but having to pay these subscription fee's just to be able to test it and all the equipment necessary to get it properly hooked up to xbox live *headache* lol.

JernejL
21-12-2008, 01:33 PM
I personally suggest glscene with oxnewton, you can make pretty much anything that you could make in undelphix with this.

Chesso
22-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Do you have any links towards beginner articles with glscene, so I can get a glance of how it is to work with (also is glscene still worked on)?

And what is this oxnewton, I have not heard of it before.

Brainer
22-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure if there are any good articles around, but you can always visit their website and download GLScene from there. But please don't download it from the website, use CVS instead.

GLScene's constantly upgraded, don't you worry about it. :) It's very easy-in-use, you'll latch on it easily. There are several demos available, so you can always take a look. Also, there's an appropiate section in this forum if you have any questions regarding GLScene.

I haven't been working with it for quite a while, but I guess I still can help here and there. Feel free to hit me up on MSN or PM, either way is good. ;)

Chesso
23-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Thank you for the offer, although I do not really use msn anymore, I wish there was something lighter and mainstream around, really got sick of larger IM's.

Umm from the GLScene website, it sounds very 3D oriented/optimized (perhaps even only), does this have any bad effects with 2D?

Brainer
23-12-2008, 07:54 AM
There's always a PM. ;)

It's good with 2D graphics, too. It supports quite a couple of texture formats. But if you're looking for a 2D engine, I'd not suggest GLScene that much as it's not that optimized for 2D operations.

You can also take a look at Irrlicht or Ogre. Djoker did a great job and ported those to Pascal. :) You can find them here, he frequently updates them.