PDA

View Full Version : Forum software & donation

Traveler
09-01-2009, 10:13 AM
As mentioned in the 2009 thread. We are currently focusing on SMF as our new forumsoftware. However, we also realize many of you would like to see vBulletin instead. Therefore we're trying to get an idea, how many of you would like to chip in for the costs or prefer a different choice.

Chesso
09-01-2009, 11:06 AM
As I said in the other thread, from my personal experience from a stand point of setup, usability and extensability I prefer phpBB (this going at least a year back though, I do not know if any massive changes of either software has been made).

And there is always a custom job, it's actually not a big job even for one person, but dealing with cross browser compatibility and file uploading and stuff I'm not sure, I didn't go that far into it yet.

JSoftware
09-01-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't mind what software you choose as long as it's stable :D

I wouldn't mind chipping in a bit if you choose to run a paid piece of software however

JernejL
09-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Switch t PHPBBv3, and put up a new portal framework.

WILL
09-01-2009, 05:46 PM
I'd chip in a bit for VBulletin if it actually is better than SMF. :)

arthurprs
09-01-2009, 09:49 PM
I'd chip in a bit for VBulletin if it actually is better than SMF. :)
absolutely, but VB costs money :oops:

arthurprs
10-01-2009, 02:46 AM
i really prefer smf, but for pgd we will also need a forum-portal to, and for that phpbb is better.

fragle
10-01-2009, 11:08 AM
@arthurps: I'm curious, wouldn't TinyPortal satisfy the "portal" part of smf aswell? ;)

Somehow, i'd prefer smf due to its seemingly better security (or so i've heard). But since vB only costs $180, and if it really is worth the money, only 18 people would need to donate $10 to get the cost covered. Don't know whether that 18 is a lot of current forum population, though..

Brainer
10-01-2009, 11:10 AM
It unfortunately is, take a look at how many people voted. :?

WILL
10-01-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm able to put in 20-40 bucks CAD into it. However if you got a good price quote on a contracted job then I'd not mind that either. Some guys are willing to do the heavy integration work for you (use phpBB/SMF and nicely customize with add-ons and wiki software)

The Free Pascal team had this done for it's new site. It's an approach that you guys could try. I'd still send in my spare change for the deal. ;)

I recommend you start collecting money right away (make a PayPal donations account for PGD) and see how much cash you have to work with. If you don't use it or don't use it all for the new site then you can put it towards other PGD-related events. (competition prizes, hosting costs, future upgrades and features, etc)

Chesso
10-01-2009, 09:14 PM
It certainly does not hurt to have a donation button/page eh.

Brainer
10-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I recommend you start collecting money right away (make a PayPal donations account for PGD) and see how much cash you have to work with. If you don't use it or don't use it all for the new site then you can put it towards other PGD-related events. (competition prizes, hosting costs, future upgrades and features, etc)
Agree. :)

arthurprs
11-01-2009, 04:00 PM
@arthurps: I'm curious, wouldn't TinyPortal satisfy the "portal" part of smf aswell? ;)
i used it like a year a go, i think v0.85 or something like that and i really liked, but it's 1 option vs some options on phpbb side

Mirage
11-01-2009, 05:48 PM
What VBulletin and other commercial software will give us relatively to SMF?
BTW, didn't found an option to vote for.

arthurprs
13-01-2009, 11:16 PM
What VBulletin and other commercial software will give us relatively to SMF?
BTW, didn't found an option to vote for.
good question

Traveler
14-01-2009, 09:10 AM
To be honest, we aren't really sure about the difference between all packages. We're pretty much going to base our choice on the poll results and from what we read about the three boards.

I personally have only had member status on vBulletin boards so I can only draw experience from that. That said, from what I've seen it does appear to work smoother than other alternatives. It has some interesting features that I have not seen in other boards and, in general, opinions regarding security and administration seem to be more positive towards vbulletin.

If time permits, Savage and I are going to discuss the poll results later this week. But based on the current poll results I see the following happening:

1) We put up a paypall button so people can donate for vBulletin.
Depending on the amount of money we receive, we will
A) install vBulletin
or
B) go ahead with phpBB

arthurprs
19-01-2009, 01:18 PM
i just tested smf + tiny portal, and i must say that this combination is really good, and best, it's free :)

WILL
19-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Jarrod Davis just made a post about a new public site (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?p=45103#45103) for his tool-chain using SMF Tiny Portal and some other add-ons. I must say... it looks nice. :)

He also references via links to what his sources were from.

noeska
19-01-2009, 09:51 PM
It is slow. But that could be the server.

Pyrogine
19-01-2009, 10:24 PM
noeska
What time where you on? My server may have been doing a scheduled backup at the time.

Working with SMF + TinyPortal has been great. I love the fact that you can easily install/remove addons from the admin section. I've found an addon for just about anything I needed to do and with TP's html and php code blocks you can do most anything you need. For example, the random pic block is custom php code I found on the forums. I though I would mention about this forum since there are talks about new software. Just another option to consider.

savage
23-01-2009, 12:43 AM
I have a test SMF forum setup, but can't get SMF's admin thingy to install TinyPortal. I followed the instructions, but to no avail.

Pyrogine
23-01-2009, 03:06 AM
I used SMF 1.1.7 + TP1.0.6 Beta 2. If you're using SMF 2.0 Beta 4 then this maybe the problem. Unless they updated it recently, I don't think TP will work with SMF 2.0 just yet.

savage
23-01-2009, 07:51 AM
It is definately SMF 1.1.7, and I tried both 1.06 and 0.98 of Tiny Portal.

Pyrogine
23-01-2009, 01:35 PM
What I did was:

1. Downloaded TP106 to my local box.
2. Went to admin->packages->download packages.
3. I then went to the upload packages panel and added path to the local archive.
4. It installed, I applied and was then active. You should by default get the search/user/stats boxes on the left and recent box on the right.
5. I found best success installing the addons this way.

WILL
17-03-2009, 09:38 PM
So how about that donation box then? :yes:

::)