PDA

View Full Version : My isometric engine with blog

Crisp_N_Dry
30-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Hey guys, it's been a while but I've recently got back into serious programming after a hiatus from Delphi and PGDev. Just a message for anyone interested in isometric game dev that I'm currently writing my blog in tandem with my isometric engine so if anybody wants to see how it's coming along and even download the latest version then head over to http://isoenginedev.blogspot.com/ and check it out.

jdarling
30-01-2009, 03:09 PM
I noticed on your blog you talk about being on a hosted site. I have a few members here setup with space on my server and still have space left if you need a place to put files and a small website. Course it would be a sub-domain (something.eonclash.com) but it would get you by for a while for free :)

Crisp_N_Dry
30-01-2009, 03:42 PM
JDarling I would really appreciate somewhere to put my latest version of my project for download as you may have noticed I've got it on a file hosting site which isn't a direct link and kinda slows thing down. If you can pm me on how I can get some stuff on your space. At the moment I only need to host the latest version which currently sits a slim 168k so if you can spare that it would be awesome.

jdarling
30-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Done and done, check your PM inbox. Note it may take up to a day or two for the actual sub-domain to come online. This has to do with the internet registration and not me :)

Crisp_N_Dry
31-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Great stuff. Now directing downloads to your site. Really appreciate it. Should speed things up a bit when it comes to downloading it.

Crisp_N_Dry
01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
New screenshots and download up for anyone interested.

http://isoenginedev.EonClash.Com/CurrentIsoTest.Rar

http://www.postimage.org/PqZeotr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqZeotr)

arthurprs
01-02-2009, 06:07 PM
i'm very interested on using your engine, it's in a usable state already :D ?

Crisp_N_Dry
01-02-2009, 10:20 PM
At the moment it's just a prototype. I'm using the Windows GDI for drawing so the framerate is exceptionally low. With just 70 objects on screen I'm only getting 50-60 fps on my main development PC which is more than capable of running Crysis on high. I'll soon be rebuilding it with my 2D OpenGL framework which should speed things up immensely. As you may have read on my blog, the collision detection is not working 100% depending on which 2 objects are colliding. Keep checking the blog though as I update it regularly. Although I never expected to get anyone want to use the engine, I was only making it for my personal projects. Have you tried the download?

arthurprs
02-02-2009, 06:01 AM
yes i looked the demo, not much to test but looks good

i will keep reading your blog
it is on my browser favorites now :D

WILL
02-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Engine looks great so far. Keep up the great work! :thumbup:

Andreaz
02-02-2009, 06:56 AM
As you may have read on my blog, the collision detection is not working 100% depending on which 2 objects are colliding. Keep checking the blog though as I update it regularly.

Just a litte thought, how come you are using 3D collisiions for a 2D map? Isometric is basicly a multi layered 2D grid that you happens to view from the side. So doing the collisions in object space would be a simple AABB bounding box test?

Crisp_N_Dry
02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Just a litte thought, how come you are using 3D collisiions for a 2D map? Isometric is basicly a multi layered 2D grid that you happens to view from the side. So doing the collisions in object space would be a simple AABB bounding box test?

Yeah, I've been doing a bit of research into the best method for collision detection and AABB is probably the best way to go. Just need to implement it. Not too much of a problem at the moment since the bug only occurs on certain combinations of objects but it's definitely on my todo list.

Crisp_N_Dry
02-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Cheers Will. Appreciate the compliment.

Ñuño Martínez
02-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I like isometric games so keep up the work and we can create some new ones soon. :thumbup: