PDA

View Full Version : Lemmings

EricLang
12-03-2009, 10:09 AM
A while ago I created a clone of the original dos-lemmings
http://ericenzwaan.nl/eric/lemmings/lemmix.htm

Now I had an idea which could be converted into quite an original game:
A multiplayer online lemmings game in which the players have to work together to get to the exit.
I haven't visualised or worked out anything yet, but was wondering if:
- other people are interested in making it as a team.
- there could be some brainstormsession about how the game should look and feel.

In case you're interested let me know:
ericlangedijk (at) gmail (dot) com

Regards,
Eric Langedijk

Ñuño Martínez
13-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Oh, an open-source Lemmings clone! Nice! I think I'll give it a chance. :) Does it compile with Lazarus? I don't have Windows.

About your idea of a multiplayer game, sounds interesting but I can't figure how two players can collaborate in the game.

Anyway, I think you should find a different character for the game. Lemmings are cool but it may cause legal problems about copyright. What about to use gnomes instead? I think they're cool and has a lot of possibilities.

http://www.fumetti.org/notizie/2000/12/Gnomo.jpg

If you like the idea, may be I can collaborate with some pixel-art gnome sprites.Tell me the sprite size and I'll try a test one. 8)

EricLang
13-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I don't think it will compile with Lazarus very easy. I wrote the program for windows.
I use the graphics32 library and some specific windows api calls. But the main part should compile :)
I know about the legal problem. Lemmings are copyrighted I think.
Gnomes sounds reasonable, or maybe some other creature who is willing to sacrifice it self :)
Solving the level with more persons online is not that difficult to visualize for example example: Imagine 4 entrances with different colors of Lemmings entering the game. 4 players control different colors.

Ñuño Martínez
13-03-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't think it will compile with Lazarus very easy. I wrote the program for windows.
I use the graphics32 library and some specific windows api calls. But the main part should compile :) I see. Then I'll try with WineHQ.

Gnomes sounds reasonable, or maybe some other creature who is willing to sacrifice it self :)

While waiting for more creature suggestions, I did this small sprite. It's 16x16. Do you like it? ;D
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3092/gnomo00.png

Solving the level with more persons online is not that difficult to visualize for example example: Imagine 4 entrances with different colors of Lemmings entering the game. 4 players control different colors.

Then you can add a "Race mode". Each player has a different entry point and a different exit point too. Since they're working in the same scenery the modifications affects all players.

WILL
13-03-2009, 11:18 AM
You could also make a task for converting other colored gnomes to your color. lol Then you'd be playing against the other tribes of gnomes rather than with. ;)

paul_nicholls
13-03-2009, 11:30 AM
I use the graphics32 library and some specific windows api calls. But the main part should compile :) I see. Then I'll try with WineHQ.

While waiting for more creature suggestions, I did this small sprite. It's 16x16. Do you like it? ;D
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3092/gnomo00.png

Then you can add a "Race mode". Each player has a different entry point and a different exit point too. Since they're working in the same scenery the modifications affects all players.

I think your gnome sprite is great! very lemmings-ish :)
cheers,
Paul

Legolas
13-03-2009, 11:32 AM
I loved this game!
Maybe your game should be named "Gnommings" :D

EricLang
13-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Very nice sprite indeed!
To get my project going I need a team.
I e-mailed some lemming-experts (programmers as well) to ask if they are interested.
I had a brainstorm session yesterday with a lemmings level designer as well.
Levels could be cooperative or they can be a race and the idea to convert a lemming to your own color is cool as well :)
I think another idea is to keep online statistics for all players.
And another great idea can be to add a level designer which can be uploaded by users and played by everyone.

Memphis
13-03-2009, 12:12 PM
another small rodent which are dumb enough to kill themselves -> voles, they will often jump or do very stupid things to escape, resulting in death :P

ize
13-03-2009, 03:22 PM

The first time i played Lemmings was on an old Amiga A500 back in the day, and that was multiplayer (well 2 player split-screen anyway). In fact, it used a similar method to what you described above but from what i remember, there was only one exit and it was more a competition to see who could get the most lemmings at the end of the level. I remember hours of fun sabotaging my mate's bridges with "bomber" lemmings ;D

I like the idea of the co-operative aspect as well as using gnomes :D I always thought a multiplayer Cannon Fodder would be fun to make/play but don't posess the skills (mainly why i joined the site. which is great btw) There are sooo many classic games out there just dying for an update.

Anyways, i wont side-track the thread any longer. Good luck with the project and really looking forward to see what you come up with.

WILL
13-03-2009, 05:09 PM
What about... Gnomes fighting gnomes? :o like a 'battle gnome' as a skill and he'll kill all other colored gnomes as he comes to them. the other color can stop him by making another battle gnome and then the 2 will be stuck there fighting each other not being able to advance. :P You could work this into a more complex feature in the game... it would be an interesting take on the lemmings gameplay. but i'm just tossing out ideas. ;)

noeska
13-03-2009, 08:18 PM
another idea that has already been done: gnome darts
http://www.vierkanteogen.nl/games/index.php?game_id=51
;D :o :D

efilnukefesin
16-03-2009, 07:30 AM
poor gnomes!
have they done any harm to you or do you have personal problems with gnomes??
:D

EricLang
16-03-2009, 10:38 AM
The biggest technical problem of the game-mechanics seems to me is the synchronization of the world that is affected by all players.

Ñuño Martínez
16-03-2009, 11:42 AM
poor gnomes!
have they done any harm to you or do you have personal problems with gnomes??
:D
No, I haven't any personal problem with them. I just think the game may be cool with them.

What if there's an alternative to "bomb" them out? I don't like to see them explode. :'(