PDA

View Full Version : Hey lurker! Yeah you! Post already!

WILL
17-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Yes you guys who login but post nothing I've been seeing you. A lot of you. Why else do you think that the site has gone dead? It's not gone dead it's gone dead-beat. :P Post something.

Put your 2 cents in. Nothing interesting, say something and ask questions. This is a community so commune already. :yes:

Wouldn't you beleive it someone actually told me that the site and community was dead just today. I have to wonder why. :-X

So in all seriousness guys post. It's making the site look quiet and dull. Not crazy about the site software ok fine, bitch about it. But for crying out loud don't let the site die in silence. Make this the community that it once was. A loud an fresh content-filled community with lots of on-goings. Just like I did right here. :)

paul_nicholls
17-03-2009, 04:09 AM
I quite agree WILL :-)

More people should get over any possible dislikes of the new forum/software and post stuff :)
cheers,
Paul

ize
17-03-2009, 05:23 AM
Well all i can say is that you only have yourselves to blame ;D Let me explain ...

There's just sooo much information here and i have learnt a lot in the time i've spent wading through all the threads (i'm nowhere near done yet) - and that's the problem (imo anyway). Because of the sheer volume of tips/tricks/articles/tutorials/help/etc here, if you do have a problem and you're willing to do a little digging, it's probably been asked before so no need to post anything.

I've posted a little (i'm actually in double figures now :yay:), but to be honest, at the moment a lot of the stuff is so far over my head it's in orbit :) and that could also be the reason why people aren't posting. I'm just a hobby coder. Usually gui apps which generally do what i want them to, but i know there's more efficient ways of achieving the same result. Being fairly new to the site the different forum software doesn't bother me and it looks like you're all a friendly bunch. If it's just how to do something theoretically, then i'll happily chip in. But for actual working code, unless it's something easy or i know how to do, i'll leave it to you PGD veterans 8)

As soon as i get an idea for a project, then there's only one place i'm coming to for help ... that's here in case you were confused by my above ramblings - it's early and i haven't had my coffee yet xx(

Keep up the good work

Wizard
17-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Yip, I'm also a "lurker" ;D

I agree with Ize, there's just so much to learn on this site 8)

Will post when I need some help :nerd:

chronozphere
17-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Another lurker here. :-[

I'd like to post things but that requires me to spend more time coding, and I'm having exams in a few weeks. I check PGD almost every day, and when i come across an interesting topic, i'll post my thoughts and experiences.

It's just that i don't have enough time to really get involved in PGD. When i finished my exams i have more time though. :)

pstudio
17-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Another lurker here. :-[

I'd like to post things but that requires me to spend more time coding, and I'm having exams in a few weeks. I check PGD almost every day, and when i come across an interesting topic, i'll post my thoughts and experiences.

It's just that i don't have enough time to really get involved in PGD. When i finished my exams i have more time though. :)

+1 for me. I don't even have time to make my own original post. :(

NecroDOME
17-03-2009, 11:07 AM
...I feel I'm one of those guys...

WILL
17-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Well if you guys feel there is a nicer way to introduce new programmers to the site please let the staff know. Hopefully the new Wiki will be up soon and there can be a set of pages dedicated directly to skill levels of programmers and it can have it's articles sorted in that fashion... and in a more organized fashion.

There is always ways that we can improve the comunnity. Thats what makes the Pascal community so great... there is a more passionate user-base of the tools. So voice your opinions or ideas and let them be heard. I for one would like to see some tool maps and developer guides back up. I made up some lists showing all the compilers and game/graphics libraries of the time a few years ago... where did those go? Why didn't you guys update them yourselves? :)

arthurprs
17-03-2009, 11:58 PM
im one of those =\

Ii will try to post more and maybe create a topic :(

JernejL
21-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm one of those now.

The reason i'm not posting and browsing as much is because this website contrast scheme simply sucks, it's just not enjoyable anymore to browse it.

Legolas
22-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Delfi, just change the default theme to Babylon :)

JernejL
22-03-2009, 03:22 AM

i don't know if readibility justifies the extra "shitboxes" around the content, i'm still deciding..

NecroDOME
24-03-2009, 12:24 PM

i don't know if readibility justifies the extra "shitboxes" around the content, i'm still deciding..

Please don't quote everything... I hate that! That would also get rid of the "shitboxes". I changed theme to "SMF Default Theme". I think it's better, more overview etc. etc.

DarkBow
24-03-2009, 12:47 PM
I'd love to post and ask lots of questions, but have been away due to a time-consuming project that has kept me even from logging in...

I hope to begin being able to post a lot around July. 8)

Wizard
24-03-2009, 12:59 PM
I also changed to "SMF Default Theme". It has the recent posts and looks better for me
8) 8)

JernejL
24-03-2009, 05:41 PM
I also changed to "SMF Default Theme". It has the recent posts and looks better for me
8) 8)

you know, you can bookmark that link - it works in any skin, i had it bookmarked for ages, even phpbb had that.

arthurprs
25-03-2009, 09:05 PM
8) 8)

same here

WILL
26-03-2009, 04:35 PM
mmmmMMMmmmm.... Luuuuurrrrkkkkkk..... :P

paul_nicholls
26-03-2009, 09:47 PM
mmmmMMMmmmm.... Luuuuurrrrkkkkkk..... :P

ROFLMAO!

cheers,
Paul

JernejL
27-03-2009, 10:06 PM
http://mathpudding.com/temp/awful.jpg

AWFUL TEXT CONTRAST.

Legolas
28-03-2009, 12:04 AM

SMF Default Theme comes with two nice little switches (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/forum/Themes/default/images/upshrink.gif/http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/forum/Themes/default/images/upshrink2.gif) near "Logout" button that allow to show/hide left and right extra "shitboxes" ;)

WILL
28-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Ok what on earth are "shitboxes"? ??? I've heard this term a good few times, but just don't get what you guys mean. Draw me a picture if you have to. :P

JernejL
29-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Ok what on earth are "shitboxes"? ??? I've heard this term a good few times, but just don't get what you guys mean. Draw me a picture if you have to. :P

All these useless cluttered ugly things that ruin the website flow that cannot be get rid of properly, it's like something out of 2000-2001 design era.

http://mathpudding.com/temp/shitboxes.jpg

Traveler
29-03-2009, 04:07 PM
But you can, Delfi  ::)

Just select those arrow buttons next to home.
I have removed a couple useless boxes though, so it should be a bit better for you now.

WILL
29-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh wow that is a mess. :o

But that isn't the default theme for PGD I imagine...?

Wizard
29-03-2009, 05:45 PM
No, it looks like the Babylonion theme. I for one don't mind the extra boxes -- as long as there's a box for recent posts I'm happy ::)

JernejL
29-03-2009, 10:28 PM
But you can, Delfi ::)

Just select those arrow buttons next to home.
I have removed a couple useless boxes though, so it should be a bit better for you now.

The only difference is, you get small shitboxes, they are always there.

Memphis
29-03-2009, 10:35 PM
i prefere those recent and stats box to be visible. my sugestion would be for ftp admins to either add a setting or duplicate the theme, rename it to #2 and remove the side box's for those that have low resolutions

Legolas
30-03-2009, 06:26 AM
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7736/immaginegzw.th.png (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=immaginegzw.png) ???

WILL
01-05-2009, 04:18 PM
What is this, International Lurkers Day or something? :P

First day in a while that there have been no posts by at least noon my timezone. (-5 UTC)

Traveler
01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
What is this, International Lurkers Day or something? :P

Jup, May 1st, Labor Day. Otherwise known as Lurkers Day. :P

pjpdev
01-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah it's pretty much quiet today. It's actually been like this for a few days now.

Mmmmm.... Maybe I should instigate another uprising... ::)

WILL
20-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Been a fairly quiet week. Could have sworn that I keep seeing members logging in from the forums page. I don't have to go and bump this thread now do I? ;)

code_glitch
20-08-2010, 10:46 PM
In that case, then i may have a content generating solution:

Why not have idle members, take on a newbiw and do a kinda 1-1 teaching things that people could follow? Like online pascal classes for free or something? I'm hard at work on my game engine (yea again, 7th one from scratch now and its feeling the pinch of clutter like all the others) so i'm 'lurking'.

but whatever, i dont know that much, its 11:30PM and i'm a weird enough mood for the playlist to play music from the classical section without me committing suicide or something. Damn music.

anyway, either that or we could grab all the best of pascal and make a mega library or something big you know? This is pascal and its games, so why not get the whole community involved, do something big, get it out there and have some people notice the power of pascal. Its underrated as a language if you ask me.

Oh, and one last thing, please post if you read this, i've been having a really lonely feeling lately (like no-one reads what I write). About time the holidays ended or I decided to do something huh?

cheers,
code glitch ;)

JSoftware
20-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Oh, and one last thing, please post if you read this, i've been having a really lonely feeling lately (like no-one reads what I write). About time the holidays ended or I decided to do something huh?

Hey yo

I read every single post on those boards. About 10 times per hour :)

I think I've reached a point where my code generation glands have run out. I have about 100 genious unfinished projects laying in my projects folder by now

I'm waiting to see what Ludum Dare theme will come up this year. It's going down in about 3 hours. If I get a good idea, I'll participate, but I have a looming exam at monday I need to study for :(

If anyone needs a "veteran" coder for something give me a call. I think I could use some braindead code monkey work :)

WILL
21-08-2010, 04:00 AM
I think that people just need to start posting all their "junk" work that they keep to themselves. ie. show off some of the cool new project they've been slaving over for hours. This is the place to spill the beans as it were.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to start a new game project either. Post about it's development, show us what you can do or want to do. Have fun! You have a captive audience, just lurking and waiting to read (*ahem* and REPLY TO *hint hint*) In fact wouldn't it be cool if you guys just picked a weekend and did a 48/72 hour game creation session like NecroSOFT used to do and post all about here on PGD.

I've been cooking up some neat ideas and events to hold through my own brand 'Pascal Gamer' but half are waiting on specific things to happen first. Perhaps I should just offer up a challenge which I'll post all over the known forums instead...?

This is our community guys, you make the cool stuff happen. But you have to make that extra effort. Not hard, just takes a tiny bit of initiative. ;)

NecroDOME
21-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Talking about 48/72 hour game creation session: I think soon one is coming up again :)

Sascha Willems
22-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I must admit that I'm one of those lurkers too (or better : have become one). I visit PGD at least once a day to read through all new topics and posts, but other than that I don't actually have time for more due to real-life obligations.

And yes, I'm still working on "Phase 2" (almost) every day, but I don't have much time on my hands, so though progress is steady, it's not that I'm making huge progress. And I also update the project's satus on my homepage (as well as on the delphigl forums, where it all started), but posting about progress with a steady rate and releasing videos also takes it's time, and spare time for me is something rare nowadays. So at this rate it may be finished shortly after Duke Nukem Forever gets released ;)

Other than that I see the same thing happening over at delphigl.com, where it is pretty quiet right now, but I'm pretty sure that once summer is over more people will return to coding again and we'll see an increase in activity (hopefully).