PDA

View Full Version : PGD Library

Traveler
29-03-2009, 03:54 PM
As you may have read on the front page, we now have a new Library section. :yes:
It's based on wiki software, so I expect you'll find it to be easily accessible.
While Wiki's usually are very open to anyone willing to contribute, I have for the moment removed the registration options.

If you want to make a contribution however, (which we highly encourage of course) please send me or one of the other staff members a PM. Also, if one of your old articles was in the old library and you want to help port it over, let me know and I'll forward you the info to get to the old articles and how to port them.

In case you want to write an article, make sure that you:
1) have a complete article. There is no publish option, meaning everything you add to the library is visible to everyone. If you have something and want it proofread, just ask here and I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to proofread for you.

2) If you have separate files, such as images or zipped sourcecode, contact me and I'll have them placed in the proper directory.

If you have any more questions please, dont hesitate to ask

Happy reading!

Wizard
29-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Great stuff Traveler 8)

noeska
29-03-2009, 07:24 PM
How does one add a catagory?
How does one add an article?

Ñuño Martínez
30-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Great. I how we have a lot of good articles soon. :)

arthurprs
30-03-2009, 09:13 PM
i don't know how to use it :nerd:

Traveler
30-03-2009, 09:20 PM
What is it exactly that confuses you Arthurprs?

WILL
06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Would it be possible to get the editing box in the Library to be a few lines taller? For me it's about 6 lines high only. I think 8 to 10 might be better for more complicated formatting work. Thanks! :)

WILL
08-04-2009, 02:21 AM
I've just posted up some of the old Links page and a whole bunch of information about existing compilers and IDEs, reminiscent of my old guides that I had up a handful of moons ago. ;) Some information I took right from Wikipedia so if it's wrong I blame the world at large. lol

Anyways please go and have a look. A lot of great info there. And it's kinda nice to set the record straight for once. 8)

http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/PGDLib/CategoryCategory

WILL
29-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Hey just wanted to put in a small comment about something I noticed in the PGD Library. I know what arguments will come up and though it may be true, my point here is still valid; capitalization and punctuation matters.

I say this because I've noticed how some of the formatting in the library looks a little messy from my standpoint. Now I know that some people that visit the site may not speak English very well and some of them it may not matter. Especially in a forum where it nearly goes out the window with every post for the sake of brevity and to get our points across a little quicker, however when people are going to a resource of information like the PGD Library which is supposed to be a tome of knowledge, people will take it more or less seriously based on how it's displayed. Sloppy or messily spelled, punctuated or improperly capitalized wording can break a reader's confidence in what they are reading. It can also mean a near hemorrhage for those that are more picky about their English writing. :)

That said here are some examples of what I've seen and would be happy to have fixed;

"PgdLib" should be "PGD Library"

"Pascal Gamedevelopment Library" should be "Pascal Game Development Library"

There were a few others, but I went through and fixed what I could that was only general information. (I wasn't going to touch other articles out of respect for their written content.)

Also I've made my own little mistake and would like to correct it, but found that deleting a page is a little harder than just removing it's contents. Instead of "GameShowcases" I put "GameShowCases" as the page name, which is a bit weird. Is there a way to fix this without ripping things apart? :P

Anyhow thats my two cents on the matter, I just wanted to point this out as I think it'll have an impact on the newly upgraded PGD feature.

BTW, how many people have read some of the new content that we've been putting up?

chronozphere
29-04-2009, 11:50 PM
I completely agree. I'm also a person who cares about punctuation etc.. :yes:

Edit:
I'm missing a few engines/libraries like PhoenixLib, UnDelphiX and Asphyre. This is very weird because these are the most populair ones.
Moreover, the list of finished games isn't complete. I recall there is a thread somewhere that has a longer list (with my game aswell. ;) )

WILL
30-04-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm missing a few engines/libraries like PhoenixLib, UnDelphiX and Asphyre. This is very weird because these are the most populair ones.
Moreover, the list of finished games isn't complete. I recall there is a thread somewhere that has a longer list (with my game aswell. ;) )

Well I haven't gotten to finishing all the pages for some of those. And some of them are rather large and detailed in nature. ie. Asphyre has at least 3 major versions that are discontinued by the release of Sphinx, but relevant to the library's background. This information takes a little time to accurately gather.

As for the games list, though there are pretty much thousands I'm focusing on games that have either achieved success or have a big wow factor to them. Though many of the games out there are very good and play very well we have to set the bar somewhere. :) lol I can only type so much before I get tired. ;)

Wizard
30-04-2009, 06:49 AM
I agree 100%, grammar in the library section should be correct. :yes: The general posts aren't such a big issue but the library is a store of valuable information and should almost be regarded as "sacred". :)