PDA

View Full Version : Generating Sprites with Poser 7

WILL
14-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey guys. Not too long ago I figured out how I can easily generate some of my game content using Poser and free or purchased models and packs. I was playing with it not too long ago, but more recently I've been trying to make some 2D (side-view) sprites. I have a couple of questions for those that are familiar with the program...

1) How can I generate a sprite on a transparent background?

2) How can I set one of the cameras to render and follow the character as the animation plays each frame?

paul_nicholls
28-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Hey guys. Not too long ago I figured out how I can easily generate some of my game content using Poser and free or purchased models and packs. I was playing with it not too long ago, but more recently I've been trying to make some 2D (side-view) sprites. I have a couple of questions for those that are familiar with the program...

2) How can I set one of the cameras to render and follow the character as the animation plays each frame?

Hi WILL,
Sorry I can't help you with your questions, but I have one of my own...

I have poser 5 (free download from Daz3d or content paradise I believe ages ago) and I have no clue how I can make 2d sprites at all using it.

Any hints would be great :)

cheers,
Paul

Traveler
28-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Let me first say that I have absolutely no knowledge of Poser (as in the capabilities) so I'm completely guessing here. But:

1) Isn't there an option to render to a format that supports alpha channels (ie tga or png)? For instance in Lightwave I can set up the render output to a rgb(a) format, but I also have to ability to render just the alpha channel to a file. This is particulary useful for postwork in photoshop.

2) Would it be possible to parent objects such as lights or camera's to the object, so that when you move the object, everything else moves with it. Of course if this is possible you do need to parent the camera, as well as the lights to the object. If you forget the lights shadows on the object will change when it moves.

2b) the setup to move the camera with the object is really unnecessary. You'll want to animate the object on the spot. This can be a bit tricky at first but in the long run it will benefit you the most. (see for example this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmc0y_wMhF0))

@Paul. if you're asking for an specific example, WILL can probably help you out better, but in general the idea is to add a 3d object to a scene, set it to a certain pose, position the camera and render the object to an image, preferably with output to rgba format.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit... :)

paul_nicholls
29-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the hints traveler :)
cheers,
Paul

Huehnerschaender
02-05-2009, 09:31 PM

Render your scene and while you look at the render result (not the 3D scene setup), click save as and chose PNG as file format.
When doing sprites its a good idea to disable ground shadows (unmark Display->Ground shadows) and to hide the floor (unmark Display->Guides->Ground plane)

There are several cameras available. In the upper left corner of the scene setup window you can see which camera is active. Right click on the camera name and you get a list of all available cameras. There are predefined cameras for every direction (front, back, left, top etc) These cameras stay at the site they define and will follow your character. But I did not use it in a single case. I always do it the way like Alex suggested in the posted video. There are certain situations where you get much better results this way.
Anyway, you really should go through some manuals (esp. those that explain the GUI of poser). I make ALL my 2D characters with Poser. I really think its a great tool and it helped me out many many times....
Feel free to ask if there is something I did not explain very well or if there are other things you want to know.
Greetings,
Dirk

paul_nicholls
04-05-2009, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the tips Dirk :)
cheers,
Paul

WILL
26-08-2009, 01:27 AM
Hey I'm gonna nag for a more step-by-step method here. Somehow I'm finding 'just mess with these settings' a bit less helpful than you probably expected. ;)