PDA

View Full Version : pack files

virtual
23-04-2009, 02:01 PM
hi all
i've finished my simple game , but i'd like to pack all the media files into one File
any one here know some usefull units or VCL's ?!

NecroDOME
23-04-2009, 02:05 PM
usefull unit: zLib. Do a google and I think you can find some references.

Wizard
23-04-2009, 02:15 PM
You can also have a look at this thread:
http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/forum/index.php?topic=5724.msg46356#new

;)

paul_nicholls
24-04-2009, 02:39 AM
hi all
i've finished my simple game , but i'd like to pack all the media files into one File
any one here know some usefull units or VCL's ?!

Hi virtual :-)

You could also try my files2pas conversion program (see http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/forum/index.php?topic=4275.0 for details).

It takes multiple files and creates .pas 'resource' files from them so you can compile them into your exe and extract them as TMemoryStream instances :)

It can also compress the files if you want too...

cheers,
Paul

ize
24-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Just have a little browse through this great site 8) and i'm sure you'll find several solutions for your project.

virtual
24-04-2009, 07:21 PM
thank you very much .

and thanks paul for files2pas , thats really helpfull

paul_nicholls
24-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Glad I could help :)
cheers,
Paul

Christian Knudsen
25-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I just stumbled upon this thread and files2pas looks really cool. Might be very helpful for "hiding" the tilesets I'm using in a FreePascal SDL game I'm working on. Very nice work indeed!

paul_nicholls
26-05-2009, 04:04 AM
I just stumbled upon this thread and files2pas looks really cool. Might be very helpful for "hiding" the tilesets I'm using in a FreePascal SDL game I'm working on. Very nice work indeed!

Thanks for the kind words PP2005 :)
cheers,
Paul

Andreaz
26-05-2009, 05:52 AM

"Hiding" the resources are the wrong reason to to this. As long as you are displaying the images they can, easilly be ripped. If youre using OpenGL its even easier.

See http://www.opengl.org/sdk/tools/GLIntercept/

The reason to add resources to the exe or a package file should be to decrease loading times (by compressing the data) or to allow single file distribution for ease of use.

Christian Knudsen
26-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm pretty sure there is no "wrong reason" for using this. It's a lot harder for a user to rip the sprites making up an isometric game by copying them from the screen, as that would be a composite image made up of various layers and tiles, than by just copying the complete tilesets from a /graphics folder.

Brainer
26-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Still there's pratically no use in encrypting data as your graphics have to be decrypted before you send them to the graphic card. Not to mention that your program can be reverse engineered and your encryption algorithm can be broken.

Christian Knudsen
26-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm not saying it's completely rip-proof, I'm just saying that it's a heck of a lot easier to rip the graphics by copying the complete tilesets from a /graphics folder than by reverse engineering the game or intercepting the data as it's sent to the graphics card. It's like saying that I want to lock the door to my home, but then people saying that it's "wrong" to do as burglars can just smash the entire door. I know they can, but it'll still keep most people from just wandering into my home and steal my stuff.

Brainer
26-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Yeah, the analogy was quite accurate. :)