PDA

View Full Version : Independent Developer Company

pjpdev
23-04-2009, 05:16 PM
The internet is a vast place to sell nearly anything. And it gets utilised for selling any kind of software a lot... Personally I think its a great idea to start an Independent Developer Company, or something like that. I'm the founder of PJP Dev, which doesn't have a project released yet. My intentions with PJP Dev is to create an independent company for development of games and software. Selling my products on the net.

To do this some level of creativity is needed. IMO if you really want your product to sell you should add something unique to it. Something that makes it stand out from all the rest. That alone is a tedious job to accomplish, but nothing happens overnight.

I intend on developing games and normal software... Why?
1.) I just love programming...
2.) I enjoy game programming more, but its also about profitability.

That means I have a wider scope of prospective customers. Where profitability plays a role again. But personally money isn't always everything, I will still develop an arsenal of Open Source software, giving back to the community that helps me out a lot.

Sometimes E-Commerce is just the way to go. And that sense of doing your own thing... Could just feel good.

Seriously, give me your opinions on the whole Inpependent Develoment Company, and what it should resemble and so forth.

And oh yeah, I don't want to do everything the Microsoft way. In other words, I intend on using Pascal with Delphi/Lazarus as the primary language. If PJP Dev makes it big-time I can employ Pascal programmers, and give internships to people fresh outa school. I learned Delphi programming in high school, 3 years of it. Now they use Turbo Delphi.

This is my dream... This is my life... My future

Traveler
23-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Selling games or applications on Internet isn't easy. Like you said the competition is huge and a unique idea or better, the execution of such an idea is vital to make some money out of it.

My advice would be to first create a game. See where your strengths and weaknesses lie. Then, if you get that far, put out a demo, videos and screenshots, and see what the public thinks about it. If you get lots of positive feedback, you know you're good to go.
IMO, starting a company before any of that has happened is just lost time.

Wizard
23-04-2009, 07:37 PM
The best way to go in my IMO is to start small. Start with the basics of game and / or software design. Once you have the hang of the basics you can take on more complex projects and once you’re comfortable with the more advanced stuff you can market yourself as a freelance coder and or start your own company.

I recently sold a database application to my previous employer and I can tell you it’s one of the most satisfying feelings knowing that it’s your creation and that it’s a success.

Good luck with everything ;)

pjpdev
23-04-2009, 07:57 PM
The best way to go in my IMO is to start small. Start with the basics of game and / or software design. Once you have the hang of the basics you can take on more complex projects and once you’re comfortable with the more advanced stuff you can market yourself as a freelance coder and or start your own company.

Another good idea to gain experience is through the Open Source world. I'm a member of SourceForge.net and thats where I learn a lot of coding tricks and tips. Developing Open Source or free software may help to up your reputation.

Good luck with everything ;)

Thanks man... I'm really gonna give my best at this.

Selling games or applications on Internet isn't easy. Like you said the competition is huge and a unique idea or better, the execution of such an idea is vital to make some money out of it.

Market research is also very important. It may help you find a gap in the market, or maybe find a solution to make something better than the competitors. Starting any business is a gamble, you have to take chances or stay behind. Many will fail, some will succeed. You'll never know unless you try.