PDA

View Full Version : How to make supercomputer?

Darkhog
06-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I read in one pc magazine that is possible to make supercomputer by linking few weak pcs. I wonder how I can do it. Is there some software that spread calculation over all computers?

Ñuño Martínez
06-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I think you must search about "Distributed Computing". I think GNU/Linux can work as a "Distributed System", i.e. the CERN super-computer uses GNU/Linux.

AthenaOfDelphi
06-05-2009, 02:33 PM
You can use the truly distributed model such as UnitedDevices or seti@home, or you can down down the cluster line. You can build a cluster with open source software (Linux or BSD for example) and I think it's something like Beowulf. I'm not sure about programming them, but building one is pretty straight forward... bunch of PC's and a decent (read managed) network switch with a nice high capacity switching fabric (i.e. not a budget off the shelf of your local PC store switch).

You can of course use other platforms... I've seen a 64 node PS2 cluster and (I think) an 8 node PS3 cluster. Again though, both of those ran Linux.

Wizard
06-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Intersting topic :)

Check out this link: http://www.ehow.com/how_2190638_build-super-computer.html

In fact the web has a lot of information on this, just google : 'How to make a supercomputer'...