PDA

View Full Version : Bolt GXS

fig2k4
27-05-2009, 11:18 PM
http://boltgxs.blogspot.com

Bolt GXS is a basically a scripted 3D engine designed for creating a scripted media centre, or dashboard type application for a media centre PC. The name comes from the fact that you can bolt on any functionality you like and it uses OpenGL, DirectX 9 and Pascal script.

It's still at an early stage and the there's no documentation for the scripting yet, but I'd like to see if some Pascal coders would be interested in writing scripts for this in the future. I'd also like some feedback on anything that people would like to see in an app like this.

The 3D engine will be much more advanced as the project matures. Right now it's more geared towards a 2D GUI and playing video etc. The code is set up so that it's more than capable of displaying 3D content with shaders etc. though. The main code is pretty generic and uses renderer classes, so it's not only limited to OpenGL and DirectX 9. ie. I could easily write a DirectX 10+ renderer later. The renderers can also be switched on the fly almost instantly, depending on the content that needs reloaded onto the hardware.

paul_nicholls
28-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Sounds like an awesome idea!

cheers,
Paul

fig2k4
30-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks.

Personally, I'd be using it all the time for watching movies etc. The idea of quickly ripping/burning CDs, email and working with portable devices (iPod, PSP, Cameras etc) using only a remote is pretty cool too. Having said that, almost any control method will be available, eg. game controller, keyboard, mouse, remote and maybe some form of client/server or web interface. The functionality really is only limited by your imagination. I bet most people could think of 5 cool things that they'd like to be able to do. :)

Brainer
31-05-2009, 09:32 AM
I must say, I've been testing this project for quite a long time with fig2k4 and it's really worth watching it. On my PC it performed even better than Media Player Classic! He's doing great job, really. :) I must admit that it works fairly well even on my crappy notebook (I have around 35 FPS).