PDA

View Full Version : PGD Annual 2009

AthenaOfDelphi
20-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi Everyone,

This is the official PGD Annual 2009 announcement thread.

I am in the final stages of organising this years competition which is due to start at the beginning of July.

Unless things change dramatically, the timetable for the competition is as follows:-

4th July - The theme and theme related rules will be announced
6th July - Stage 1 will commence. The deadline for stage 1 submissions is 11:59pm 11th July
12th July - Stage 2 will commence. The deadline for stage 2 submissions is 11:59pm 26th September

Stage 1 - The only deliverable should be a design document outlining the game you are going to produce
Stage 2 - The game, the source code if you choose to provide it and the user manual

And thats it. The judges will get to work scoring your entries. At the time of writing the prize pool is valued at somewhere in the region of $2500.

So break out your Redbull (other energy drinks are available ;) ) and get ready for a summer of code ;D

All times are based on the PGDAnnual.com server times (these are GMT).

Note:- Please do not sign up on the PGDAnnual.com site yet, the site is still being tested and will be fully reset before the competition starts.

chronozphere
20-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Great! ;D

Unfortunately I'm going on a holiday a few days after the compo starts (Probably 7 or 8 July). I go camping, so I probably can't get online. Getting a design doc ready on time might be a problem. Guess I have to start writing one as soon as the theme is announced.

And what kind of information must this document contain exactly? Alot of technical details also? And to what extent can I drift away from my original plans (This happens quite alot)?

I think the best way to go is to aim low and make some detailed plans. Ofcourse it's also a matter of motivation, which will depend on the theme and my own "gamedev inspiration". I just hope I'll be able to stick with the rest of you guys until the very end. :)

NecroDOME
21-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Woohoow, nice!!

I also have the some question as Chrono, IF we write a design doc, can it be changed later and what should it contain?

NecroDOME
21-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Another question: will the game design documents get published so we can see what the other teams a re doing?

AthenaOfDelphi
21-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Good questions...

The design document is really intended to help you guys formulate a development plan. Diving in and just coding isn't a good idea as you'll inevitably end up reworking stuff. If you've got at least some idea of what you're going to do, you can set yourself targets and goals. A to-do list is a great motivator as it's a nice feeling crossing things off the list.

What should the design document contains? I would suggest at a minimum, an outline of your game, information about key gameplay elements and the control schema. You may also want to set yourself some goals and make a little project plan, drop a storyboard in there and some sketched up levels for example. As I said, the document can be an aid to you, so you should put into it the stuff you think will help you.

Will it be published? As with all competition submissions, it will probably be made available for public consumption after the close of the stage.

In terms of whether your game design can change, it has happened in the past... a competitor submitted a design document and then changed their mind part way through, so changing your mind or evolving your design isn't out of the question.

efikkan
30-06-2009, 04:29 PM
How related to the theme would the game need to be?

I guess I better stock up on coke...

AthenaOfDelphi
30-06-2009, 05:03 PM
How related to the theme would the game need to be?

I guess I better stock up on coke...

Well, the theme largely sets the rules that the game must comply with, so providing the game meets the rules, its fine :)

All I can say at this point is that they are fairly straight forward this year, so hopefully we'll see quite a few people competing and some interesting games coming out at the end of it.

noeska
30-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Maybe i should try to make some free time an actualy enter this year. The only part that wories me is part 1. (and for me, and maybe others to, i can only spend one hour on it for each day) Is not that a bit short time to realize a design document. E.g. writing a storyline for an adventure cannot be done in such a short period so better go to something arcade'ish.

AthenaOfDelphi
01-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Maybe i should try to make some free time an actualy enter this year. The only part that wories me is part 1. (and for me, and maybe others to, i can only spend one hour on it for each day) Is not that a bit short time to realize a design document. E.g. writing a storyline for an adventure cannot be done in such a short period so better go to something arcade'ish.

You will need to wait for the them announcement later this week to see how part 1 pans out. We don't want full design documents, but it does help to have at least some idea of what you're aiming for. If you're not sure of details, then just rough out the basic idea, some key elements, basic control schema etc.

But, above all... wait and see what the theme is :)

NecroDOME
01-07-2009, 10:32 AM
But, above all... wait and see what the theme is :)

Hack 'n' slash combined with some fluffy animals :P (Sorry, getting excited for the compo!!) Can't wait to see what the theme is!!

3rd of July I have my b-day party, so 4th of July would be my PGD b-day present :)

Design doc, are that some extra points upon the entry or just some random doc that is never looked at it again and just for ourself?

AthenaOfDelphi
03-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Due to one or two other commitments that have eaten my time, I've fallen behind with developing the competition site. Please don't panic as I am going to be releasing details of the theme and opening signups etc. on Sunday 5th July, and stage 1 will commence immediately, ending on 11th July as originally planned.

There will be some points for the design document.

We have (unless things change, at least four judges... two representatives from two of our sponsors and two others. I say at least, as I'm waiting to hear back from another sponsor). So, when I setup the questions to the judges forum later this weekend... please be courteous at all times as you could be talking to some of our sponsors. Please don't hassle the judges about machine specifications... that information will be available to you via the competition homepage on the competition site as soon as the judges have submitted it.

If you have any questsions/comments/concerns etc. about anything relating to the competition, please email me directly on athena at outer hyphen reaches dot com and make sure you put PGD2009 in the subject line... if you don't it may be filtered by my spam filter.

dazappa
04-07-2009, 03:02 AM
Darn I was getting excited to hear the theme tomorrow -- well at least it's only one day more to wait (currently)... not like 2 weeks. Hate when that happens. Good luck finishing the compo site.

And what do you mean by "There will be some points for the design document."?

AthenaOfDelphi
04-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Darn I was getting excited to hear the theme tomorrow -- well at least it's only one day more to wait (currently)... not like 2 weeks. Hate when that happens. Good luck finishing the compo site.

And what do you mean by "There will be some points for the design document."?

Yes, apologies to everyone that was looking forward to the theme release, but I'd rather release the details with as much of the compo site in place as possible.

In terms of points awarded for the design document, its only going to be like 5pts per judge or something like that. It's not going to be a massive amount. But, it could make the difference at the end.

I will say that people do seem to get hung up on the design document when really there is no need. Once the theme is announced I'm pretty sure everyone will have an idea that they want to make a reality... so, this documents purpose is to help you make it a reality. There could be rough ideas about in-game mechanisms, scoring, what determines the end of the game, layouts of screens, controls, how the game progresses and if you want to go for it, even a roughed out project plan or a giant To-Do list. What you include is up to you. I will suggest that design documents are in a rich document format such as MS Word format (everyone can produce a Word document... if you don't have Word, you can get OpenOffice).

People have asked about whether we'll hold them to the design documents... the precedent was set in 2006 I think when at least one competitor completely changed their game because of difficulties with their original concept. That is not a problem, you won't be docked points.

From the other side of the fence, as a judge on the 2007 competition, I found it really interesting reading what people were going to try and do, and I'm sure other competitors did also.

dazappa
04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh yeah I definitely agree a design document is useful to both yourself and the judges, but I've never done a PGD (obviously) and didn't know that it was point based or that the design doc had any point worth ;).

I won't get hung up on a design doc either.. although I can generally keep things slightly organized in my head and come out with an end result I'm happy with, it's still helpful to write one up. I'm a creative type of guy, won't be a problem. (And I have OpenOffice and MS Office so that's not a problem either.. there's also google docs)

On a random sidenote, will you be judging/competing? (I'm guessing not competing at least heh)

AthenaOfDelphi
04-07-2009, 12:22 PM
You're absolutely correct... I won't be competing and I won't be judging, although it is traditional for the organiser to be the independent voice of reason for judges and competitors if there are any problems that arise.

Ñuño Martínez
05-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Can't wait more! >:(

AthenaOfDelphi
05-07-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm just finishing up the basics of the competition site so that people can register for the competition. As soon as I'm happy we have a functional site, I'll take down the site and upload the development version of the competition system.

It isn't 100% feature complete, the rest of the features will be added as the competition progresses... for now, the important thing is signsup and information.

So, be patient... it is coming ;D

jdarling
05-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Any word on how much longer... Been waiting with baited breath, but my refresh button is getting warn out :)

AthenaOfDelphi
05-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Any word on how much longer... Been waiting with baited breath, but my refresh button is getting warn out :)

I'm working as fast as I can guys... I've been at this since about 10am yesterday morning give or take about 6 hours sleep and a couple of hours for food.

I just have one more section of the competition home page to write, then it's upload and setup time. I have two more sponsor logos to organise and I'll be all set to release details and everything.

So, just bear with me.

AthenaOfDelphi
05-07-2009, 06:13 PM
The new PGD Annual website at www.pgdannual.com (http://www.pgdannual.com) is now open for signsups and setting up your teams.

I am currently setting up the competition and will provide a further announcement when it's all ready to go.

dazappa
05-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Shiny, registration and adding a machine process went smoothly. Even though I'm not judging, if I other people can view my machine specs it'll probably come in handy later on, instead of bothering to type everything out again I can direct them to the page.

I'm going to be a one man group; I suppose I shouldn't bother setting up a team should I?

And.. hope you've got some rules for this comp laying around somewhere; it's nice to know the particulars. Just get them up by the 11th ;)

NecroDOME
05-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I also registered, created a team, entered my computer specs and all went smoothly.

Now my team members have to sign up :)

AthenaOfDelphi
05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Shiny, registration and adding a machine process went smoothly. Even though I'm not judging, if I other people can view my machine specs it'll probably come in handy later on, instead of bothering to type everything out again I can direct them to the page.

I'm going to be a one man group; I suppose I shouldn't bother setting up a team should I?

And.. hope you've got some rules for this comp laying around somewhere; it's nice to know the particulars. Just get them up by the 11th ;)

The rules are there... they are in collapsable sections... look for things with + next to them... give them a click and stuff should popup or disappear. And you will need to create a team... even if it's just you. Making it handle individual signups and teams is pain in the ass, so it just does teams.

All that remains is for me to wish everyone good luck. I suggest you read the news on the competition site and in case you're wondering where the 'submit' entry part is... erm... I have to write that... and the scoring... and the winners bit.. and...

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! Let battle commence!

Oh yeah... the judges... I'll be getting onto the judges over the next couple of days to signup and get their machine specs uploaded so you guys can check them out. I should also add that at the time of writing, the prize pool is around the $2900 mark.

jdarling
05-07-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm in and I think I have it all setup properly. A little how to would have been nice AOD :). But then again, its just nice to have the site up and running :).

AthenaOfDelphi
05-07-2009, 08:58 PM
With the opening of the competition, I have opened a thread for questions to myself and the judges. Please do not post questions about the rules etc. here, comments about the site, your progress etc. can be posted in this thread, but all rule related questions should be posted in this thread (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/forum/index.php?topic=5845.0).

Thanks

AthenaOfDelphi
06-07-2009, 08:58 PM
HEY YOU!!! YES YOU!!! I SAID YOU!!!

Have you entered the competition?

No? Well get over to PGDAnnual.com (http://www.pgdannual.com), sign up an account, create your team and get busy. Exposure to UV rays (thats outside the house for those unfamiliar with the term) is harmful, so stay indoors... get some beer (or cocoa if you are over 18)... and get coding!

:D :D :D

pjpdev
06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
With the past weekends experience, mixing alcohol and programming can have some weird outcome... And you won't remember what you did. So I'll skip the beer and drink brandy. Lol :D

Been brainstormin' like a maniac... This is gonna be a lot o fun...

Ñuño Martínez
06-07-2009, 10:38 PM
HEY YOU!!! YES YOU!!! I SAID YOU!!! I AM THE SHADOW WARRIAR!!! LET'S A FIGHT!!!!
WHAT DO YOU WA'TING FOR, EH??? I'M LOKIN' TO YOU!!!! :P

Sorry, I love that song (http://ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/misc/lowangsrap.mp3). ::)

BTW, I did create my team. Tomorrow we'll start. Good luck everybody!

[P.S]
HEY, BABY!!! HOLD MY FINGAR!!! :D

NecroDOME
07-07-2009, 07:05 AM
I joind the compo with team NecroSOFT. I guess I'm the only one joining with a real team?

offtopic:

HEY YOU!!! YES YOU!!! I SAID YOU!!! I AM THE SHADOW WARRIAR!!! LET'S A FIGHT!!!!
WHAT DO YOU WA'TING FOR, EH??? I'M LOKIN' TO YOU!!!! :P
HEY, BABY!!! HOLD MY FINGAR!!! :D

You'r blocking with your head again!
Ho, must be american made...
It smells like dead baboon in here.
You are tiny grashopper
ps.
\o/ I played shadow warrior last weekend again. http://www.jonof.id.au/jfsw, windows port!!

AthenaOfDelphi
07-07-2009, 09:21 AM

You can now share your machine specs with others... each machine has a permalink, so goto My Machines and copy the link location of the link 'Permalink' for the the machine you want to share. The link will be valid for as long as that machine exists and you don't reset the machine key (you can't at the moment, but that feature will be added.. obviously that will have the effect of invalidating all existing links).

Example:-

My desktop machine (http://www.pgdannual.com/index.php?m=displaymachine&id=15&key=YVKLCZSRESEOMPPE)

AthenaOfDelphi
02-09-2009, 02:28 PM
As I've not been able to get the competition site finished, I've been nagged to get a prize list on-line so you can all see what you're competing for. Only this last week I've received confirmation from another sponsor who has expanded the prize pool by quite substantially, and there are still a few more weeks to the end.

So, at the time of writing, the prize pool is just over $3500 of goodies that goes a little something like this (NOTE: the allocation is provisional and may change).

Complete prize list:-

Books ("AI Game Engine Programming", "Awesome Game Creation", "Beyond Game Design", "Video Game Design Revealed", "Business and Production" and "Design and Content Creation" - 1 copy of each of these titles, 1st place gets to pick 3, then 2nd place gets to pick 2 and the remaining 1 goes to 3rd place)
CodeSite (2 copies, 1 each for 1st and 2nd place)
Custom Ceramic Mug (This is what everyone wants)
Deckadance (1 copy for 3rd place)
DeleD Pro (3 copies, 1 each for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place)
EZGenerator (1 copy for 1st place)
FL Studio (1 copy each of Producer and FruityLoops editions for 1st and 2nd place respectively)
Genetica (1 copy each of Studio, Pro and Lite for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places respectively)
IGF Entry Sponsorship (1 of these for the 1st place entry)
Aztlan Dreams, Wicked Defence 2 (1 copy of each for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places)
Bouldermouse, Tomb Climber (1 copy of each, exact numbers to be decided)

When I say '1 copy each of X, Y and Z for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place' what I mean is that there is 1 copy of version x, 1 copy of version y and 1 copy of version z with version x for 1st place, version y for 2nd place etc.

So... if you've not entered or are getting a little behind.... Break out the caffeine and get your entries cooking... you have until the 26th September to get an entry in and be in with a chance of winning some of these great prizes.

paul_nicholls
02-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Nice! Great work Christina! :)

I just hope I can get something working by then :(

cheers,
Paul