PDA

View Full Version : Programming quotes

cragwolf
04-07-2009, 05:31 PM
This is quite funny and thoughtful:

http://quotes.cat-v.org/programming/

My favourites:

Programming graphics in X is like finding the square root of PI using Roman numerals.

-- Henry Spencer

Computers are about making life easier in much the same way that the Republican party is about fiscal responsibility and a culture of life.

-- mister_borogove

The most effective debugging tool is still careful thought, coupled with judiciously placed print statements.

-- Brian W. Kernighan

PHP is a minor evil perpetrated and created by incompetent amateurs, whereas Perl is a great and insidious evil perpetrated by skilled but perverted professionals.

-- frumious

noeska
04-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I like these:

One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.

-- Ken Thompson

The computing scientist's main challenge is not to get confused by the complexities of his own making.

-- E. W. Dijkstra

Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability.

-- Edsger W. Dijkstra

Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight.

-- Bill Gates

First, solve the problem. Then, write the code.

-- John Johnson

JernejL
05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
PHP is a minor evil perpetrated and created by incompetent amateurs, whereas Perl is a great and insidious evil perpetrated by skilled but perverted professionals.

-- frumious

PHP is not bad, but when amateur coders that are amazed by it's capabilities and simplicity start making software without any regard about code safety.. THAT's the main problem!

Also, perl should go and die a FAST AND PAINFUL DEATH ASAP!

edit: ah yes quotes.. let me get some from my secret vault:

"Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."
- Carl Zwanzig

Coding CSS is easy. Even for a guy like me who thinks that most JavaScript looks like swear words.
- unknown

bitmaps are organized colored squares
- unknown

"In My Egotistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented six feet downward and covered with dirt."
- Blair P. Houghton.

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
— Jamie Zawinski