PDA

View Full Version : PGD Annual 2009 - Questions about rules and judging

dazappa
05-07-2009, 08:45 PM
If you've got questions about rules and judging decisions, please post in this thread.

Original question:
Quick question: I am working alone, but I know of a place to get music (that is licensed properly, legal etc); but since I'm not working in a team (just myself), would I be allowed to use it or would I have to create my own?

I also don't fully understand BP #3. Would we just check for a keypress that simulates entering a coin?

AthenaOfDelphi
05-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Quick question: I am working alone, but I know of a place to get music (that is licensed properly, legal etc); but since I'm not working in a team (just myself), would I be allowed to use it or would I have to create my own?

I also don't fully understand BP #3. Would we just check for a keypress that simulates entering a coin?

Yes, thats absolutely correct. Press a key, add a credit and press 1 UP :)

AthenaOfDelphi
05-07-2009, 09:16 PM
If you have a general question about the rules etc. relating to the competition, please post it here. If you have a question directed to one of the judges, please be sure to clearly state the judges name (or names) in the subject of the post (e.g. Question to ....).

If you have other concerns/questions about the competition please contact me directly by mail on athena at outer hyphen reaches dot com. Be sure to include PGD2009 in the subject of your mail.

pstudio
05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm missing a more specific definition of Bonus 3 Cabinet Ready. Are we just meant to let the players choose which keys to use or is there more to it?

About rule 1.ii
Does that mean you're allowed to use gamepads or do the game has to support keyboards? I suspect that if you want to get Bonus 2 the keyboard would be crowded.

Note:- The control limits do NOT apply to arcade style buttons such as START, 1 PLAYER, 2 PLAYER etc. However, these 'extra' controls should not be operable during play, except to allow a second player to join the game for example.
Does that mean that the game isn't allowed to have a pause button?

And the last question for now, are you allowed to submit more than one game?

AthenaOfDelphi
05-07-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm missing a more specific definition of Bonus 3 Cabinet Ready. Are we just meant to let the players choose which keys to use or is there more to it?

The rules contain a more complete definition of the bonus points.

About rule 1.ii
Does that mean you're allowed to use gamepads or do the game has to support keyboards? I suspect that if you want to get Bonus 2 the keyboard would be crowded.

Note:- The control limits do NOT apply to arcade style buttons such as START, 1 PLAYER, 2 PLAYER etc. However, these 'extra' controls should not be operable during play, except to allow a second player to join the game for example.
Does that mean that the game isn't allowed to have a pause button?

You can use game pads, but you should aim to minimise the number of controls that are available to the player during gameplay. The most controls I've seen on an arcade cabinet is 6 plus a 4 way joystick. The idea is to get an arcade feel to the game. In terms of multiple players... you are absolutely right, the keyboard would get very crowded... but, that does not mean you should lose points if you only provide keyboard controls for additional players. If you can support multiple joypads it's a bonus and would make the game more enjoyable.

And the last question for now, are you allowed to submit more than one game?

No. You can only enter the competition with one team and it's one submission per team.

paul_nicholls
06-07-2009, 12:08 AM
erm, maybe this is a stupid question (tm) :D, but I can't figure out how to enter a team on the compo site?

I have had a good look around, but all I can find is the rules, judges, etc. and the teams already added...

cheers,
Paul

dazappa
06-07-2009, 12:30 AM
erm, maybe this is a stupid question (tm) :D, but I can't figure out how to enter a team on the compo site?

I have had a good look around, but all I can find is the rules, judges, etc. and the teams already added...

cheers,
Paul

If you made your own team you seem to join it automatically. Otherwise, you need the leader of the team to invite you.

paul_nicholls
06-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Sorry, I meant I wanted to create a team myself...how can I do this?

cheers,
Paul

dazappa
06-07-2009, 01:46 AM
Sorry, I meant I wanted to create a team myself...how can I do this?

cheers,
Paul

Left hand sidebar "My teams" -> Textbox @ type a name -> hit the Create team button

jdarling
06-07-2009, 01:59 AM
And, actually, your not automatically entered in the compo :(. After you create your team you then have to go to the competition home page, you will notice a drop down with your teams name in it and a button to the right that says join (or something similar don't remember). CLICK THE BUTTON!

Once you click that your in the competition :)

paul_nicholls
06-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Thanks all...

:-[ I thought I was logged in, but I wasn't...so I didn't see those left-hand menu options till I did log in...D'OH!

I had confirmed my registration and mistakenly thought it also logged me into the site too :D
cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
06-07-2009, 05:03 AM
I have some rules questions:

4. Games should have a clearly defined beginning and end.

Not sure what you mean by this? Lots of arcade games had no end, except for dying...

Or do you mean that death is a defined end? :)

6. Your game should be written specifically for the competition. You cannot submit a game that was started before the competition began. Anyone found to be breaking this rule could be subject to disqualification.

What if I had a game idea pre-competition, but I never actually wrote any code (I only had a concept screenshot)?

I assume I can use the idea as I never started the game? :)

cheers,
Paul

AthenaOfDelphi
06-07-2009, 08:24 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't answer your question about music...

The rules for the competition are quite clear, YOU MUST NOT INFRINGE COPYRIGHT. That does not prevent you from using assets that are copyright someone else, on one condition... you must have permission to use them (i.e. the owner must provide you with permission to use them).

Some assets are public domain and will probably include a public domain licence. Some are free for non-commercial purposes etc. If you are in any doubt, drop the copyright owner a mail asking for clear written permission to use the asset and include a copy of their permission in your submission as a text document.

We appreciate that it's a big ask to generate all your own assets in such a short space of time, especially if you're working alone, so we don't prevent you form using other peoples assets... you just have to have permission.

For music, my first stop is normally somewhere like reasonstation.net. You'll find loads of mp3's etc. and based on my own personal experience, if you ask the artist for permission, they'll let you use their tunes (I know, because I've sought permission to use a few tunes from there and they all said yes).

AthenaOfDelphi
06-07-2009, 08:32 AM
I have some rules questions:

4. Games should have a clearly defined beginning and end.

Not sure what you mean by this? Lots of arcade games had no end, except for dying...

Or do you mean that death is a defined end? :)

Death is an acceptable end... so to is to actually reach the end of a game... some one wins for example or you run out of chances.

6. Your game should be written specifically for the competition. You cannot submit a game that was started before the competition began. Anyone found to be breaking this rule could be subject to disqualification.

What if I had a game idea pre-competition, but I never actually wrote any code (I only had a concept screenshot)?

I assume I can use the idea as I never started the game? :)

I'm pretty certain we will all have ideas for an arcade game... I know I have... the key thing is that all the code you right must be written within the competition period with the usual exception of pre-written game engines which you can use provided that the core logic/control/gameplay code is written specifically for this competition.

AthenaOfDelphi
06-07-2009, 08:39 AM
I have now created two more threads for posting questions/comments about the site and the competition.

There is this thread which should only be for questions about the rules and judging decisions. Any questions posted here which do not relate to these issues will be deleted.

There are also two other threads... one for comments/questions relating to the competition site and it's use and another for posting progress and showing off your entries. The same will apply to posts in those threads... if it is not relevant, IT WILL BE DELETED!

Please adhere to these posting rules as it will make life easier for everyone, particularly the judges who won't want to be sifting through questions about the competition site etc.

AthenaOfDelphi
06-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Multi player only on one screen? Some arcade games use network. For example some race games you drive against each other via network on 2 arcade cabinets. Some games (first person shooters, race games, rts, etc) are better played via network instead of one cabinet. Can we score also points for multi player network or is this out of the options?

That rule was inspired by games like Gauntlet, and more recently LittleBigPlanet so it was intended to recreate that kind of old arcade feeling... get a crowd of people around the one cabinet.

But, upon reflection it is quite limiting. I will think it over and get back to you. In essence I think it should change, but I just want to think it through thoroughly.

Please can we start posting in the right threads - I've been nice and moved this one... no more... if you post in the wrong thread from now on, I'm going to just delete the posts. Thanks - AthenaOfDelphi

Legolas
06-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Question 1: Among the rules I can't see anything stating that the entries need to be coded in pascal. Is it an oversight?

Question 2: (looking in my kitchen garden, if you get the meaning ;D) is the competition open to other platforms but the pc, say e.g. nintendo ds ::)? If an entry works fine on an emulator, is it ok?

AthenaOfDelphi
06-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Question 1: Among the rules I can't see anything stating that the entries need to be coded in pascal. Is it an oversight?

I guess people aren't reading the terms and conditions that you are agreeing to when you're signing up accounts.

3. Unless otherwise stated by the competition rules, all competition entries should be developed using Pascal or it's derivatives such as Object Pascal.

Question 2: (looking in my kitchen garden, if you get the meaning ;D) is the competition open to other platforms but the pc, say e.g. nintendo ds ::)? If an entry works fine on an emulator, is it ok?

I have updated the competition rules to make it clear what hardware/operating system you must support in order to ensure you get scored. I suggest you read clause 7 of the competition rules. I should also point you towards the general site terms and conditions which clearly state your submission must include all files required to run your entry. I'm not sure how large an NDS emulator is, but if you use it, you must provide clear instructions for the judges about installation and use. It is not sufficient to say ...read this website...

jdarling
06-07-2009, 02:32 PM
I went to my local arcade last night for some inspiration... Got a few questions now. Many games at the arcade were not stand up arcade cabinets, does simulation of these count under the competition rules? Eg: Claw game, Quarter Sliders (lots of types), SkeeBall, yadda yadda.... Personally, I think they do, but I want a ruling from the judges :)

- Jeremy

AthenaOfDelphi
06-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I went to my local arcade last night for some inspiration... Got a few questions now. Many games at the arcade were not stand up arcade cabinets, does simulation of these count under the competition rules? Eg: Claw game, Quarter Sliders (lots of types), SkeeBall, yadda yadda.... Personally, I think they do, but I want a ruling from the judges :)

- Jeremy

I'm sorry Jeremy, but I have no idea what SkeeBall is. I'm guessing the Claw Game is the one where you press one button to move the crane craw across, then another to move into the cabinet and then it drops down and grabs whatever is under it? If so, then like the quarter slides (or penny pushers), its a game of chance. Games of chance are allowed under the rules.

Legolas
06-07-2009, 03:03 PM

I guess people aren't reading the terms and conditions that you are agreeing to when you're signing up accounts.

3. Unless otherwise stated by the competition rules, all competition entries should be developed using Pascal or it's derivatives such as Object Pascal.

In fact I haven't signed yet, so I can't guess this clause. I have just read the competition rules, and there isn't indicated that it is for pascal entries only. My fault, I should have to register before posting here.
Thanks for updating the clause 7 :)

AthenaOfDelphi
06-07-2009, 03:20 PM
In fact I haven't signed yet, so I can't guess this clause. I have just read the competition rules, and there isn't indicated that it is for pascal entries only. My fault, I should have to register before posting here.
Thanks for updating the clause 7 :)

This is a learning experience for me and whilst I've got some feedback from other members of staff, particularly Will as he's organised the others, it's still a case of getting the balance right and putting things in the right place.

Since the site is for PGD only (at the moment), it makes sense to make the statement about submissions at the highest level so we don't have to worry about adding the same old things for every competition. Another example is the maximum upload sizes (limits are going to be imposed).

So, thanks to everyone who's putting up with the rule changes etc. I'm hoping not to have too many rule changes. As soon as we've got the final changes ironed out, they'll be uploaded to the site and a news item with details of the changes will be posted.

jdarling
06-07-2009, 03:42 PM
This is a learning experience for me and whilst I've got some feedback from other members of staff, particularly Will as he's organised the others, it's still a case of getting the balance right and putting things in the right place.

Since the site is for PGD only (at the moment), it makes sense to make the statement about submissions at the highest level so we don't have to worry about adding the same old things for every competition. Another example is the maximum upload sizes (limits are going to be imposed).

So, thanks to everyone who's putting up with the rule changes etc. I'm hoping not to have too many rule changes. As soon as we've got the final changes ironed out, they'll be uploaded to the site and a news item with details of the changes will be posted.

AoD, I'll go through some of the docs I have lying around. Some place I have a standard template for "competition rules, regulations, and standards" that we use when we do this sort of thing. It gives all the guidelines and such for different countries as well as presents "good practice" about how to setup and display the websites. If I can find it that is :)

- Jeremy

pstudio
06-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Are there any rules for what type of language/symbols etc. are allowed in the game? For instance would it be allowed to have swastikas in the game? I believe there were some restrictions of this type in the last compo.

jdarling
06-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Are there any rules for what type of language/symbols etc. are allowed in the game? For instance would it be allowed to have swastikas in the game? I believe there were some restrictions of this type in the last compo.

It would be a bad idea to put anything in reference to WWII Nazi symbolism into the game as then no one in Germany can play/install/look at your game legally.

noeska
06-07-2009, 07:06 PM
What is the maximum opengl version i can use? Are there limits other then the judges machines.

AthenaOfDelphi
06-07-2009, 07:32 PM
What is the maximum opengl version i can use? Are there limits other then the judges machines.

The limitations are the judges machines, which is why we try to ensure that the judges hardware specs are there and as complete as possible.

chronozphere
07-07-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm going on a holiday (probably leave on thursday), and I will be away for approx. 12 days. So, I can't upload the design document in time, because I probably will not have an internet connection.

So what should I do? I could submit a very basic design doc tomorrow, but the design-doc uploading system might not be there yet. I could also continue designing during my holiday and submit it afterwards. Is that possible or do I drop out of the compo, if I don't submit it on time? :?

AthenaOfDelphi
07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
You won't drop out of the competition if you don't submit a design document, you'll just misout on the points.

But... since, from the sounds of it, you will have a document then as it's my fault you won't be able to upload it on time, then if no-one objects I would suggest you send the file to me, clearly marked with your team name and STAGE1Submission. Include PGD2009 in the email subject header.

I'll upload them (I may have to change your account passwords) as soon as the submission system is done. The same goes for anyone else who may miss this deadline because of vacation etc. and the system not being available now. Send your submissions to me and I will upload them.

The problem won't recurr because it is my plan to get the submission system online ASAP.

noeska
07-07-2009, 04:07 PM
can you explain rule ta4 a bit futher?

Every new game should start in the same place and the overall flow of the game should follow the same path for each successive game.

noeska
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Do the judges machines feature OpenAL?

AthenaOfDelphi
07-07-2009, 05:41 PM
can you explain rule ta4 a bit futher?

Every new game should start in the same place and the overall flow of the game should follow the same path for each successive game.

If you consider most computer games, they will have a start, and that start and a certain progression to them... the start and the way the game progresses will normally be pretty much the same for everyone who plays it.

A good example is Space Invaders. They start slow and high... the next level they probably start further down the screen... the next, further down again and so on.

To use a bigger example, HalfLife 2. My gaming experience is largely the same as everyone else who has played it... but how far we get into the game without dying for example will vary based on our skill... but essentially, the game is the same for everyone who plays it.

chronozphere
07-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Probably. As long as you provide an installer, there shouldn't be a problem, i guess.

My Audio Module is also based on OpenAL. :)

AthenaOfDelphi
07-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Probably. As long as you provide an installer, there shouldn't be a problem, i guess.

My Audio Module is also based on OpenAL. :)

chronozphere is correct. If your game needs OpenAL to run, you should provide it. This is a general rule from the sites terms and conditions.

AthenaOfDelphi
07-07-2009, 06:23 PM
This evening, there have been some adjustments to the rules. Nothing has changed as such, things have been cleared up and hopefully made easier to understand.

For full details visit this thread (http://www.pgdannual.com/index.php?m=news&id=4&action=read).

dazappa
07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
This evening, there have been some adjustments to the rules. Nothing has changed as such, things have been cleared up and hopefully made easier to understand.

For full details visit this thread (http://www.pgdannual.com/index.php?m=news&id=4&action=read).

On the "stages" drop down you might want to adjust the bonus points for multiplayer.

AthenaOfDelphi
08-07-2009, 07:26 AM

On the "stages" drop down you might want to adjust the bonus points for multiplayer.

OOOPS! Thanks for that hon, I've updated the competition to reflect the new bonus points.

paul_nicholls
29-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Not sure if this is the correct place, but I had an important note for the judges regarding my entry "Day Of Destruction!"...

When running the .exe on Vista, you need to run it as administrator, otherwise it locks up when it attempts to access the on-line high-scores...at least it did on the only Vista machine I got access to.

I only found this out today...it works just fine if you do this on Vista, and it works ok running it as per normal using XP.

cheers,
Paul

AthenaOfDelphi
29-11-2009, 11:59 AM
The best thing to do with things like this is to include details in a read me file in the install archive.

paul_nicholls
29-11-2009, 07:58 PM
The best thing to do with things like this is to include details in a read me file in the install archive.

Do I have time this morning to update my readme in my install archive and resend it?

cheers,
Paul

AthenaOfDelphi
29-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Unless I've made a massive booboo, the competition system uses midnight and GMT for all deadlines, so it should still be open for submissions for about another 3 hours and 40 minutes or so (I'm looking at my local clock... the clock in the top right corner of the pages on the competition site will give you the time on the server).

paul_nicholls
29-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Unless I've made a massive booboo, the competition system uses midnight and GMT for all deadlines, so it should still be open for submissions for about another 3 hours and 40 minutes or so (I'm looking at my local clock... the clock in the top right corner of the pages on the competition site will give you the time on the server).

Hey! Your right! It says:

29 November 2009 20:52:25

so I'm ok still...thanks :)

I will update the readme and re-upload it ;)

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
29-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks Christina, it has now be updated and re-uploaded :)

cheers,
Paul