PDA

View Full Version : Design Document Template

jdarling
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Just as with last year, I'm being nice and posting a design document template for anyone that doesn't know what it should look like. Depending on your game type/style you will need to modify it to fit your needs. But all of the basics are covered within it for your reference.

Down here: http://www.eonclash.com/PGD/pgd09dd.doc (http://www.eonclash.com/PGD/pgd09dd.doc)

Ñuño Martínez
07-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Thank you, man. It will be helpful. :)

pstudio
07-07-2009, 07:08 PM
thanks. I'm sure many will find it helpful.

jdarling
07-07-2009, 07:26 PM
No problem. As with last years, its a fairly generic template. In fact, mainly I just updated last years to include this years details. Thus giving you a good resource and starting point more than anything. I left in my sample information from last years comp too, as this may help some out.

chronozphere
07-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Is making use-cases really neccesary? Or is a good description of gameplay and gamestates also sufficient?

I organized my document as follows (It's a race game):

Game Objective
Vehicle and Racing
Racetrack
Opponents
Weapons
Powerups
Some technical info

All gameplay elements will be explained like this.

I still have to add some information about the menu's and game states. :)

Is this enough or do I need to put more detail in it?

dazappa
07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Sheesh mine is so bland and plain compared to that. I'm not going to bother copying the entire competition page; because I don't plan to distribute my design doc and the judges will know the rules and each others hardware etc or can easily find out.

AthenaOfDelphi
07-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Is making use-cases really neccesary? Or is a good description of gameplay and gamestates also sufficient?

I organized my document as follows (It's a race game):

Game Objective
Vehicle and Racing
Racetrack
Opponents
Weapons
Powerups
Some technical info

All gameplay elements will be explained like this.

I still have to add some information about the menu's and game states. :)

Is this enough or do I need to put more detail in it?

Sounds like a very comprehensive document. Should be more than enough from what you've said.