PDA

View Full Version : Pascal Gamer Magazine Issue 2 - Call for Content

WILL
29-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey everybody, after almost a month to rest my desktop publishing software I figured it was time to get those magazine content wheels rolling again. If you would like to get your article into the next issue of Pascal Gamer Magazine, send me an email. (jkamcmillen@hotmail.com (jkamcmillen@hotmail.com?subject=PascalGamerMagazi ne)) I need all articles typed up into MS Word (.doc) or OpenOffice (.odt) formats at least 2 or more pages plus whatever illustrations you want to provide.

Publication date is slated for sometime in October so whatever I get at that point is what will be going into the next issue. Due to the time-sensitive nature of the PGD Annual results content this next one cannot afford the kind of delay that affected the first issue. So please contribute soon as I would like the 2nd issue to be a bigger one. :)

Thanks and I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

paul_nicholls
29-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Great job on the first one WILL :)

cheers,
Paul

WILL
30-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks. So whats in store for your next article Paul. ;)

paul_nicholls
30-07-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm afraid I don't have ideas OR time for doing articles for this issue...maybe for another one down the track :)

I'm working on two big projects right now - my PGDAnnual 2009 entry, and an ms3d exporter for DeleD...

cheers,
Paul

Ñuño Martínez
31-07-2009, 09:24 AM
I'll be too busy next months. Anyway, I have an article about ray-scan voxel-based landscape renderer half written. The idea was to rewrite the article I wrote for Pixelate magazine (http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Pixelate:Issue_14/Voxel_Landscape_Renderization) with a better algorithm explanation and using Pascal instead of C. If you want it and can wait some time I can complete it.

WILL
31-08-2009, 04:47 PM
?ëu?±o that sounds great. Drop me an email with a rough draft when you have time. :)

Hey Paul, perhaps you can explain how your plug-in works? I can add it as a news item or something. We'll see what we can do. ;)

Everyone else, I'm still looking for games to review and other articles that can be put into Issue 2. Drop me and email or discuss your ideas here if you would like to contribute something. :) (my email jkamcmillen@hotmail.com)

paul_nicholls
31-08-2009, 11:51 PM
?ëu?±o that sounds great. Drop me an email with a rough draft when you have time. :)

Hey Paul, perhaps you can explain how your plug-in works? I can add it as a news item or something. We'll see what we can do. ;)

Everyone else, I'm still looking for games to review and other articles that can be put into Issue 2. Drop me and email or discuss your ideas here if you would like to contribute something. :) (my email jkamcmillen@hotmail.com)

Hi WILL,
Links to my ms3d plugins are here:

ms3d Importer:
http://www.delgine.com/plugins/viewPlugin.php?catid=39&catdesc=Importers&contentid=31

The ms3d importer should work with versions 1.4.0 and 1.8.2 ms3d binary files.

This doesn't yet support joints so these won't be added to your DeleD model when importing ms3d files.

It will also bring in the textures and install them into DeleD (this is only if the ms3d texture file names are valid...quite often they won't be due to absolute paths set by model authors).

If the textures don't import correctly, then you need to manually add them into DeleD and set the model's textures yourself, but the final model should work fine as the UV coordinates are ok.

ms3d Exporter:
http://www.delgine.com/plugins/viewPlugin.php?catid=40&catdesc=Exporters&contentid=32

Exporter Notes
--------------
The ms3d exporter will export the vertices, polygons (as triangles, so only works correctly with convex polygons), and.

NOTE: With regards to textures on the DeleD model - only the first texture layer will be exported and used for each polygon material as ms3d only supports 1 material per triangle.

The exporter texture folder path MUST not exceed 128 characters INCLUDING any texture file names, otherwise the end of the path and/or texture name will be chopped off and the resulting model won't be able to find the texture file.

The exporter uses a path relative to the exported filename path so the texture path is shorter and is also portable.

The exporter will also attempt to export skeletons and animations (if present).

When exporting from DeleD to ms3d format, a log file will be created in the same folder as the ms3d file.

If the ms3d file is named "my ms3d.ms3d" then the log file will be called "my ms3d_logfile.txt"

The log file contains any texture file names that were longer than 128 characters, and also contains animation information (if any).

See example below:
---------------------
Total number of key-frames: 7
Animation#0001 ("bend up-down"): key-frame indices (0000 - 0002)
Animation#0002 ("move around"): key-frame indices (0003 - 0006)

ms3d Editor:
http://www.delgine.com/plugins/viewPlugin.php?catid=41&catdesc=Extensions&contentid=33

This plugin allows you to open up a ms3d file and you can browse different parts and even edit some parts too. You can then save it again which is quite handy :)

I hope this helps :)
cheers,
Paul