PDA

View Full Version : Linux Dev's

pjpdev
09-09-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm just kinda interested in how many Linux developers are floating around here. IMO Linux needs more games... period. :nerd:

paul_nicholls
09-09-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm just kinda interested in how many Linux developers are floating around here. IMO Linux needs more games... period. :nerd:

Well, I have tried a very tiny bit of Lazarus programming under Ubuntu in a VMWare virtual machine (WinXP host) if this counts :D

cheers,
Paul

WILL
10-09-2009, 06:47 AM
All my games can easily be compiled on a Linux system instantly. ;) Though I have no platform to do that on quite yet. But once I do finally release something, a Linux and Mac version will follow shortly there after.

NecroDOME
10-09-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm windows-only. DirectX does not run on Linux. However I did setup my engine in a way that I can simply use OpenGL, but currently I don't have the time to do so.

Except from that I also use some windows-API calls.

Ñuño Martínez
10-09-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm using only Linux for some months, even at job. I'm using for years, most for programming task, and most programs I've programmed compiled and run in both platforms.

NecroDOME
10-09-2009, 11:00 AM
I currently use Linux in combination with windows at work, but somehow I cannot get used to it.

WILL
10-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I currently use Linux in combination with windows at work, but somehow I cannot get used to it.

What version? :) XP, Vista or 7? :P

noeska
10-09-2009, 04:18 PM
My main development will stay windows for some time. But i have a two virtualbox pc for linux development one towards regular (x86) linux and one for embedded development for arm systems. I had linux development on hold for some time, but you may expect something on freepascal with opengles on embedded hardware from me in a few months time ...

NecroDOME
10-09-2009, 04:20 PM
What version? :) XP, Vista or 7? :P

Windows XP with a Linux Ubuntu (newest) in a virtual machine...

pjpdev
10-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Ooohh... got a few here. On my system I have Ubuntu 9.04 and Widows 7 RC. Spend most of the time on Linux, using win lately for my PGD entry

de_jean_7777
10-09-2009, 07:41 PM
I have a Fedora 10 installation and use it actively. While I do most of my development on Windows XP I try to make all my programs portable accross as many platforms as possible. I can compile all of my projects under Linux, though due to certain undeveloped parts of code I don't have full functionality for certain things (like mouse). I am intending to improve the Linux portion of my code to include the missing functionality, hopefully in near future. I do intend to develop for MAC also, and it should not be a major problem to port.

All my game projects are based on OpenGL and OpenAL. My own engine as well as my networking code, and all other components I use are portable.

Stoney
11-09-2009, 01:31 AM
I have Ubuntu 9.04 (32 - bit) installed on my laptop and Ubuntu 9.04 (64 - bit) on my stationary PC. I always try to make a linux port of my games available.

My primary development environment is Mac OS though where I have a nice cross-compiler-setup to Win32. I use Windows, Linux and Mac OS on a daily basis.

Rodrigo Robles
27-09-2009, 03:07 AM
I only use Linux. My project (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/forum/index.php?topic=4559.0) is multiplatform, but I can generate a windows .exe through fpc cross-compiler and test it under wine.

cragwolf
28-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Linux coding is my primary hobby, but I'd never do programming for a job (too much stress). I use Object Pascal (for OpenGL stuff), Haskell (for Project Euler), and C (for everything else). I find it easier to work on small projects, which is probably why I'll never finish something as complex as a game. My latest work is a GIMP plugin which I'm just about to release.

chronozphere
28-09-2009, 07:18 AM
So far I've been using XP and Vista. I'd like to try linux + FPC though. Which distribution do you guys recommend?

pjpdev
28-09-2009, 04:54 PM
So far I've been using XP and Vista. I'd like to try linux + FPC though. Which distribution do you guys recommend?

I'd recommend Ubuntu. It's easy to set up and FPC is included in the software channels. So far I've been using it and I have no troubles.

cragwolf
28-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Which distribution do you guys recommend?

It doesn't really matter. The most popular one is Ubuntu. Debian and Slackware are pretty popular, too, and have been around for a long time. I use Zenwalk. Go to DistroWatch.com and read the descriptions. You have more power to do things in Linux, but more power to mess things up. There's no hand-holding like in MacOSX and Windows, although the community (http://www.linuxquestions.org/) tends to be very helpful.

WILL
29-09-2009, 06:55 AM

I'd recommend Ubuntu. It's easy to set up and FPC is included in the software channels. So far I've been using it and I have no troubles.

What about Lazarus and Kubuntu?

NecroDOME
29-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Well, I never tried Kubuntu, but it seems KDE is far better than Gnome. At work I use Ubuntu, but I find that there are still lots of things missing in the window manager that I can do with windows. For example: I cannot copy folder from my home dir to some system dir. It juist says I don't have privileges. So why doesn't it popup a message box that asks for my password?... So to make things short: It ook me 3 min to find out how to copy a dir to an other dir in total (not copying). So I would say Gnome suck. Big-time. I used KDE before and I think it did the pop-up to ask for a password... don't remember though.... Maybe OpenSuse is the way to go...

WILL
29-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Well, I never tried Kubuntu, but it seems KDE is far better than Gnome. At work I use Ubuntu, but I find that there are still lots of things missing in the window manager that I can do with windows. For example: I cannot copy folder from my home dir to some system dir. It juist says I don't have privileges. So why doesn't it popup a message box that asks for my password?... So to make things short: It ook me 3 min to find out how to copy a dir to an other dir in total (not copying). So I would say Gnome suck. Big-time. I used KDE before and I think it did the pop-up to ask for a password... don't remember though.... Maybe OpenSuse is the way to go...

Naw, just go with Kubuntu (no, not a misspelling) It's Ubuntu but with KDE instead of Gnome. :)

Exact same support I'm told, I just wanted confirmation that Lazarus has no issues with it...

cragwolf
29-09-2009, 10:46 PM
For example: I cannot copy folder from my home dir to some system dir. It juist says I don't have privileges.

Just run the file manager with sudo. Probably "gksudo nautilus".

So why doesn't it popup a message box that asks for my password?...

Probably a philosophical design decision on the part of the Gnome developers.

So to make things short: It ook me 3 min to find out how to copy a dir to an other dir in total (not copying). So I would say Gnome suck. Big-time.

Some things suck, but not Gnome. I use xmonad (http://xmonad.org/). Tiling window managers rule!

NecroDOME
30-09-2009, 08:32 AM
I still want to give KDE a try again. But for the moment I'll stay at windows.

Anyway thanks for the tips :)

paul_nicholls
30-09-2009, 08:37 AM
I still want to give KDE a try again. But for the moment I'll stay at windows.

Anyway thanks for the tips :)

You could always download a virtual linux distro and put it inside a VMWare player using windows as a host like I have done with Ubuntu in the past :)

cheers,
Paul

NecroDOME
30-09-2009, 08:42 AM
You could always download a virtual linux distro and put it inside a VMWare player using windows as a host like I have done with Ubuntu in the past :)

cheers,
Paul

I'm doing that already with Virtual Box :)

pjpdev
30-09-2009, 07:44 PM

cheers,
Paul

Ubuntu also have an option to install on your Windows drive and run it from there, but I prefer to give Linux it's own partition to run on... It gives better performance. ;)

WILL
01-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Ubuntu also gives you the option of setting up a dual boot system too, no?

cragwolf
01-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Any flavour of Linux allows you to dual-boot with Windows. Some distributions just make it easier for you.

NecroDOME
01-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Thats also a drawback from windows: they only allow dual-boot with other versions of windows.