PDA

View Full Version : Raw Disk Access

Brainer
16-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Hello there, guys.

A long time of inactivity, but here is a unit for raw disk reading/writing. It's not related to games, but someone might find it useful someday. :)

Here's the link: http://snipplr.com/view.php?codeview&id=24910

Enjoy. :)

chronozphere
16-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Cool... someone could now make a filesystem in pascal. :D

paul_nicholls
16-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi,
nice work :)

Do you have an example of usage?

I am curious as to what one would actually use this for ;)

cheers,
Paul

Brainer
17-12-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm planning to use it as a helper unit of my VFS project. :)
The idea of this project was already mentioned in this forum, but now the project evolved and is going to be much more complicated than the initial idea was.

It could be used for disk backups for example as it can read a disk sector-by-sector, which may be useful in such programs. I wish I had other OSes so that I could test it, I'd appreciate if someone checked if it works on Windows XP or Windows 7. I'm sure it won't work on Windows ME and earlier.

paul_nicholls
17-12-2009, 02:42 AM
I'd give it a whirl at home, but now I'm using a Vista Home laptop - my XP machine had almost died (random locking up or reboots)...

I also don't know what I would try it with anyway LOL

Keep up the good work :)

BTW, do you think you will continue with your unfuddle 3d project at some point?

How's the schooling working out? well I hope ;)

cheers,
Paul

Brainer
17-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Be careful with it as I temporarily lost access to my HDD, because I damaged the boot sector. :)

@Paul
Yes, I think I'll continue with the project. Are you still going to contribute?
And the schooling's fine, thanks. :)

Hit me on MSN, it's better to talk rather than here. ;)

paul_nicholls
17-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Be careful with it as I temporarily lost access to my HDD, because I damaged the boot sector. :)

@Paul
Yes, I think I'll continue with the project. Are you still going to contribute?
And the schooling's fine, thanks. :)

Hit me on MSN, it's better to talk rather than here. ;)

I would still like to contribute :-)

I will try and talk to you on MSN at home sometime ;)

cheers,
Paul

chronozphere
17-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Be careful with it as I temporarily lost access to my HDD, because I damaged the boot sector. Smiley

So, development and testing of this tool will happen on a dedicated HDD for safety? :)

Brainer
17-12-2009, 03:17 PM
So, development and testing of this tool will happen on a dedicated HDD for safety? :)

After that accident, I was testing the unit on a pendrive. :)

noeska
17-12-2009, 03:33 PM
You could also try testing with a virtual pc like sun virtualbox. That way you also get easy acces to linux etc.

Brainer
17-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks for suggestion, noeska. :) The project's not intended for Linux, unfortunately. But using a sandbox seems to be a good idea, since now I'm going to focus on writing drivers and it'd be really unfortunate if I damaged my OS. :-/